Sengoku Horizon

Look towards the Horizon

The Warring States Period: Fierce warlords fought for control of Japan, and many would perish. When a warrior falls, where does the passion they once held go? Possibly into something dear such as a favorite weapon or heirloom. These heirlooms have been labeled as “relics”, and those that carry them are labeled as “Scions." Recently more and more of these special relics have been activating, signaling the start of a great change as ancient power meets the modern world!

Now For The Local News, 11/01/2017 The dust has cleared after a fierce clash against the rebel Ikko Ikki monks. Now, as a tense period of calm spread over the island nation of Japan the students of Edo Bugei must figure out how to proceed in life after experience such intense conflicts and such deep loss.

Search the Site Announcements Guide Book Rules Quick Start Guide Character Creation Plotting Section Open Threads Missions Shop Chat Area Advertising

Add Reply
New Poll

Science is hard (open)
Aideen
 Posted: Jan 23 2017, 08:24 PM

Story Teller

Group: Members
Member No.: 77

Awards: None

Kire was not under any misapprehensions. Well, he was and several delusions besides, but he did not believe that he would succeed where the authorities had not. There was probably insane amounts of money and effort being put into the hunt for those who had been behind the attack on the shogun. An attack like that was nearly unprecedented, both in ferocity and level of success. But Kire had to do it. He had to do something. So here he was, in the science lab working with unfamiliar equipment off a guide he had pulled off the internet.

Kire had also brought the cross section of the rebel’s blade which he had cut from the center of the sword. Splitting it had confirmed the poor quality which was expected of the blade, and it was a simple set of folds with no frills in the technique. Just what you’d expect of a disposable tool given to a disposable tool. Trouble was, he didn’t have the fancy tools to find out the make up of the metals in the blade, and the school didn’t either. Spectroscopes were not something you just stumbled on and lasers were not something he understood. While testing melting points was feasible, the forge was not the place to do something as fiddly as that and it would not guarantee accurate results.

Science was hard.

But Kire would not be discouraged. This was, after all, only a test run. The authorities were no doubt doing their own work and with luck he might be able to get their results so that he could compare them to his own. The real experiment was finding a way to detect trace elements in the metal. Some commercial manufactures left trace elements of metals that could be easily matched to batches for the authorities. It was also done with bullets though those were easier to make yourself than a blade.

Blades could have makers marks removed even if they weren’t commercial but many smiths left their own personal touches, like a fingerprint. But Kire did not expect to find such a thing on a throw away blade. In his own mind, every smith was as arrogant as he, too proud to let inferior work leave the shop. So these were either cast offs of an assistant while the good things went to the leaders, or were bought or stolen from manufacturers. If he were a real investigator, it would be a thread to follow and send the police.

Even without a mark, there was a chance that this had been bought metal and the metal bars might have the same chemical signature as a bought sword for the same reason. There were two sure fire ways to be untraceable, making the kera yourself, like he had done for his trio, and making the blade from scrap.

Sand was easy to track because it was needed in huge amounts and was expensive. Better to just sell off the kera and use the high profit to buy twenty times the swords the sand would get you. Scrap had its own problems. Specifically every part of it was a problem. Scrap metal often made scrap blades unless you were dedicated to working it back into something of quality but it left its own mark in the striations of the blade. It was more effort than went into a blade sent with an idiot who wasn’t expected to survive.

--------------------
user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image
PMEmail
^
Darkhawkin
 Posted: Jan 23 2017, 10:08 PM

Bugei Adventurer

Member No.: 13

Ever since he meet that man his life had become a total pain, so believed and would continue believe. After all he like the simpler things in life like sleeping, eating and not dealing with people and their outlandish ideas or schemes that involved him doing any sort of work that bored him. Yes, the simpler things in life, however a job was a job and his boss was not someone he wanted to cross. So begrudgingly he had come to the campus to work on the next phase of the project. Which required him to develop a compound of his own making, now while he did like playing with chemicals and experimenting the was an engineer not a chemist and only had the ‘basic’ knowledge. (equivalent to a fourth year chemistry major in university, Toki’s understanding of “basic” is rather outlandish). It didn’t take him long to reach the labs as he knew the most efficient ways to reach all the important corners of the campus, he was after all weird like that.

What Toki found however was not an empty lab but rather one occupied by an overdressed monkey staring at a piece of metal, “Clearly he doesn’t belong here, so why is he wasting his time,” Toki said aloud not realizing that he was speaking and not internalizing his thoughts… again.

Clearly, he would not be able to get his own work done with such and obvious distraction in the room and while he rather just leave the boy alone, it was more efficient and made more sense to just figure out the problem, solve it and send him on his way. So quickly he sundered over to the boy who surely was well aware of his presence and simple asked.
“What are you doing.” It was not even worded as a question, clearly he wasn’t asking if he could help but rather how can I make you leave. Now it was all implied but with Toki’s flat tone and blunt mannerism it came off more genuine the it was meant to be.

--------------------
PM
^
Aideen
 Posted: Jan 24 2017, 07:15 PM

Story Teller

Grinding, magnets, stress tests, those would be good if they didn't require extra knowlege. Not that Kire didn't have it, but it was rusty, he worked with his steel and he could identify steels. That's what being a smith left you. But he didn't need to know quality, he needed to know chemical make ups. Trace elements, percentile make ups that steel was born of. He scrolled through article after article on his phone, hunting for the right kind of chemical or acid test. He'd left a sample to rust but that would take a few days.

The notebook beside him had a list of different tests, most of them had already been crossed out. Easy enough to tell that it was steel, it was cheap, and it would not stand up to repeated use. It wasn't coated in chromium or zinc to make it look better quality than it was, revealing the layers had seen to that. The core looked like it was made of even cheaper steel than the blade which could mean all kinds of things. Either it was from a cheap batch of factory blades or somebody was stretching out their supply of good steel. Well, good was overstating perhaps. Acceptable steel.

Unfortunately, Kire's train of thought was interrupted by an approaching boy. He mostly ignored whomever it was. But he could, at least, spare a reply. "Solving a murder and curing a blight on the world." Kire answered without a hint or emotion or irony. "What are you doing?" He checked his phone again. It looked like the next step would be to fire it up and strain out the metals as they ran out. That would be a pain, especially finding how he'd strain it. He'd have to melt it into a long disc or something with a lot of exposure. If he didn't, the chance of trapped pockets of melted metal under pressure would become a real problem.

--------------------
PMEmail
^
Darkhawkin
 Posted: Jan 29 2017, 05:19 PM

Bugei Adventurer

Solving a murder and curing a blight on the world To which Toki simple replied, “Sounds like a pain.” and when asked what he was doing the boy unknowingly opened a can of worms.

“Attempting to advance the world knowledge about 30 years yet I’m suck making a stupid highly reactive and dangerous compound for a boss that expects way too much out of me. Like I just was to build cool thing not build stupid theoretical doomsday devices. Have you tired spark testing it’ll narrow down they type of steel. Honestly, I wish I had never met those people, I was living a nice and quite life still they barged into my life. I quite happy too building cool gadgets and stuff day and night. By the way if your going to strain test it doesn’t use the whole sample you waste it. I can to this place to expand my creative mind hot get shackled to a desk to build random crap for god knows what, hell I don’t even know why a person would want half the stuff I’m asked to make, seriously who needs that much nitroglycerin. What are we prospectors during the American gold rush. If you can figure out the grade and steel mix you can cross ref with manufacturer at best or worst the metals source. Personally, I don’t know why I put up with it, honestly, I should just quite…. But then again, the girl would be on my case the whole time and while my boss is bad that girl is a lot worse after all if she can keep those three in line. God u shutter what she’d do to me if I up and quit. Anyway, are you going to be long I really need to use this lab.”

The whole time he had been ranting Toki had be pacing around Kire, if he boy hadn’t regretted asking he would now.

--------------------
PM
^
Aideen
 Posted: Jan 30 2017, 09:41 PM

Story Teller

"It is a pain." Kire focused on his work while the boy talked. Mostly he flipped through pages on his phone and pages in his textbook. Cross-referencing his actual notebook was something he'd gotten to the point of abandoning. There just wasn't enough copied information in it yet. But damn, if that guy didn't go on and on. Kire only half listened. If people wanted to vent, let them vent. It wasn't like he had to listen. He wasn't their psychiatrist. Still, they could be polite enough to get one. He didn't go around venting at strangers.

But there were some things that were useful, or at least, they would have been if they weren't so obvious as to already have been tried or shelved. Still, the guy obviously needed some help and trading advice for advice would probably be the fastest way for both of them to get away from each other. "Quit or don't. If it's easier to do the work then work. You have to decide if the job or the girl is worse and, frankly, that doesn't even sound like a contest."

Kire sighed. "Sparks are good for a general check but you don't need them to tell that the metal is trash. I need a more detailed analysis of the steel mixture so I can have something to look for. Most commercial grade trash blades are going to be very similar with only minor differences and those are going to be key. Especially if this turns out to be hand forged out of scrap metal from a construction company or pot maker which I would not put past these morons." He picked up the chunk of metal and flipped it over. "As for time, I don't know. Feel free to use another station, I just need a small area."

--------------------
PMEmail
^
Darkhawkin
 Posted: Feb 6 2017, 09:49 PM

Bugei Adventurer

“Oh trust me I would but one doesn’t say no to the Tokugawa.”
Toki has slowed his pacing and eventually stopped all together once the boy engaged him about the metal.
“Oh so you already know the carbon content that the spark test would tell you, good good. So, I also assume you then cross checked what it was originally used for since I assume you figure it’s a reforge. After all the metal used to create pots and steel beams are vastly different. And once you narrowed that down you a thread you could pull instead of wasting your time on your phone.”

At this point Toki was clearly hovering over the boy, in Toki’s eyes it appeerd that the boy was clearly and hopelessly lost and had no idea what he was doing. “Sadly I cant start till your done, government red tape and all that fun jazz.” Backing away from the boy Toki started pacing again, deep clearly deep in though.

--------------------
PM
^
Aideen
 Posted: Feb 7 2017, 05:43 PM

Story Teller

Dude had some pride, not that Kire was bothered. Pride was good to have when you deserved it. This one certainly had more than a little basic knowlege but it wasn't nearly enough to stop him from being an idiot. It didn't take a mastermind to know when other people were outclassed by you and adjust accordingly.

"I would, probably. Unless you're a Tokugawa too in which case I am saying no." He shrugged. "Benefit of private contracting is saying no to jobs you don't like, be it money, attitude, or whatever." Not that he had much of those. Closest he came was side deals between classes for idiots who couldn't learn how to do their own maintenance and people with too many stars in their eyes wanting a custom blade.

"Well, Mr. Government, not everyone has a database of steel quality make up. Some people have to narrow down the choices and then request information which may not come due to trade secrets and lack of government connections." Kire turned around on his chair. "As for my phone, I'm trying to find out how I can detect trace elements without any fancy equipment so that I can narrow the field from all of japan to maybe a few dozen companies." He turned back to his work.

"Once that's done, you can have this lab. Though if your Tokugawa's really were dedicated they might afford you a private lab instead of a classroom."

--------------------
PMEmail
^
Darkhawkin
 Posted: Feb 16 2017, 06:16 PM

Bugei Adventurer

At this point Toki wasn’t even waiting for the other to finish talking but quickly quipping back at everything, which may ore may not have been slightly under his breath.
Well, Mr. Government, not everyone has a database of steel quality make up…
“Patents are public record.”
Some people have to narrow down the choices …
“Clearly you have.”
request information which may not come due to trade secrets and lack of government connections.
“Again public record.”

Honestly Toki was beginning to wonder if this kid even had a clue what he was doing, and when he told Toki what he was look for on his phone Toki had he answer.
they maybe more futile then I first predicated.

“unless you have a base to start from you wont find what you looking for. There are test and mathematical equations that will give you an answer but as far as I can tell you have zero information then ‘shitty steel’ I doubt you have a rough carbon count, I assume your just guessing its poor steel at this point, if you had any base to stand on you would probably searched up patents to get an idea of were it came from or even new and police reports to see if there was any stolen….” it the boy hadn’t notice Toki was starting to get annoyed for in his mind this kid was just wasting everyone’s time now, clearly he did not think this through and slack any skill or know how and should just and the evidence over to someone who could use it. “Now if your really dead set on it, you going to have to build a ion trap, electro-magnet and a shielded pathway. Now if you have the know how to do that, it should only take you about four months to a year.”

At this point Toki wasn’t even trying to help or solve the problem he was simple hoping the kid would give up.

--------------------
PM
^
Aideen
 Posted: Feb 16 2017, 09:46 PM

Story Teller

Kire frowned as Mr. Government countered his points. But what choice was there in ignoring the guy. He wanted to use the lab for whatever reason and Kire was in his way, but as long as Mr. Government hovered, Kire was not going to be getting his work done. So it seemed they were at an impasse, but that was fine, because Kire was at least where he wanted to be.

"You assume that they've managed to patent themselves a plain mix of steel, hardly a small feat for any company, and that assumes that the mix isn't their own secret mix that they wouldn't deign to share even for a patent." He steepled his fingers and took a slow breath. Calm was what was needed now. No flying off the handle. "Besides, Mr. Government, even if personally asking them wouldn't take too long, who am I that they'll talk to. I'm no Tokugawa or famous heir."

But regardless of what he said, Kire knew that Government had a point. There was very little to do without the proper tools, and getting the tools was far out of his reach. Of course,that's the whole reason he was here, to find out what was and was not possible. Government seemed to know what he was talking about, as useless as the guy was otherwise. "That you assume it is stolen is observant of you, I simply said it could be. As it so happens, it isn't, at least, nothing in quantities so large as to be reported around the country."

"But I concede, I don't have the tools or the time to build the tool I need. I suppose I will have to approach this from a different angle." He smiled but without any joy to it. He was out of any real feasible tests and ideas but he would not be strongarmed out of the classroom for someone else' minor convenience. He had been here first. "Now, if you excuse me, I'm going to see if melting temperatures will help me out, and when that inevitably fails to gauge the quality, I may try splitting it and warping the striations into a possibly recognizable shape. Should all that fail, I will do my chemistry homework in the school chemistry lab where I am kindly allowed to study. Perhaps the red tape can cordon off another lab for your secret work."

--------------------
PMEmail
^
Darkhawkin
 Posted: Feb 24 2017, 11:16 PM

Bugei Adventurer

Toki could only sigh now this kids stubbornness new no bounds especially since he had been given an solution but for some reason called it unfeasible, it was like he didn’t understand the concept of public, internet or database but at this point he was done helping. It was clear that this kids warped virtues gave him a terrible understanding of the world. He figured that this kid was one of those ‘if you not somebody you can’t do anything’ types. Toki hated those people the most for they always shifted their failures and insecurities on to others and never seemed to learn from failure or even worse try in the first place. The more he thought about it the anger and frustrated he got, specially since he realized just how much time he had wasted.

Now Toki just wanted to get done with, which meant much grumbling as Toki gathered and assemble the components for a still. At this point he didn’t care if the kid was still there he just wanted to get the job done and if anyone asked he’d just say the kid was spying or something. He could deal with the ramifications later.

--------------------
PM
^
Aideen
 Posted: Feb 26 2017, 09:09 AM

Story Teller

Kire could be stubborn, in a lot of ways, he was very much like a dog. When pushed, he would push back just as hard. The difference was, he did it on purpose rather than by nature. In the end though, it was like screaming into the void. You did it for your own benefit and it did you no good at all. In the end, it seemed like nothing was left for Kire to do here in the lab. He didn't have access to the data he needed, nor did he have access to the machinery for easier identification.

Too many little things were getting in his way, and every single one of them had a simple and obvious solution that was several leagues out of his grasp. What was the metal composition of the blade? If he knew that, he'd be able to solve every other problem. Well, he had one last option, it wasn't clean, it'd destroy whatever piece he worked on even more than grinding, but it might help. And without any other options, he might as well.

Kire closed his notebook and picked up the slice of sword. He turned it over in his hands, looking at the core and the folds that made up its layers. The smith could not be faulted, not really. Kire hated to admit it but it was not the person's fault. Substandard materials made for sacrificial lambs. In his heart, could he admit to being able to do better? Probably, but not without taking more time. Kire was a lot of things, but he was not very fast.

Well, there was no helping it. He slipped the blade into his jackeet pocket and his phone into another. Kire would head back to the forge or possible to the kilns. He needed a slow, controled heat to do the melting temperature test to see if that might break down the metals in the blade. He checked his station one more time to make sure he hadn't forgotten anything and walked out.

--------------------
PMEmail
^
Darkhawkin
 Posted: Mar 24 2017, 07:24 AM

Bugei Adventurer

With the other fellow gone Toki didn't have to worry about distractions or leaks now. It was too bad though, Toki had every intention of helping but you can't cure ignorance. didn't matter now as Toki simple got to work.

(EXIT)

--------------------
PM
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Add Reply
New Poll

skin by bonbon.
Affiliates [ View All | Link-us ]
Summers Past Wicked Wonderland Rpg-Directory Panda Directory Below The Sun Distant Fantasies Stranger Than Fiction Seicho No Hana World of Remnant Avalon Fairy Tail Guild .hack//infinity PANDORA'S ASCENSION FORCED HEROES UNBOUND Black Static HEART SIGH Pandora Sedition Persona: Shallow Colour Bleach Platinum Hearts PAINTING UNDER THE FLAMES Tales of Hyrule RWBY-AU Those Among Us Starfall Together We Fall fate/breaking chains misfts! Chaos Theory Rise of the Believers Valar Dohaeris Love Hina Generation This Too Shall Pass Reach For The Stars Terrasphere Stay Chroniques de la Dynastie le Roi Soleil Piori Incantatem Renascence Apotheosis STARSTRUKK Alohomora Infamy Indigo Plateau Stroke of Luck Valar Dohaeris kaleidoscope Blackballad Megalomania Catch-22 Naruto: Shinobi Stories Break The Wheel