Sengoku Horizon

Look towards the Horizon

The Warring States Period: Fierce warlords fought for control of Japan, and many would perish. When a warrior falls, where does the passion they once held go? Possibly into something dear such as a favorite weapon or heirloom. These heirlooms have been labeled as “relics”, and those that carry them are labeled as “Scions." Recently more and more of these special relics have been activating, signaling the start of a great change as ancient power meets the modern world!

Now For The Local News, 04/01/2018 The Chinese delegation have now arrived at the city of Edo. They have come to learn more about the state of Japan, the Shogunate, and it's Scions. We will be having a Lunar New Year's celebration, a school dance, and a combat tournament with them!

Search the Site Announcements Guide Book Rules Quick Start Guide Character Creation Plotting Section Open Threads Missions Shop Chat Area Advertising

Add Reply
New Poll

The Truth In The Pages (Masato X Ripley)
Nobuyumi
 Posted: Dec 23 2017, 05:54 PM

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

Awards: None

Masato kept his eyes closed. The third year's curly hair looked a bit more unkempt than it normally would but that was due to how long he'd been studying and playing with his hair. Dressed in his school outfit he sat at a desk in his dorm room staring at a collection of lose papers he had wrapped and bound together only a few hours before.

The Ikko had attacked while Masato was away from Edo. The fact he couldn't defend his own country had bothered the third year something fierce. Out of frustration, in order to be ready next time, he had been working extremely hard at reading combat strategies to both sap and defend a city. He had gone with the basic books of war strategy from China and Japan. Though something bothered him.

"Why?" he asked himself for the twelfth time as he looked at the papers in front of him. After studying the basics of city warfare again he had gone to the library to make a few copies of war papers made by past strategy students. In the writings he had found something that had bothered him. While pouring over past student's work he found two pieces, one of them by Kajiwara Masumi, his senpai. The other work was by a student named Gamo Takamaru. Something was wrong with the papers they had written. Most students wrote strategy memos from the perspective of open field warfare. Fortunately urban warfare was quite rare. However here it was, two different papers both written in the past two years, both not only focusing on urban sieges but both clearly being written from the standpoint of defending the city of Edo. In Masato's mind it wasn't a bad thing. It made perfect sense that a student would write from what they knew. However, both students wrote in such detail as though they had expected the attack on Edo to happen at any moment. He needed to know why. He needed to look into more of the work they did.

With that he quickly grabbed a few books, put them in a messenger bag, and headed off towards the library. Though as he passed the two lower floors of the dorms he paused. He had heard about a fairly new student. A lot of people had said he didn't have much combat potential. Though one person said the boy could supposedly "scan" books. Somehow knowing the book's intentions and acting as though he could speak with the authors. As he remembered the rumors Masato's eyes widened. He had a strange name too, which is why so many rumors had started spreading about the boy.
"Ripley." he said quietly. Now he just needed to find the boy.

Shoy

--------------------
Azai Nobuyori
The stuck up clan lord who defends the people.

Tagami Yumiko
The adorable poet girl who hates war.

Katayama, Masato
A strategist bent on changing the world.
PMEmail
^
Shoy
 Posted: Dec 26 2017, 10:19 PM

Story Teller

Group: Members
Member No.: 114

Ripley went all out today. They didn’t didn’t always bother with the whole kit and kaboodle when they were a girl, usually chucking on a dress would be enough, but Ripley hadn’t had enough sleep and the best way to conquer that cranky mood was to give themselves - though “herself” might have been more apt for a day like today - a bit of a pamper.

So it was with the girl’s school uniform, a padded bra, full makeup, their relic tied around their neck like a dainty scarf and an all-over fresh shave (complete with floral-scented shaving cream, a smell which lingered on them still) that Ripley left their dorm room for the afternoon, with the intention of heading off to a drama club meeting that had been scheduled for that afternoon.

Ripley didn’t pay much heed to their surroundings as they breezed through the dorms to get to the school proper and the club rooms - as little time as they’d spent here, they knew the way through this part of the school fairly well by now. Ripley noticed some weird kid seemingly just standing there staring into space - Ripley wasn't sure what he was doing, they were behind him and couldn't see his face, but that was what it looked like he was doing from here. Ripley shrugged it off - there were some pretty weird people around, whether you were at a poor kids school or the fanciest school in the country, it was the same everywhere - or, at least, they shrugged it off until they walked past, behind him, just in time to hear him whisper something under his breath: Ripley.

What the heck. There was no way that was referring to anything other than the Ripley who was standing behind him - Ripley was hardly a common name. Of course, they had no idea why he said it but when someone says your name, without context, as you’re walking past you’re liable to wonder what they meant by it. Ripley had never seen this kid before and though it was somewhat pleasing that a random stranger would know their name, it was perhaps less pleasing if that whisper was derogatory. It easily could have been in an "Oh God, not Ripley" sense and Ripley wasn't going to let it slide if it was.

Ripley strode out in front of the boy. Nope, not someone they knew. “I’m sorry,” they said, though they sounded more indignant than sorry, “But did I by any chance hear you say 'Ripley'?”

--------------------
PM
^
Nobuyumi
 Posted: Dec 29 2017, 12:43 PM

Administrator

As Masato wondered how to find the boy a strange girl he didn't recognize stood in front of him. “I’m sorry,” they said, though they sounded more indignant than sorry, “But did I by any chance hear you say 'Ripley'?” instantly Masato picked up on the floral scent they gave off. Though the third year was quick to wonder why such a cute girl was in the boy's side of the dorms of all things. Not that it mattered so much to him what younger students decided to do outside of classes. He just hoped whoever she was seeing understood proper birth control methods and what was and wasn't allowed inside of the academy.

Giving a polite smile with kind eyes Masato looked at the cute girl and gave a bit of a polite bow.
"Ah, yes. I'm trying to find him. I feel he could be quite useful in my research. Are you by chance his friend? it is quite rare to see a girl wondering about the boy's side of the dorms." his done had no condescension, and it wasn't telling her off by any means. It was more a question and stated fact. The entire time Masato had been at Edo Bugei he had very rarely seen women in the men's dorms. Unless of course it was extremely late in the evening.

Coming from extremely powerful families many of the female students tended to worry about rumors and how others might see them to be caught in the male dorm halls at odd hours. Sometimes even to be caught at all would be enough to make their school life fairly chaotic.
"If you are lost, I believe their dorm room is somewhere on this floor. I can certainly aid you in finding it." he offered.

--------------------
Azai Nobuyori

Tagami Yumiko

Katayama, Masato
PMEmail
^
Shoy
 Posted: Jan 3 2018, 06:49 PM

Story Teller

Ripley’s eyebrows shot up. This kid was trying to find them? Whatever for, that was the question. Something about research but that was an incredibly vague statement. He seemed like a fairly polite kid though, and Ripley couldn’t hear any malice in his tone. And if he was looking for Ripley's help that meant he likely bore no ill will, so that at least was good.

His insistence that Ripley was a boy was annoying, though it seemed to Ripley there was a good chance that it came out of blissful ignorance and not out of obstinate hatred. It would be easy enough for Ripley to correct that, and though they wanted to stop him right there and right now to fix it simply so they wouldn't have to put up with hearing it for longer, this wasn’t a common situation and Ripley was going to have some fun with it. A little bit of revenge for the mistake, Ripley supposed, and though this kid’s offer of help was likely well-meant it felt subtly patronising to Ripley.

Boy, would this kid be in for a surprise later on.

Ripley waited until after the comment about being lost and offering help to reply. “Yeah, I suppose you could say we’re acquainted,” Ripley said, making a show of checking their nails. “You could say we’re quite close, even.” The implications of this statement were deliciously vague, and Ripley privately hoped that this new kid’s imagination would do the legwork of filling in exactly what it meant. Sometimes leaving things unexplained and getting them to fill in the blanks came up with better and more amusing ideas than Ripley could ever hope to. “There are all kinds of reasons for a girl to be in the boys’ dorm, though,” Ripley continued, crossing their arms though they let a smile play on their lips, “I hope you’re not taking issue with it?”

The drama club meeting was not forgotten, though it was wilfully ignored for now. This was far more interesting than some silly meeting which happen again soon enough, anyway. Who cared if the next part was blatant lies, it was fun blatant lies. “I was going to drop in on Ripley right now, actually. It’s kind of you to offer help but I know the way there quite well. You said you were looking for Ripley too, right? You’re welcome to walk there with me.” Hopefully, if this kid's imagination had conjured up some imagined bizarre relation between his idea of Ripley and his idea of this girl in front of him, it wouldn't be something that prevented him from wanting to walk there together. Ripley had a few questions and this was the perfect opportunity to get answers.

“I’m interested to hear, though - how’d you hear about Ripley? What d'you know about them?”

--------------------
PM
^
Nobuyumi
 Posted: Jan 6 2018, 10:59 PM

Administrator

“There are all kinds of reasons for a girl to be in the boys’ dorm, though,” Ripley continued, crossing their arms though they let a smile play on their lips, “I hope you’re not taking issue with it?” with the words Masato looked suddenly taken back. After all it wasn't as though Masato was purely judging. What others did in the dorms really weren't a matter of importance to the young man.
"No, I have no issue." he responded politely, all be it a bit blushing and embarrassed. He took a moment to re-adjust his collar and tie as the girl looked at him.
“I was going to drop in on Ripley right now, actually. It’s kind of you to offer help but I know the way there quite well. You said you were looking for Ripley too, right? You’re welcome to walk there with me.” the offer must have been a return for Masato's offer earlier.

"That would be quite kind. Thank you." Masato said with a kind smile. After all he wasn't about to reject a bit of help in finding this mysterious student. Masato gave a polite bow as though to acknowledge the student's kindness. With any luck this wouldn't be a long, drawn out process. The dorms weren't that large after all. Thus, Masato started walking with the girl as she asked what he wanted with her friend. Masato paused for a moment. It wasn't good to openly talk about other student's relic powers. Not every student wanted their powers known after all, and simply because the girl said she was close to Ripley hardly meant that it was the truth.

"I feel they can better help me examine some research from other students. Apparently your friend is known to be quite intuitive and fresh eyes can be a blessing." Masato smiled as he said the words. He was speaking in half truths of course. When he said intuitive he clearly meant Ripley's relic, but that person didn't need to know that right now. For now Masato just needed to find them.
"May I ask how you and this Ripley person became so well acquainted?" Masato asked in order to keep up the polite conversation.

--------------------
Azai Nobuyori

Tagami Yumiko

Katayama, Masato
PMEmail
^
Shoy
 Posted: Jan 13 2018, 11:44 PM

Story Teller

Hah. Ripley's lips pressed into a thin smile. The guy was basically squirming in response to the line of questioning over why a girl would be in the boy’s dorm. This whole thing was getting funnier every minute, and Ripley wondered how long they would be able to keep it up without making the guy insanely angry. He’d probably be at least a little angry or confused that Ripley hadn’t just introduced themselves outright, and Ripley was prepared to deal with that; they just hoped it wouldn’t be so severe a reaction that they wouldn’t get to find out what he wanted Ripley’s help with.

“No problem. It’s just this way,” Ripley said, and began to lead. Ripley had the idea of going round the dorm in circles and seeing how long it would take for him to notice that they were leading him nowhere. As tempting as it was, though, Ripley wasn’t quite sure if it would be wise considering the big surprise of Ripley’s identity. It didn’t seem like a smart thing to keep finding different ways to pull his leg when Ripley burned to know exactly why this guy wanted their help and the only answers he gave were exceedingly vague. Who knew what his limit would be before the joking was too much and he didn't want their help anymore? Oh well, whatever the case, they’d make up their mind of whether or not to play that particular joke when they reached the end of the corridor and had to make a turn.

But before they’d reached there, he had a question for Ripley: “May I ask how you and this Ripley person became so well acquainted?” Damn, they’d have to think of an excuse/answer to that question after all.

Ripley had the perfect idea of what to say, though: they’d tell some story about how Ripley was their best friend in the whole world and how Ripley meant so much to them, they’d been friends since practically forever and having Ripley in their life made the life worth living. Go for way too melodramatic. And then end it with a big, fat, slow wink.

But that was it. They couldn’t pull it off; all this was too funny. Ripley burst out laughing.

“Sorry!” Ripley veritably shrieked with laughter. “Sorry, I can’t take it! Oh man, that’s the funniest shit I’ve done in ages.” They were bent double from laughing so hard and had to wiped a tear from the corner of their eye. “And I haven't even introduced myself yet! Trust me, it’ll clear things up when I do.” Ripley wiped their hand on their skirt before offering it for a Western-style handshake. “The name’s Akagi Ripley. What’s this about some research project you want my help with?”

--------------------
PM
^
Nobuyumi
 Posted: Jan 17 2018, 10:08 PM

Administrator

As Masato went around with the girl she suddenly broke down laughing. As Masato looked at her curiously the girl was quick to explain her laughing, catching even the third year strategist off guard.
“Sorry!” Ripley veritably shrieked with laughter. “Sorry, I can’t take it! Oh man, that’s the funniest shit I’ve done in ages.” They were bent double from laughing so hard and had to wiped a tear from the corner of their eye. “And I haven't even introduced myself yet! Trust me, it’ll clear things up when I do.” Ripley wiped their hand on their skirt before offering it for a Western-style handshake. “The name’s Akagi Ripley. What’s this about some research project you want my help with?”

Slightly in shock Masato stood, gazing upon the person before him. It made sense, in many ways. A girl in the boy's dorm, who knew Ripley a long time, and was willing to guide Masato to him. The lack of introduction. The dodging in a way of questions. It all made complete sense. This person wasn't some random person here to see their lover but instead was exactly the person Masato was looking for.

Not one to take things overly serious Masato simply smiled and gave a light chuckle.
"Very well played." the third year said, holding Ripley's hand and giving it a firm, western style shake with no shame or shock in his eyes. Masato's face showed the boy had been caught off guard, but his eyes still seemed as focused and eager as ever.
"It is a pleasure to finally meet you." Masato said with a polite bow. Masato didn't have time no interest to question Ripley's outfit choice. After all, if Ripley cared to explain then they would. For now Masato had established connection, goal would be next, and a report with them would likely simply develop along the way.

Though Masato did adjust his outfit a bit. Somehow it felt off as he seemed to leap a bit at Ripley's sudden reveal.
"I am told, by some rumors, and quite a few Bugei files to be quite honest, that you have the ability to tell an author's intent from a manuscript they wrote. I need you to come with me to analyze books by past students. I believe that some of the Bugei's students may very well have known about the Ikko attack on Edo long before it took place." his explanation was to the point, but his face looked quite serious. He needed to know exactly why the attack on Edo had gone so well for the Ikko and if the Bugei knew about the attack before hand.

--------------------
Azai Nobuyori

Tagami Yumiko

Katayama, Masato
PMEmail
^
Shoy
 Posted: Feb 2 2018, 03:26 AM

Story Teller

Even as they laughed so hard their stomach hurt, Ripley had the slowly creeping concern that he would take it poorly - but what should he do but chuckle and tell Ripley “very well played” and “it is a pleasure to finally meet you”. That was nothing like Ripley had expected he would react, and on top of that he took the handshake firmly and without qualms despite the lack of any proper, formal bowing that ought to be stock-standard in such an uptight place as Edo Bugei.

Ripley raised an eyebrow, though the grinned too. This guy seemed pretty chill and he didn’t seem to care that, in his perspective at least, Ripley was thoroughly crossdressing, or if he did care he wasn’t making a big deal about it, and that was enough for Ripley. It was a good sign that he wouldn’t just flip out because of who they were, and he might be more willing to do something for them in exchange for Ripley’s help, or even - as the less cynical part of Ripley's brain engaged - be a friend. “Oh, please. The pleasure’s all mine, really.”

They let the handshake drop, and as he began to explain what he wanted Ripley for they put their hands on their hips and regarded him intensely, clearly thinking hard about what he was saying.

“What you’ve heard isn’t wrong,” they began, “but mind you, it can be a slow process if there’s heaps to go through. Relics need time to cool down, after all. If you can point out key sentences and passages it’ll make things a mite bit quicker.” They crossed their arms. “Though I am a little offended that you’d think a stranger would help you randomly out of goodwill. There’s nothing stopping me from simply saying no to this, and if you’re talking students predicting Ikko attacks that’s gettin’ into some pretty controversial stuff that I’m not certain I want to be part of.” Well, that was true except for the bit where Ripley wanted more than anything to be in that controversy. The more you were known for, the better. “What’s in for me, punk?”

They paused for a moment to make seem like they were thinking though they knew right away what they wanted from him. Three small things: why he wanted to do this whole thing of his, what else he'd heard about Ripley other than the relic powers, and finally to slip a few doctored rumours of Ripley's own choosing into circulation. Things such as how cool Ripley was and everyone should be friends with them, or something along those lines. “Actually, you know what, I’ll cut you a deal. I’ll lend my abilities to your little project thingy, and you can answer a couple of questions for me, maybe spread a couple of rumours. That sound fair?”

--------------------
PM
^
Nobuyumi
 Posted: Feb 5 2018, 09:35 PM

Administrator

“What’s in for me, punk?” As Ripley asked and explained that nothing is done of good will Masato looked slightly taken back. Of all the things Masato had been called in his life, things like genius and beggar, he had never actually been referred to as a punk before. The words clearly made him pause as Ripley then took a bit of time to apparently think over the issue.

“Actually, you know what, I’ll cut you a deal. I’ll lend my abilities to your little project thingy, and you can answer a couple of questions for me, maybe spread a couple of rumours. That sound fair?” The proposal, though the terms still seemed slightly ambiguous, could hardly be called unfair. After all, to the best of Masato's knowledge Ripley was in fact the only person capable of what Masato needed most right now. Masato lightly ran his hand through his hair and gazed as Ripley before replying. Of all the ways he had expected today to turn out, and certainly he had expected many things, this was never even close to what he had planned. Though it was also far from what the strategist would consider a negative turn out. No matter how he looked at it Masato was fairly certain that by the end of the day he would get what he had come for.

"Well, I suppose what is in it for you is aiding the Shogunate and the Bugei in a matter of high importance, as well as aiding a third year." Ripley explained calmly. Then broke into a large smile.
"Now, in regards to your proposal, I certainly can't object. I think its fair for you to ask whatever you'd like. The rumors part though, I'll do my best. and with that a rather cute chuckle escaped the boy's throat. Masato definitely seemed the type to take things in stride, one by one as they happened. The only time this wasn't true was when a group of females had seem him in the nude over Halloween, though that was a different tale all together.

For now Masato was eager to get his new pet project started. For that they would need to go the library though.
"If you would be so kind as to escort me to the library I will certainly answer whatever questions you may have for me." he politely suggested as he started walking. He certainly didn't wish to waste either he nor Ripley's time with what they needed to accomplish tonight.

--------------------
Azai Nobuyori

Tagami Yumiko

Katayama, Masato
PMEmail
^
Shoy
 Posted: Feb 15 2018, 01:02 AM

Story Teller

Ripley literally could not care less about aiding the Shogun and Edo Bugei or whatever it was that he was going on about. They didn’t a strong enough sense of loyalty to those things for them to go out of their way to achieve that end. Sure, they weren’t going to complain if their actions did that, and they weren’t averse to it, they just largely didn’t care. It was a plea that would work on many, but it wasn’t going to work on Ripley. Though his acceptance of Ripley’s suggestion would:

This guy seemed to be quite easygoing after all, what with how willing he was to abide by Ripley’s desires, and how calmly he’d taken Ripley’s earlier revelation. Ripley wasn’t expecting him to be so receptive. He must have wanted Ripley’s help pretty badly to accept their terms so readily.

Ripley smirked. “Suits me. C’mon.” They had been asked to escort him, after all, so Ripley took the lead as they began the walk to the library. As they walked, Ripley began their interrogation, though they would leave space between each line of questioning, only continuing when Masato had finished answering each one, to allow him some time to actually answer the questions:

“OK so, first of all, I’d like to know who you are. You know, name, track, that sort of thing.”

“Second, I’m curious to know how you found out about me. Like, did someone specific tell you? Or was it a more general talk about me? Who was talking, how many people did they talk to, and what did they say about me?”

“Third and final - see, that didn’t hurt too much did it - why are you so interested in this other student’s writings? Why does it matter to you?”

Ripley stretched their arms a little after that; they still had a little ways to go before they reached the library, so there would be the time to broach the second part of their request. “Now, when it comes to the rumours you’ll have to gimme a moment after we’re done with your whole thing to write up a list for you, but it’ll just be standard stuff, you know, like what a cool, funny person Ripley is and that everyone should want to know them… oh, I’d like if you could pass on too that gender neutral terms are preferred, just to clear up any confusion about the way I dress…” They grinned at Masato. “Yeah, you know what, I’ll just write that list for you later. It'll be easier. But that’s the gist of it anyway.”

--------------------
PM
^
Nobuyumi
 Posted: Feb 17 2018, 11:42 PM

Administrator

With the terms and conditions dually agreed to the two strange new companions began their trek towards Edo Bugei's library building. Masato didn't mind Ripley. Though Masato didn't mind much really. Masato was one to simply go with the flow, even in combat. It was what both his studies, and life in general, had taught him. However, as they traveled Ripley was rather quick to start the barrage of questions they had apparently made for the trip.
“OK so, first of all, I’d like to know who you are. You know, name, track, that sort of thing.” Masato couldn't help but laugh a bit. It was such a basic question to start with. Though, it would give a lot to build off of. Thus Masato didn't mind answering.
"Simple enough start. Well, I am third year of the strategist track, Katayama Masato." he said. It was concise, and honest. As though to confirm it Masato also showed his school I.D. to make it clear he was hiding nothing from his new accomplis.

“Second, I’m curious to know how you found out about me. Like, did someone specific tell you? Or was it a more general talk about me? Who was talking, how many people did they talk to, and what did they say about me?” At this Masato found the question interesting. Ripley was curious just how much people spoke of them. Natural for someone like them, but Masato couldn't help but find it a bit arrogant to ask. Possibly even over thinking on Ripley's part.
"I've mostly heard first and second year students speaking of you. Not very many, but a few in passing. I consider myself quite observant." Masato said politely as they left the large dorm building and moved out to Edo Bugei's quad. The sun had come up and the area was lovely for it being a cold winter day.

“Third and final - see, that didn’t hurt too much did it - why are you so interested in this other student’s writings? Why does it matter to you?” at the question a large smile crossed Masato's face. This was it wasn't it? This was the hard hitting question Masato had seen coming and now it was upon them. The real fruit of the matter.
"Well, because infering is terrible." Masato answered.
"I can read the working of other students all day and night and assume what they meant or thought. However, with you around, I don't have to make assumptions. Thus I can both learn and plan more." he explained while moving his hands a bit. He didn't usually talk much with his hands but this was an important note of the entire outing and he subconsciously wanted to make sure to emphasize it.

As they approached the library Ripley clearly had a few more words.
“Now, when it comes to the rumours you’ll have to gimme a moment after we’re done with your whole thing to write up a list for you, but it’ll just be standard stuff, you know, like what a cool, funny person Ripley is and that everyone should want to know them… oh, I’d like if you could pass on too that gender neutral terms are preferred, just to clear up any confusion about the way I dress…” They grinned at Masato. “Yeah, you know what, I’ll just write that list for you later. It'll be easier. But that’s the gist of it anyway.” Masato gave Ripley a kind smile as they entered the rather empty school library.
"Not a problem at all. I look forward to your list." Masato said. Ripley may have thought it a lie, or sarcasm, however Masato was not genuinely curious to see what it was Ripley would come up with. Meanwhile as they moved towards the front desk Masato showed his I.D. to one of the students walking around helping others who he'd seen at the library a few times prior.

"May I go to the basement and use the student archives?" he asked politely. He wanted to make sure no one else was in the basement or that for some reason they where sealed. Fortunately the other student quickly confirmed they could take the newly installed elevator down to the second basement floor. As they got into the library Masato looked at Ripley.
"May I ask why the words and opinions of others matter to you so much? Also, do you come to the library often?"

--------------------
Azai Nobuyori

Tagami Yumiko

Katayama, Masato
PMEmail
^
Shoy
 Posted: Mar 3 2018, 05:05 PM

Story Teller

Katayama Masato, huh? And a strategist? It would make sense then why he was interested in some documents about the Ikko attack. Perhaps he was interested to see what ideas the student that wrote it had come up with about strategies and such. Ripley wrinkled their nose at the showing of Masato’s ID: they didn’t see why anyone would need ID in such a casual situation. It was a needless formality.

So, from Masato’s explanation, it sounded like any rumours flying around about Ripley were vague at best and didn’t refer to much other than their relic powers. It would need some work but with any luck Masato’s help would be enough for that.

Ripley could understand Masato’s desire to know things for certain instead of just guessing all the time. It was a feeling that Ripley had felt themselves often enough, whether tied to curiosity or like Masato said to making a plan. Ripley wondered what he was trying to plan, though… well, surely he wouldn’t mind one more question.

When he was finished, Ripley gave him a thumbs-up. “OK, I lied, that wasn’t the last question. What’s this plan of yours that you’re wanting to learn more to accomplish?”

Ripley laughed. “I look forward to your list,” he said. Ripley was pretty sure that must have been sarcastic but whatever he thought didn’t matter here. He’d have to do it anyway.

Masato asked if he could go to the basement. “Yeah. That where this document you want me to look at is kept?” They gestured out with one arm into the library, not towards the basement though because Ripley’s adventures in the library were yet to take them there and they didn’t actually know where it was. So just a general gesture vaguely in the direction of the entire library - possible because they had only just entered - would have to suffice. “Lead the way.”

Masato had a couple of questions of his own for Ripley. “I’m a writer by trade so yeah, you could say I come here a bit. It’s a good pace to go if you wanna get writing done.” Ripley paused a moment before tackling the other question. “Why do words and opinions matter to me so much? Have you ever heard the saying, the pen is mightier than the sword? They weren’t kidding when they said that, y’know. Words and opinions define the world. They define history.” Ripley cracked a sarcastic smile. “Aside from that I’m gonna try to break into an industry where reputation is everything. It helps to know what bullshit people are saying about you so’s you know how to respond to it without looking like even more of an idiot.”

--------------------
PM
^
Nobuyumi
 Posted: Mar 4 2018, 03:25 PM

Administrator

Ripley gave a strong thumbs up.
“OK, I lied, that wasn’t the last question. What’s this plan of yours that you’re wanting to learn more to accomplish?” Ripley asked their apparent partner. It was a very serious question but not necessarily one Masato could answer at the moment. After all, Masato had ideas of what he may or may not find, but it was hardly a clear answer. The third year didn't like the thought of lying to Ripley. Thus, he gave what was possibly too honest of an answer.
"I'm honestly unsure until I find it." he said simply. It may have hurt the moral a bit, however it was honest.

The two then started moving towards the basement as Ripley explained why the words of others seemed to matter so much to them. Masato listened carefully, not commenting. Masato's opinion on what others thought of him was far less important. After all, half of Masato's occupation was understanding others, not the other way around. In fact the more people got wrong about him probably the better, in case they happened to be Ikko or enemy ninja. Pushing the button to the elevator the two got in.
"I appreciate your explaining that to me." he said as the elevator dinged, closing the doors as the two went down to a rather dark, large room downstairs. The room smelled old and had various books behind glass and lock. However, the books didn't look nearly as old as the ones usually kept further down. This room was the students writings archive. Inside the room sat a few private rooms people could choose, as well as a few desks with four chairs each.
"I'd rather not risk others seeing all of this, or hearing it. Not that I expect people will come down here anyway." he said and motioned to one of the private rooms before walking over to a small computer with an index look up already pulled up.

"Masumi, Kajiwara." he entered into the author's tab. It quickly pulled up a series of writings done by Masumi, specifically the ones done within the past four calendar years.
"So before I grab this book, how exactly does this ability work? How long of a window are we given to understand the information?" he asked Ripley point blank. The normally casual boy looked surprisingly focused.

--------------------
Azai Nobuyori

Tagami Yumiko

Katayama, Masato
PMEmail
^
Shoy
 Posted: Mar 14 2018, 06:22 PM

Story Teller

Ripley frowned. “I'm honestly unsure until I find it,” he said? What kind of nonsense was that. Ripley didn’t see how this guy could be so dedicated to trying to find and answer but not really having anything to do with that answer. Ripley could understand wanting to know simply for the sake of knowing but going to all that work for it and not simply admitting it upfront seemed a bit silly. Ripley didn’t think Masato was lying, but they did think it wasn’t the most logical thing that had ever been done. “Hah. So you’d just go to all this work without a goal in mind? Great plan.”

The elevator dinged and the doors opened to reveal the basement. Ripley whistled. “Sick place.” It was pretty cool down here, actually. It was dark and that made it feel secretive; the smell was prominent and made the place feel old somehow. Ripley could imagine it might once have been a prison or something. Whatever its past was, it held books now, some of which had to be locked up behind glass. If stuff down here had to be kept under lock and key there must have been some pretty important or classified stuff inside. Ripley itched to know what it was but that would probably be veering out of the territory of forgivable misdemeanors and into the realm of highly illegal treason. Either that or the books were just old and needed to be protected lest they were destroyed. The latter seemed a more sensible solution but it was less exciting so Ripley chose to believe the former.

Apparently Masato didn't want other to see what was about to take place. Ripley raised an eyebrow as they took a seat at the desk in the little private room that Masato had ushered them to. Ripley made themselves comfortable, sliding their chair back a little to give them the room to put their feet up on the desk. As they did so Masato fiddled around at the computer, mentioning a name. Ripley didn’t recognise the name of the student who Masato mentioned. It was probably for the better, anyway. Analyzing the work of someone they knew would be awkward as hell. “Don’t want this to be seen, ey? Shady. This Masumi guy deal or something?” Despite their words, Ripley's tone was light, energetic even.

With a sudden and surprising focus, Masato asked about Ripley’s powers. Ripley sighed. “All right, here’s the low-down. I can only look at one sentence at a time and it needs a lil while in between uses to cool off. We could be here a while if you’ve got a lot of stuff to go through. That’s why it’s better if you can point me to the most important bits straight off. Makes things a bit quicker.”

--------------------
PM
^
Nobuyumi
 Posted: Mar 19 2018, 12:06 PM

Administrator

“Don’t want this to be seen, ey? Shady. This Masumi guy deal or something?” At Ripley's words Masato gave a light, but somehow sad laugh. As though he had heard a funny joke but didn't want to admit the humor in it for this own sake. As Ripley explained how their powers worked the tactician nodded, clearly intrigued at the thought.

"Hmmm. I see. I will try and find proper text then." he responded and opened up the book. It looked to be mostly typed as opposed to hand written. This didn't really surprise him given how sick Masumi was most of the time. He had heard rumors that at times Masumi's hands would get fairly shaky due to lack of strength. As he carefully looked at the cover, "A Treatise about Town Defense."[/b] he spoke to ripley, not daring to look up from the book.
"Kajiwara, Masumi, wasn't......exactly the type I would avoid. It was more he was very intelligent but extremely sickly. I'm sure you may have heard rumors about how their use to be a sickly student living in the dorms that some said haunted the boy's dorms. That was he." Masato seemed tos how tragic tones and sentiments. It was clear that he felt bad for Masumi's illness.

"He rarely left his room, but he was fairly quiet and nice. The few days he was feeling well he even taught a few classes on poetry and strategy. I thought maybe you could summon his ghost, and that isn't something I want other people seeing. As my now deceased Senpai, I don't wish to put more ill rumors upon his name." it was the first time Ripley would have seen Masato serious about something as Masato kept his head down flipping through the book. It had carefully diagrams on castles of large cities like Edo and Osaka, as well as their castles and how one could defend weak spots on basic city designs. Though as he flipped through the pages he found something he may have been looking for as he went back to the start of the book. It was in the introduction thesis about why the book had been written. The sentence clearly read
"Should the need arise for such defense." pointing it out Masato lifted his head and looked at Ripley.
"Could you please use your powers on this sentence?"

--------------------
Azai Nobuyori

Tagami Yumiko

Katayama, Masato
PMEmail
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Add Reply
New Poll

skin by bonbon.
Affiliates [ View All | Link-us ]
Summers Past Wicked Wonderland Rpg-Directory Panda Directory Below The Sun Distant Fantasies Seicho No Hana World of Remnant Fairy Tail Guild .hack//infinity PANDORA'S ASCENSION FORCED HEROES UNBOUND Black Static HEART SIGH Pandora Sedition Persona: Shallow Colour PAINTING UNDER THE FLAMES Tales of Hyrule RWBY-AU Those Among Us Starfall Together We Fall fate/breaking chains misfts! Chaos Theory Rise of the Believers Valar Dohaeris Love Hina Generation This Too Shall Pass Terrasphere CONFESSIONS Chroniques de la Dynastie le Roi Soleil Piori Incantatem Renascence STARSTRUKK ALOHOMORA | A NON-CANON HARRY POTTER RP Stroke of Luck Valar Dohaeris Prismatic Megalomania Catch-22 Break The Wheel BROKEN BONES & DIAL TONES! To Be Unmade: A marvel infinity war rp Celestial Gateway Academy Seito Institute Sidereal Gardens The Gaea Chronicles AGE OF KINGS LOREM IPSUM SAVE ME Kids in America Pokemon Horizons Imagine Fairy Tail Our Heroes and Villains EVENT HORIZON The Duality of Man LOVE TALK