Sengoku Horizon

Look towards the Horizon

The Warring States Period: Fierce warlords fought for control of Japan, and many would perish. When a warrior falls, where does the passion they once held go? Possibly into something dear such as a favorite weapon or heirloom. These heirlooms have been labeled as “relics”, and those that carry them are labeled as “Scions." Recently more and more of these special relics have been activating, signaling the start of a great change as ancient power meets the modern world!

Now For The Local News, 06/01/2018 The Chinese delegation have now arrived at the city of Edo. Making friends and learning about Edo Culture is their current aim! In other news it is also time for the school dance event! Please bring your characters along!

Search the Site Announcements Guide Book Rules Quick Start Guide Character Creation Plotting Section Open Threads Missions Shop Chat Area Advertising

Pages: (3) 1 2 3  ( Go to first unread post )
Closed
New Poll

What's For Lunch? [OPEN], okonomiyaki
Moby Dick
 Posted: Mar 4 2017, 04:33 PM

Elite Member

Group: Admin
Member No.: 81

Awards: None

Yes, well...he'd banged his head like that, of course, because normally Hakuro was extremely helpful with things, but on this particular thing...he was not. Specificlaly, the Hatto-san had no special knowledge in medical conditions, so he was about as useful as Roshi in that regard...which is to say not at all. He continued to eat lunch while in the head-table'd condition, which was a true feat of coordination, to say the least, AND very silly...but ultimately doable. Then, his head perked up to the question.

"Apartment? I was never in one. I live at home."

See, when you live in edo, you don't have to get a dorm room to live in to attend school. You just go there from home and come back. That's it. Nothing special to it.

--------------------
PM
^
Alida
 Posted: Mar 9 2017, 03:32 AM

Platinum Poster

Group: Members
Member No.: 6

She chewed up the last of her root salad and toyed with the remains of her meat and potatoes. At this point in the game did the girl start to give up on cramming and maybe just zero in on the stuff she did know plus a lucky pencil to roll for the multiple choice questions of doom. It would have to be the best she could do with the time granted in lunch to rest up. They briefly talked about their apartment setups after introducing the question but Roshi's answer really derailed it as though Suishoku just learned he was an alien.

"You're an Edo resident?" Edo sure was trendy and all but at least she didn't peg Roshi to be from Osaka. "Didn't know that. Thought you came from further south of Japan like Okinawa or at least in the area of Kyoto." Those were the more out there and artful places she could think up thus far. She was near tempted to ask how his house took the earthquake but that was just crossing the line without Roshi doing it himself.

--------------------

Elite year, Yuubae Suishoku__Honda Mikazuki, 2nd year
PM
^
Moby Dick
 Posted: Mar 10 2017, 11:02 PM

Elite Member

Edo Bugei being so famous for its Scions coming from all over Japan, it IS rather unexpected for there to be someone who has just lived right here in town normally to be a student there, as well. Not abnormal, per se, but you don't really think of it as often, do you? Especially with the fact that Roshi was a normal student - if you can call him that - and not a Scion himself. Honestly, Suishoku's surprise surprised him, but he just powered on and nodded.

"Oh yeah. Eastern Edo, all my life. Not the best of places..."

Hmmm. The Eastern sector was where alot of the population lived. That might answer the unasked question for Suishoku already. That area wasn't hit quite as badly as others. It didn't all just cave in on itself like much of the school, anyway.

"Hatto-san comes from Okinawa, actually. I'd like to see it. He says he's getting away from it because he grew up in it. I guess it takes all kinds. I feel like I have to get out sometimes, too."

--------------------
PM
^
Alida
 Posted: Mar 11 2017, 03:45 AM

Platinum Poster

"You really don't seem like you're from Edo." She continued on her disbelief that Roshi was born and raised in Edo. Perhaps his parents were like this when they were young so that's how Roshi came about but who knows on that either. Thankfully it didn't sound like his home suffered any issues due to it being located on the East side but that's him saying that versus what the news paper said about the state of the local prison. It also didn't sound like he didn't get the worse of it. This part she felt a bit happy for the odd boy as he talking about the person who spoke with.

"Oh,"
Suishoku interjected. "Who is this Hatto-san from Okinawa? You juts got off the phone with him. Is he a relative of yours? Family friend?" With her lunch just about finished, it was interesting to hear a fairly normal sounding Roshi. Easier to process information when he isn't working up a zany scheme. He mentioned about this man wanting to leave his childhood home and sounded to be fairly older than either of them.

--------------------

PM
^
Moby Dick
 Posted: Mar 19 2017, 03:42 PM

Elite Member

That's okay. Roshi took the comment about how he didn't seem local in stride, giving off an emphatic 'I don't know what to tell you' shrug. It just sort of happened that way. His mother got him hooked on the lighter side of things and he went uber-artsy because of it, out of total defiance of humdrum businessdom. As for the Hatto-san...that was another story, entirely. Roshi shook his head at the questions put forth.

"He is my friend, but I don't think he's spoken that much with my family."

He turned to sit more comfortably as he explained the strange hatted fellow.

"He's a guy I just sort of met one day, while I was out on a walk. He'd been out in the park, trying to draw himself while posing for himself. It wasn't really that good. I asked him about it and he said 'Yeah, you're about right. Put these on.'. See, he calls himself the Hatto-san because he's this guy traveling around in a hat and trenchcoat. He put them on me and I had to stand there while he drew."

Roshi chuckled a bit, at that.

"It still wasn't that great, but I liked that he was trying, and how I got mixed up in it. We got to talking, after. He's a pretty decent guy, trying to see as much as he can before he has to take over the family business. I can kind of relate..."

Roshi didn't want to take over Odachi Foods or have anything to do with it. He wanted to make money doing what he loved. Naturally, his father and brother wouldn't have it. It was a real problem.

--------------------
PM
^
Alida
 Posted: Mar 20 2017, 12:17 AM

Platinum Poster

The last bite of her lunch disappeared as she wiped her mouth while listening to Roshi's tale of meeting this Hatto-san. She sort of remembered him mentioning the man before or refer to him to some degree so she naturally assumed the person to be his family. The truth of the matter came by much odder than expected that it was as if Hatto-san was Roshi and Roshi is version 2. It was also a bit eerie in how somewhat similar she ended up meeting Roshi. Might as well be the case for anyone that would meet those two but that wasn't the one biggest thing Suishoku took out of this than how they met.

"Eh? He's named that cause of how he dressed? I thought you meant Hato as in 'dove' or 'becoming aware'." Having never seen the man's name written down, this was her train of thought. More surprising at how simple the name was in the end.

After the brief surprise did she rub her chin in thought of another topic of concern. "You have a family business as well? I didn't realize you wanted to avoid not inheriting it." She too came from a family of merchants but with her father and grandfather having a personal preference that males should be the one to keep running the business did it fall upon her cousin as the current heir to be. "Why not just inherit it anyway but run it your own way? Technically you'd be the boss by then." She blindly suggested without really knowing what his family business was or how it ran with its other partners.

--------------------

PM
^
Moby Dick
 Posted: Mar 26 2017, 03:37 PM

Elite Member

The whole 'hat' thing confused alot of people, including Roshi.

"I don't get it either. I think he just likes the style."

...which he was fine with, really. Style is important to what you do in life, sometimes. In order to create or perform art, style is everything. It could be tthat Hakuro was the Hatto-san because he wanted that quirk of his life to be something memorable about him, so that when he had to run his business, you didn't forget about him. The Hatto-san could end up invoking great feelings of nostalgia throughout the whole of Japan. If that was his goal, then he was doing a great job of it. Still, Suishoku had laid out a suggestion after hearing about the fact that he was also part of a business. Roshi gazed flatly at her, which was something he didn't normally do.

"It's whole foods. I don't have the head for it."

Having finished his meal, Roshi got up for a stretch now.

"Besides, it's my brother who'll run it. He just wants to drag me in instead of doing what I'm good at."

Specifically, Agito knew that Roshi was a natural-born attention-grabber, even if he WAS a terrible choice for running a business. He wanted to use that, which Roshi wasn't comfortable with and therefore had nothing to give for it.

--------------------
PM
^
Alida
 Posted: Mar 28 2017, 03:24 AM

Platinum Poster

"A guy that fancies hats. What kinda hat does he wear?" Suishoku questioned in case she were to run into the man as well. Judging by how odd Roshi is, the man could be wearing an out of place top hat or something. But that wasn't really too pressing of a matter, just something interesting to learn more about if an odd stranger comes her way. Granted that if they behaved anything like Roshi then the hat question may be a foregone conclusion that the person who acts like Roshi must be Hatto-san.

Upon her suggestion of how Roshi could have run the business himself, the strange look on his face and her lips twitching with a small snicker. That bland look on him looked so out of place that it was actually pretty funny to her. "I...was that a no?" She asked before Roshi gave his answer just as flatly. "Whole foods? Huh. My dad is more into sake brewing but it's more of a local business trying to get big through connections. Or, at least for places outside of Kaga to serve our brew. I'd share a bottle with you when we're legal."

Roshi got up to stretch, her head following after him as he further explained his family situation more clearly. Must be tough being a guy. Her own position as heir was long since compromised for her cousin to take over so Suishoku's been off the hook when it comes to running the family business yet ended up derailed into a Scion. Good-bye normal life in Kaga.

"Your brother sounds pretty strict about it. You're an artist though so how's that working out?" After saying that Roshi was an artist did her mind rewind back to his domino set up and what became of the wood chip army. Her brain now clicked of what he meant about sending those chips away last time. "Say, uh, how'd that go with all those dominos?"

--------------------

PM
^
Moby Dick
 Posted: Apr 4 2017, 01:24 AM

Elite Member

Roshi shrugged at the hat question.

"It's a fedora."

So, it really fit with the investigator theme that Hakuro had been going for. It was interesting to hear about what Suishoku's family did for a living, even though he wouldn't be anymore interested in brewing than he would in whole foods. Even still, the prospect of sampling didn't sound so bad. Presumably, if they were in business, it was good brew. But of course, they wouldn't be legal for a while yet. Always a bummer. As for how it'll work out with his brother, another flat answer was incoming.

"It won't work out. I like the idea of making money doing something, but not something like that."

The question about the dominoes DID bring a smirk back to his face.

"Dad was so confused that he couldn't be understood for minutes at a time. He ended up sneaking them into box lunches until we ran out. Nobody ever figured out why. He didn't know either."

--------------------
PM
^
Alida
 Posted: Apr 10 2017, 12:53 AM

Platinum Poster

Oh. That's kinda typically fashionable of this Hatto-san. But aren't fedora's a coming trend from the Italians and from the Southern District? But it also has been a popular piece among musicians and idols. Suishoku thought of it and nodded in acceptance of things being as they were.

Well, for the most part of things, Roshi did want to make money in some way. Seems like he'll be a traveling artist or some sorta gimmick inventor to solve a singular problem. Like a machine that would audio read complex sutra scrolls or something. But that would be far off topic of Roshi's given abilities.

His smirk left her raising a brow till he proudly said whatever became of those little domino pieces. "Wait--lunch boxes? I thought they were chopstick rests!" It was a tiny little block of a domino after all. So that's what happened to the whole lot of them. She saw boxed lunches at the convenient store suddenly sporting a little block in each of them but it's been so long since that domino incident, Suishoku didn't realize the two were connected. Guess his father didn't feel a need to waste them by tossing the pieces like fire chips. "Ya know, it could have been a hit with the kids if they had a painted picture or part of one. It'd be a weird gimmick but, nah, that would have been extra on top of all the carving."

--------------------

PM
^
Moby Dick
 Posted: Apr 12 2017, 12:44 PM

Elite Member

Can't say much on the Hatto-san's style, except that he knows how to work it. It was one of those things that - even if it were odd in some way - he made it good. Still, let's leave off of him for a while, and turn our topic to...dominoes. The notion that Suishoku thought they were just chopstick rests caused Roshi to snicker a bit. Really, there'd been a few fun reactions that he had noticed, over time.

He'd asked Hakuro to help keep on eye on the little wooden pieces, just to see how people saw them. Apparently, some people thought they were Jenga pieces, while others just sort of thought they were little pieces of wood to make little carvings with. A construction worker thought you sucked on it for fiber - After all, it was in with a bento box - and a teacher thought they were little paper weights. Roshi nodded when Suishoku mentioned the work of painting 'em on top of the carving.

"Plus, I'd have to admit where they came from, and we can't have that. Hee hee hee hee..."

Remember, this was sent to his father as a prank, originally. He'd get in either big or weird trouble if his dad actually found out the whole thing was a farce.

--------------------
PM
^
Alida
 Posted: Apr 18 2017, 03:33 AM

Platinum Poster

"It was a logical thought," Suishoku folded her arms in a light pout thanks to Roshi's snickers. Many would have felt the same way but in light of it, it would be funny that people did naturally thought about it among other guesses. Lunch boxes don't usually come with a rest in the first place since it was the warmed up lunch and the disposable sticks to use. His trickster amusement left her sighing a little in the end though. What's done is done really and it would have been an issue to go start sharing that out publicly.

"True. It'd be kinda hard to really say the truth of the matter." Truth nothing! Who would believe them anyway!? The domino event was a pretty isolated issue from the beginning. Also there was thanks to how wide spread the little wooden blocks were. It must have taken a couple of weeks to spread all those meals out. "How did they show up anyway? That was a few trash bags full, wasn't it?" That was something she had wondered about but her memory of how many little wooden dominoes there were may be a little exaggerated. It's not like she took the time and effort to count how many little blocks there were in all.

"I just hope that the next project you do doesn't involve tiny little pieces."
That would be her main fear now. Now what the project will be or how crazy it'll end up, but how many little parts that would need to be cleaned up after. The next time may not have her around to generously help out so Roshi would have to consider getting his own backpack dirt buster.

--------------------

PM
^
Moby Dick
 Posted: Apr 21 2017, 07:15 PM

Elite Member

Yes, but was it a Roshi logical thought? Probably...not. The truth of the matter would also be very confusing and hard to believe, itself. People believe what they think is the most convenient. It's what allowed his father to accept the weird situation he'd been put into, rather than wondering if it was a prank. As for how the little dominoes showed up...

"They were just in the bento boxes...over the course of the next month. Every time I saw one, I just had to laugh."

He shook his head at her other comment.

"No, not that again. At least, not without all the dominoes belonging to someone and them getting it back. It's too much work. Way too much."

It really was. He needed to...hmmm...work on his walking statue project, maybe? He had an idea on how it could work, where it would be like terracotta or something, and that it could make him effectively a walking statue.

--------------------
PM
^
Alida
 Posted: Apr 22 2017, 01:53 AM

Platinum Poster

"That didn't answer how you shipped them," the girl sighed at her bokke comedy friend. It's times like this she did kinda want to have a paper fan ready to hit him with. "Phff, I'm pretty sure the customers kept looking at you weird for laughing at that in joke. I hope no one asked if you needed to go to the hospital." After he said that, now she really wanted to make one. A nice big large one with some cardboard for extra sturdy impact.

At least there was some good news to it all. No more mini pieces!! Much rejoicing to that idea for both clean up and craftsman. But if it's not going to be a little project acting big then it might just be a larger project this time around. However big it was was up to Roshi's abilities. "Do you ever write a blog about your projects? Keep a journal or whatever?" Suishoku asked this since Roshi asked in so such way that this was the first time he's done this before. Being a senior class man even granted that he must have spent his whole Bugei school year making up these crazy things. She didn't want to openly praise him about it but it did seem impressive the man kept his grades within the school this whole time. Just a little bit impressive.

"Or you just don't do that cause it'll give away the surprise."
Not that it would be a surprise to the school.

--------------------

PM
^
Moby Dick
 Posted: Apr 28 2017, 04:06 AM

Elite Member

"Eh? Oh, how did I get them to him? That was easy. I wrote a letter saying that it was from a secret admirer who was giving him these as a token of affection. Basically, I lied and then made no attempt to look interested in it."

He seriously had to hold his laughter at the confusion of his father. speaking of laughter, though...

"Umm...people already see me that way, so really nobody noticed."

You all know what Roshi Bento is like. He has a number of tales - tales of the strange, the funny, the amazing, and the heartwarming - that told of his artistic undertakings. Seeing him chuckling at something was not uncommon, so his general mirth in regard to his little domino soldiers went without real comment. They did't really take all year, but it will be said that his skills of wood-carving were truly put to the test, as he ended up automatically doing it during classes and while focused on other things. Yes, it was alot of effort to juggle these things. Somehow, he'd managed. As for a journal...

"I umm...draw up plans sometimes, at home, when I need to take notes and stuff. I don't give people warning, because I don't knowit 'till I'm doing it, and I don't tell people about it because I wanna show it first."

So, no, he don't blog his inner-madness.

--------------------
PM
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Pages: (3) 1 2 3 
Closed
New Poll

skin by bonbon.
Affiliates [ View All | Link-us ]
Summers Past Wicked Wonderland Rpg-Directory Panda Directory Below The Sun Distant Fantasies Seicho No Hana World of Remnant Fairy Tail Guild FORCED HEROES UNBOUND HEART SIGH Pandora Those Among Us Together We Fall fate/breaking chains Chaos Theory Rise of the Believers Valar Dohaeris Love Hina Generation This Too Shall Pass Terrasphere CONFESSIONS Chroniques de la Dynastie le Roi Soleil Piori Incantatem Renascence ALOHOMORA | A NON-CANON HARRY POTTER RP Prismatic Megalomania Catch-22 Break The Wheel BROKEN BONES & DIAL TONES! To Be Unmade: A marvel infinity war rp Celestial Gateway Academy Seito Institute AGE OF KINGS LOREM IPSUM SAVE ME Pokemon Horizons Imagine Fairy Tail Our Heroes and Villains EVENT HORIZON The Duality of Man LOVE TALK AEIPATHY