Sengoku Horizon

Look towards the Horizon

The Warring States Period: Fierce warlords fought for control of Japan, and many would perish. When a warrior falls, where does the passion they once held go? Possibly into something dear such as a favorite weapon or heirloom. These heirlooms have been labeled as “relics”, and those that carry them are labeled as “Scions." Recently more and more of these special relics have been activating, signaling the start of a great change as ancient power meets the modern world!

Now For The Local News, 06/01/2018 The Chinese delegation have now arrived at the city of Edo. Making friends and learning about Edo Culture is their current aim! In other news it is also time for the school dance event! Please bring your characters along!

Search the Site Announcements Guide Book Rules Quick Start Guide Character Creation Plotting Section Open Threads Missions Shop Chat Area Advertising

Pages: (5) 1 2 3 4 5  ( Go to first unread post )
Add Reply
New Poll

Mission 1: Library
Aideen
 Posted: Nov 19 2017, 11:51 AM

Elite Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 77

Awards: None

Well, it seemed like reel one and tape one matched together. At least, they played and talked at the same time. The two twos did not match up. The tape seemed to go quite a bit longer. He put in the two threes and set them to play. He didn't expect these to match either now. However, he'd found a disconnect. Perhaps it had something to do with matching the timing. He set tape one on reel one and then set the tape in a spot with enough room for a reel and set reel two in a spot slightly over.

Tape two had gone longer so he was looking for a reel that played for awhile before Kono-sensei said no. He'd match those up. Then, probably, the fourth reel that didn't have a matching tape would be the clue to find the gem somehow. Probably through magic. Nothing was ever straightforward logic but if you worked at it, maybe you could just figure it out. He shook his head. This was a very drawn out puzzle. He had wanted to solve this a lot faster.

--------------------
user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image
PMEmail
^
DynDyn
 Posted: Nov 22 2017, 11:34 AM

Member No.: 154

It wouldn't be long before Hisashi would've returned to the main room where they had first arrived. He seemed to glance around for a few moments before settling his eyes on the oni woman once more. In response to what she said, he simply did his best to give a charming smile while he handed the stone over. "Apologies. I don't mean to deny you a good meal. I'm afraid I just enjoy living far too much. Perhaps you'll get another chance eventually though." he said as he tried to raise her spirits. Even if it was all an act, Hisashi himself didn't particularly mind playing along for a bit.

As he found himself waiting around now for the others to hopefully join up with him, he seemed to contemplate for a moment. He wondered why they had spent so much effort to do this strange event. He figured most would've settled for a few cheap scares and some laughs at the student's expense. It seemed strange to him for them to put so much effort into something like this. Though he had to suppose that a school for japan's best would want the best thrills as well. "This is all pretty nice."

--------------------
PM
^
Nobuyumi
 Posted: Nov 24 2017, 08:26 PM

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

"Apologies. I don't mean to deny you a good meal. I'm afraid I just enjoy living far too much. Perhaps you'll get another chance eventually though." Hisashi told Kono-sensei. The ogress simply shook her head and smiled darkly.
"It isn't over yet." she said and walked off, vanishing. This left Hisashi all by himself in the first area. He could look at books if he wanted, or examine the bones.

Shinsuke had reached the last room in the set. Unlike the other rooms he entered this one slowly, and carefully. He was sure that behind the door would be some kind of terrifying creature. As he opened it and peered inside he would find, nothing. Just a completely normal study room with nothing in it. It appeared no gem was in this part of the library. Then Shinsuke would feel it, a small tap on his shoulder. As he turned around Oni-Kono-Sensei would be right behind him.
"NOTHING HERE!" she screamed loudly right in his face, terrifying oni make up on her face. She then vanished.

Finally, Kire decided to try combining the tapes and reels in various way. However he did it, though, would all come up the same way. It was always just Kono-sensei in same way or another saying no. No matter what it was clear that nothing hinted at the gem, and no gem existed in this area. It appeared as though it was simply as Kire feared. A puzzle meant to bide time as suddenly the tape player began to play a low growl and then an extremely loud, literally room shaking, stomach growl.

Suzu
Aideen
DynDyn

--------------------
Azai Nobuyori
The stuck up clan lord who defends the people.

Tagami Yumiko
The adorable poet girl who hates war.

Katayama, Masato
A strategist bent on changing the world.
PMEmail
^
Aideen
 Posted: Nov 24 2017, 10:19 PM

Elite Member

What an absolute pain in the butt. It was a waste of time after all, why would they put a puzzle in the room if it wasn't going to go anywhere? He sighed and got up. Maybe he was missing something but what it was, he could not guess. There were no red or blue gems as far as he could see so it was time to move on. He made his way out into the main area and saw that somebody had found the red gem already. That was annoying, he knew he'd been in there for awhile but he was still miffed that he'd missed his chance to show off for Kono-sensei.

Also there was Hisashi. "Hey man, I got a puzzle that basically wasted all my time. How are we doing? Where haven't we searched?" Hopefully there was still somewhere. It would be pretty darn awkward if he'd missed the gem in the media room but there was nothing he could do but search this one like Hisashi seemed to be doing. Kire decided he'd check the bones, after all, they were pretty close to Kono-sensei. So that was a pretty big plus.

--------------------
PMEmail
^
Suzu
 Posted: Nov 25 2017, 11:01 PM

Elite Member

Member No.: 10

Anything would have been more expected than what Shinuske ended up with in the room. Which turned out to be absolutely nothing out of the ordinary. Nothing resembling even the slightest decoration or preparation in the room. No gem, a waste of time for whomever had been sent to the study rooms from the trio. A red herring if there ever were one. Probably just something they hadn't had time to decorate or maybe not the resources to do something with. A sigh of relief escaped him the very moment he felt a tapping on his shoulder.

Thinking it'd just be one of the other guys he turned around to ask if they'd found something. Nope. Instead it was Kono-oni-sensei in all her terrifying glory with a scream right in his face. To say that he was surprised by the the turn of events would've been an understatement. His face was white from the suddenness of the appearance of the ogress, and he jumped back a few centimeters in response. Maybe there was something to how spooky this whole place was! Wait, where'd she go? Just as suddenly as she'd appeared to terrify him she was gone. Left in an empty room alone with the possibility of being consumed by an actual oni.. he panicked a bit.

There was nothing here in the study rooms anyway. Therefore he had no qualms about fleeing as fast as his feet could carry him. It was such a hurry that his hair fell out of its simple tie-back and fell loose, revealing its much more girlish cut. No time to worry when there was a monster prepared to eat you if you didn't solve puzzles. That sounded really ridiculous but Shinsuke didn't have his logic working at full capacity. Once he was back in the central area he looked around and took a deep breath.

"Okay.. what can I check for a gem? I guess the others might have found something," he thought aloud, but he wasn't sure where to look for them. For now he figured maybe.. maybe if he searched the shelves near the central area, he might find something.

--------------------
PM
^
DynDyn
 Posted: Dec 11 2017, 03:24 AM

Giving a light shrug in response to the woman, Hisashi would let out a light sigh as he moved a hand to the back of his head. As far as he could be concerned, he had mainly done his part and figured he could entrust the rest to his compatriots. Rolling his shoulders for a moment, he seemed to glance from one side to the other before going to lean slightly back against one of the library walls as he let his eye shut closed. No point worrying about when the others would come back when he could've taken another good hour trying to fumble with his puzzle. "And so we wait. . ." he said as he crossed his arms and proceeded to relax.

Soon enough, he heard someone heading his way and slowly opened his eye to glance at the comer. He gave a slight smile in greeting before going to raise his brow in slight surprise. "A puzzle without a reward? I hadn't even considered that they would've done that. I figured each would gift a gem like my own had." he said as he proceeded to push off the wall slightly, stretching slightly as he let a faint grunt escape his lips. "Well, I dunno then to be honest. We could probably check the other areas. But our captor seems intent on us getting those jewels one way or another." he said with a shrug, pondering for a moment before going to start peering through the shelves beside him with the idea of maybe finding a note hidden between or something.

--------------------
PM
^
Nobuyumi
 Posted: Dec 13 2017, 10:10 PM

Administrator

The Central room and reference rooms still hadn't been searched as two of the student met up at the entrance. Oni-Kono-Sensei seemed to be next to the pile of bones Kire was examining with cold eyes, her stomach letting out a growl that shook the entire floor. Kire would be able to tell that the bones had been made of beautiful white clay. To get the look, and size of actual bones down to this level they could have only been made by someone as skilled as Kono-sensei in clay work. Meanwhile Hisashi searched the dusty, web covered shelves. It appeared that the various books around him seemed to be history books. One of them was about the founding of the country of France in Europe. Another was about the Canadian independence movement from France.

Meanwhile in the central area Shinsuke had started examining various books in the area. As Shinsuke looked at the books something immediately seemed odd to him. The central area only had three books. The entire central area contained only three books. A green, a red, and a blue book. None of the three books seemed marked, as as Shinsuke examined them he would notice books seemed oddly transparent, as though barely there. In the middle of the central area was also an old projector shooting light at an apparently blank wall.

Suzu
Aideen
DynDyn

--------------------
Azai Nobuyori

Tagami Yumiko

Katayama, Masato
PMEmail
^
Suzu
 Posted: Dec 16 2017, 08:41 AM

Elite Member

The central area's defining characteristic seemed to be its relative lack of anything interesting or out of place. Other than the fact that a central part of a room in a library had no books, that is. Shinsuke stepped closer to the 'books' but found them to be barely there at all. That in itself was an odd turn of events but not terribly spooky.. for which he was rather glad. A bunch of scary things happening all at once wasn't bound to help him keep a level head about finding a hidden gem. After staring at the ethereal tomes for a moment he decided first to check those books for anything. Maybe they held a key to something about the missing gems that the ogress version of Kono-sensei was after.

He reached out and tried to grab them, hoping that maybe something would happen. After all they were after red and blue gems (he wasn't aware that one had been found yet), and here were a red and a blue book. Seemed possible they might be related to the hidden treasures in some way. Providing that this didn't work, he figured the projector was probably going to have something to do with an answer too. Such old technology wasn't likely to just be sitting around a library for no reason after all.

"Almost wish Inori was here.. she'd breeze through this like it was nothing," he thought aloud while testing the books, "But then she'd probably totally miss the gems in the process."

--------------------
PM
^
Aideen
 Posted: Dec 17 2017, 11:22 AM

Elite Member

Kire picked up the bones and really examined them, pushing his glasses up onto his forehead. He wasn't seeing much in the way of a gem mixed in the pile and something like that really should stand out. They were pretty amazing, definitely some great work from Kono-sensei, obviously. He wasn't seeing any special written characters or hints on the bones either so this was probably another dead end. Not quite as pointless as the last challenge though. He set the bones down, took off his glasses entirely and rubbed his eyes.

He stood up and started walking toward the last place to search. "I'm going to check out the reference room, I guess." he called to the other two. Best let them know where he was so they could tell him if the second gem was found. He shuffled off at speed, not because he was scared but because he did, honestly, want to find at least one of the gems.

--------------------
PMEmail
^
DynDyn
 Posted: Dec 18 2017, 05:46 PM

Without much else for himself to do as he seemed confident that the other two amongst the three could handle acquiring the other gem. It wouldn't suit for him to solve all the tricks and steal the spotlight from them while he was just some punk. For a little longer, he would go ahead and simply continue searching through the bookcases before him for anything of some kind of interest. Briefly, he took a minute to open one and start flipping through it's contents before going to quickly replace it after learning a quick fact about the french. He moved his hands up as he turned on his heel before he began to approach Shinsuke with a light yawn escaping his lips. "I feel like perhaps we are approaching this wrong. If the gem was so close nearby, I doubt the miss would have us look for it, no? Of course feel free to point out if you think I'm wrong." he would give a light shrug following his words.

Glancing down the path Kire had taken, Hisashi seemed to pause before deciding to disregard what he thought before. As nice as this whole event was, they had become quite stagnant since they arrived upstairs. Perhaps he would assist in getting things moving along. Making his way over, he went to go inspect the reference room as well, although he'd probably arrive a good half a minute later simply from having taken his time before and along the way.

--------------------
PM
^
Nobuyumi
 Posted: Dec 18 2017, 11:41 PM

Administrator

The central area had a project and three transparent books. As Shinsuke grabbed all three he would try placing each in front of the projector. The first was the thin red book.

"A Woman and the Bell of Miidera

In the ancient monastery of Miidera there was a great bronze bell. It rang out every morning and evening, a clear, rich note, and its surface shone like sparkling dew. The priests would not allow any woman to strike it, because they thought that such an action would pollute and dull the metal, as well as bring calamity upon them."
it said at the top of the projector area on the wall.

He then tried the blue book.
"When a certain pretty woman who lived in Kyoto heard this, she grew extremely inquisitive, and at last, unable to restrain her curiosity, she said: "I will go and see this wonderful bell of Miidera. I will make it send forth a soft note, and in its shining surface, bigger and brighter than a thousand mirrors, I will paint and powder my face and dress my hair.""

Then finally the green book.
"At length this vain and irreverent woman reached the belfry in which the great bell was suspended, at a time when all were absorbed in their sacred duties. She looked into the gleaming bell and saw her pretty eyes, flushed cheeks, and laughing dimples. Presently she stretched forth her little fingers, lightly touched the shining metal, and prayed that she might have as great and splendid a mirror for her own. When the bell felt this woman's fingers, the bronze that she touched shrank, leaving a little hollow, and losing at the same time all its exquisite polish."

~End~

It seemed that trying the books separately just ended up retelling an old story known as "A Woman and the Bell of Miidera".

Meanwhile Kire arrived in the reference room. It was a small room with various cabinets. Each cabinet was marked with various drawers labeled letters A-Z. The entire room seemed old and dusty, and instead of using website based archives it was clear that Edo bugei still kept paper references for each book's title, author, and subject on physical card. As Kire looked at the various cabinets around the room Hisashi would arrive shortly after to the same sight.

Each letter marked drawer appeared to be a wooden pull out cabinet drawer. Likely with folders inside instead of the usual small reference cards most libraries contained. This reference room may have been more than just a reference room, but instead kept additional information on the books beyond just call number and author names.

Suzu
Aideen
DynDyn

--------------------
Azai Nobuyori

Tagami Yumiko

Katayama, Masato
PMEmail
^
Aideen
 Posted: Dec 19 2017, 04:21 PM

Elite Member

"Well," Kire muttered to himself as he looked at the large amount of drawers and files, "this is crap." He ran a hand through his hair and stepped forward. The most obvious answer was to check the drawers with the most likely labels. Oni, Blue, Gem, Puzzle, there were so many options. He turned when he heard the footsteps approaching. "Oh, good. Some help." He didn't sound thrilled at the prospect but this so called puzzle seemed more like another waste of time like the previous room.

"If the gem is in one of these cabinets, it's not blatantly obvious unless I'm missing some clue. I'm guessing this is probably a time sink like the last room I was in." He walked to the first cabinet and pulled open a drawer to look inside. "So maybe, we double team this and meet in the middle to save time." He wasn't going to wait, either way somebody was going to have to dig through the paperwork. What a tedious mess.

--------------------
PMEmail
^
DynDyn
 Posted: Dec 23 2017, 11:55 AM

Glancing through the cabinets with a mix of surprise and loathing, Hisashi couldn't help but feel this puzzle would be similar to the last he had to do. It was going to be a pain in the ass if his feeling was right. Yet even so, he gave a polite nod to his peer before going to move to the other side of the room. "This is going to be a hassle. Hopefully one of us will get lucky and finish it quickly." he would say simply with a sigh as he went to grab the drawer at the end, pulling it out and beginning to dig through it as well.

"I suppose you can say that dealing with files is someone's nightmare though." he would add after a few moments as he lifts up a folder, curiously peering through it before going to replace it as he ducks down to grab another shelve, pulling it out and glancing through it. As he looked through the cabinets, Hisashi would make a note to glance over his shoulder every so often just incase something felt like it would be wise to sneak up on him.

--------------------
PM
^
Suzu
 Posted: Dec 24 2017, 06:50 AM

Elite Member

Each of the different books' contents (per the projector) were read with care by Shinsuke, who was trying to identify any clues or connection to the present situation. All he had on the surface was a story about a bell whose keepers didn't want a woman to touch, yet a woman had gone and touched anyway. As a result it shrunk and went a little hollow where she'd touched the surface. Given that there had been red herrings in the study rooms he wasn't sure these had any connection to the missing gem. Yet if they didn't it seemed an awful lot of work to have gone through just for a false clue. Likely this was important to figuring out their problem.

While he mulled over possible interpretations in his mind he decided the projector itself was worth a look. Something that could read phantom books might have something to it. Some kind of secret within, even. So carefully he went over to the projector and reached out his hand to touch its side. If there were some kind of compartment or other spot that opened up, maybe there would be another clue there.

"I feel like a detective in a really creepy novel," he thought aloud as he went about his work.

--------------------
PM
^
Nobuyumi
 Posted: Dec 26 2017, 10:14 PM

Administrator

Kire and Hisashi stepped up to the drawers and started searching through them. Obviously Kire started with key words such as blue and oni. Unfortunately none of these would reveal anything besides long file folders on various book that began with the letters B, O, G, and P. Inside he would find various classic books such as "blue bamboo" and "Okonomiyaki and me". Sadly none of these would reveal the blue gem he was looking for. Sadly they puzzles would not be without their traps. As Kire opened a few B drawers clouds of blue smoke would spit out, covering him in blue paint. When he opened G puffs of green smoke would coat Hisashi in the color.

This was while Hisashi started with the Z folders. He opened a folder labeled "zaku" and a loud, piercing sound of metal on metal vibrations rang through the large room, hurting both boy's ears. As he opened the Y drawer and a folder titled "yuki-onna" a cold chill ran through the entire room and then quickly dissipated. So far they had now gone though B, G, O, P, X, Y, and Z.

Meanwhile in another area Shinsuke ran his fingers along the side of the projector. As he found a switch the projector opened. Though whatever Shinsuke was hoping to find would be useless to him. Inside the projector was simply a normal projector with various color filters placed on the inside of the lense. It seemed the entire area was nothing more than a simple re-telling of a Japanese folk story.

Suzu
Aideen
DynDyn

--------------------
Azai Nobuyori

Tagami Yumiko

Katayama, Masato
PMEmail
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Pages: (5) 1 2 3 4 5 
Add Reply
New Poll

skin by bonbon.
Affiliates [ View All | Link-us ]
Summers Past Wicked Wonderland Rpg-Directory Panda Directory Below The Sun Distant Fantasies Seicho No Hana World of Remnant Fairy Tail Guild FORCED HEROES UNBOUND HEART SIGH Pandora Those Among Us Together We Fall fate/breaking chains Chaos Theory Rise of the Believers Valar Dohaeris Love Hina Generation This Too Shall Pass Terrasphere CONFESSIONS Chroniques de la Dynastie le Roi Soleil Piori Incantatem Renascence ALOHOMORA | A NON-CANON HARRY POTTER RP Prismatic Megalomania Catch-22 Break The Wheel BROKEN BONES & DIAL TONES! To Be Unmade: A marvel infinity war rp Celestial Gateway Academy Seito Institute AGE OF KINGS LOREM IPSUM SAVE ME Pokemon Horizons Imagine Fairy Tail Our Heroes and Villains EVENT HORIZON The Duality of Man LOVE TALK AEIPATHY