Sengoku Horizon

Look towards the Horizon

The Warring States Period: Fierce warlords fought for control of Japan, and many would perish. When a warrior falls, where does the passion they once held go? Possibly into something dear such as a favorite weapon or heirloom. These heirlooms have been labeled as “relics”, and those that carry them are labeled as “Scions." Recently more and more of these special relics have been activating, signaling the start of a great change as ancient power meets the modern world!

Now For The Local News, 06/01/2018 The Chinese delegation have now arrived at the city of Edo. Making friends and learning about Edo Culture is their current aim! In other news it is also time for the school dance event! Please bring your characters along!

Search the Site Announcements Guide Book Rules Quick Start Guide Character Creation Plotting Section Open Threads Missions Shop Chat Area Advertising

Add Reply
New Poll

Quick Restructuring, OPEN
Akutagawa
 Posted: Feb 21 2017, 08:43 AM

Group: Members
Member No.: 71

Awards: None

The streets were lined with all kinds of shops; their wares presented with pride. Filled with the usual hustle and bustle of people buying and selling stuff, even the air had a special taste to it, a mix of products from all across the country. And to one particular girl those never before seen sights were a miracle itself.

Ever since she was born, Naomi has never seen a street market. Her family was hardly one to conduct grocery shopping: their retainers took care of such matters themselves. The life of luxury was a blissful one, but so was the ignorance.

“Naomi-sama,” said an aged old man, arching his back in a deep bow. He was wearing simple linen clothes, his head bald and his skin slightly tanned from all the days he spent in the sun. “It’s such a happy occasion for you to visit this old fool’s shop!”

His name was Saizo. For generations, this old man’s family worked for the Niwa, selling their wares and managing the shop located in the Edo. They were proud of this honour and carried themselves with pride. As for the Niwa themselves. To them, this establishment was profitable, but nothing more than that.

“It is as I see,” muttered Naomi under her breath as she passed through the place as if she owned it. In her case, though, she did own it. To be more precise, her family owned it. “In recent times, sales from this shop became less than a year before, didn’t they? My father and brothers may be more interested in tactics and strategies, but I have both time and desire to skim through the reports. Believe me, they don’t look so well.”

Not even looking at the distressed shop-keeper, she continued marching through the shop. Looking at the displayed products - fine tea lives, exotic spices and other things gained from other countries – she couldn’t quite contain her gasp. As Saizo fell on his knees, she plainly said.

“Please, don’t act so dramatic. While the situation might seem poor, I’m sure we can find a way to make some profits. What I have in mind, for now, is some quick restructuring.”

To anyone passing outside, loud outcry could be heard easily. A man’s voice filled with anguish and tears.

“I beg you, Naomi-sama! My family owned this place for centuries! Do not take it away from me! It’s all I have left! I beg you!” Inside the shop, an old man on his knees was crying his eyes out, clutching a young girl’s kimono, her gaze desolate of any mercy.

--------------------
Character:
Naomi Niwa - "In this world, everything has a definitive value. Other than human life, of course."
PM
^
Moby Dick
 Posted: Feb 22 2017, 03:57 PM

Elite Member

Group: Admin
Member No.: 81

Now, in another part of an area, the following had occurred just a bit ahead of where we are at the present moment. It goes a little something like this...

There is a young man. He's a student, but he's not in any uniform. He's wearing an ordinary blue shirt and black pants. He is black-haired and brown-eyed, and he is on the run. Eyes dart left and right as he steps here and there, between these people and behind another, making his way around a corner and hiding himself from observation in this alley. He breathes a sigh of relief.

"Nice to see you here, Roshi."

"Aaagh!"

There is another young man, which the boy named Roshi has initially recoiled from in surprise...but then recognizes. He is leaning against the alley wall, actively being cool while wearing black clothing under his traditional trenchcoat of the Japanese investigator and fedora. He is also black-haired, but with gray eyes. Roshi knows him very well, a traveler known to Japan at large as Hatto Ken Ko-to, or the Hatto-san. The guy is only a couple years older than Roshi, yet because of his unusual ways, Roshi practically looks up to him.

Right now, however, he's a bit cross from the shock.

"Hatto-san, don't scare me like that! Why do you always creep around, anyway?"

"I didn't creep. You found me. Speaking of which, what's wrong? You seem a little more wild and frantic than usual."

"I've been told to go shopping with my brother. It's the pits. He's so boring! And worse, the last time I went anywhere with him, I got captured by the Fish Mafia!"

"The what? Okay, this I need to hear."

"I'll tell you everything later if you loan me your hat and coat NOW."

The Hatto-san didn't decide things on the basis of personal whim unless he was absolutely sure. For all other issues, to save time, he just flipped a coin. To loan Roshi his beloved hat and coat, or not? That was the question. Well...it came up heads. He shrugged, then, and handed them over.

"Alright, but understand... You have to be the Hatto-san now. The will of the hat commands it."

"Is...it some kinda' leech that gives you orders or something?"

"The world may never know. Good luck, Roshi."

"Hey, umm...any chance you could be the...Bento-san for a while?"

"Not on your life."

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I showed you that, so I could show you this: There is a young man, now effectively in disguise, walking down the street to see if he could find anything of interest, rather than shopping for just ordinary household mishmash like his father and brother wanted. When...outside a traditional curiosity shop, he heard the sound of begging. What's this? Someone is threatening a shop that's been passed down for generations?! It's practically a landmark, then! Entering quickly, Roshi saw the culprit, but...huh. She was like...Yumiko-sized. He pulled out a tape measure and checked from behind, since her back was to the door.

"Actually, even shorter. I'm impressed."

Goddammit, Roshi... Did you just say that out loud?

--------------------
PM
^
Akutagawa
 Posted: Feb 23 2017, 06:56 AM

What a pathetic scene, Naomi sighed internally. Not only did this poor excuse of a merchant lack any conscience, he had no dignity to leave peacefully. And to think he dared to ruin her newest kimono with those ape-like arms of his. “Do not be so dramatic. We both know what you did exactly.”

Then, some fool voiced his… rather obvious observation. “I beg your pardon,” said the girl and turned around to face the newcomer. It probably one of the so-called protectors of the people, a sad bunch of self-righteous scum that soiled the proud title of the samurai.

“Hmm,” she muttered as her gaze lingered over the man’s body. For some unknown, his manner of dress was pretty interesting: it’s not that usual to see somebody wearing a trench coat and a fedora at the broad daylight. Still, he looked like a simpleton.

“And who you happen to be? I’m sorry for sounding rude, but those are matters of my clan. A rather private matters, I should point,” folding her arms, she tried to look intimidating. As intimidating as a girl of her stature could.

However, the old shopkeeper decided to use this chance. “Inspector!” he said and looked him straight in the eyes. “Please, hear my plea! This girl wants to fire me! After all those years I served her clan! You must help me!”

--------------------
Character:
Naomi Niwa - "In this world, everything has a definitive value. Other than human life, of course."
PM
^
Moby Dick
 Posted: Feb 23 2017, 12:07 PM

Elite Member

It was incredible, such a compact human being...yet she was obviously a teenager, possibly a student from the school. Roshi was sort of lost in thought about that at the moment, as Naomi attempted to grab his attention. Right now, he was just sort of comparing this girl with the slightly-taller form of his friend, Yumiko. Actually, there was a stark contrast. Yumiko was bright-eyed and pleasant, while this girl seemed deadpan and lacking energy.

Perhaps she's not getting enough nutrition? Exercise? It couldn't be from overworking herself. She doesn't look the type.

All of this was going through his head, his hand to his chin as he went "Hmmm...". He seemed to miss the part where Naomi was trying to browbeat him entirely, and instead his eyes darted to the merchant, who immediately called attention because of his words.

This isn't good. This man's about to be turned out onto the street, and this girl appears to be the boss. And...wait. What'd he call me?

He called him...inspector. Boy, it's at times like this, you gotta ask yourself that one important question: WWHD? What would the Hatto-san do? Well, because he was that man right now, he had to put his acting abilities to the test. This old man was counting on him, and this old place was too. Alright... Roshi held up his hand, as though they were sort of rushing him and needed to slow down a second.

"Hold on. I need to know what's going on before I do anything. What exactly brought all this on?"

Naomi, who was not a patron of the arts or, in fact, not a member of the Drama Club - or ANY club Roshi was in - would neither find him familiar or be able to tell that he was putting on an act. He was acting like a real investigator, with a professional-sounding voice and all. Let's see how this plays out.

--------------------
PM
^
Akutagawa
 Posted: Feb 26 2017, 11:02 AM

“A bunch of nonsense, if you ask me,” said the girl and frowned slightly. It was her shop for all intents and purposes, but not only did the old man squirm like a worm, but he even decided to involve an outsider into what clearly was the family business only.

Naomi pulled up a folder from her bag, the whole thing nearly bursting from the amount of paper jammed into a single space, and gave the so-called inspector a few of them. “Look at those, will you?” she said sarcastically.

And then decided not to overestimate his mental capabilities and added. “Those are this shop’s monthly profit and loss reports. He has to send them to the main clan as a part of our agreement.” There, on the sheets themselves, nearly all operations involving the curiosity shop were written neatly, not a letter out of place.

“That’s what I don’t understand, Naomi-sama,” said the shopkeeper. “Those reports are true! Check them yourself, inspector! This shop gets nothing but profit every month! How come she wants to fire me over this?!”

“Oh, won’t you stop playing dumb?” said the girl, clearly irritated by the whole ordeal. “The fact that your profits are always the same is the problem here. There are literally no deviations whatsoever! You can’t sell the same amount of merchandise every time. Besides, no matter how much products we ship you, the end result doesn’t change one bit. Explain yourself!”

And then, it was the old man’s turn to look pale and search for words. “I… I have my reasons,” he said solemnly and looked at his feet as if the weight of his shame was pulling his gaze down.

--------------------
Character:
PM
^
Moby Dick
 Posted: Mar 1 2017, 01:30 AM

Elite Member

She may have been sarcastic in the manner in which she invited him to look over the papers, but Roshi basically missed it and actively looked at the things. Roshi...didn't like heavy math, or business matters, or accounting. The only reason he had the ability to painstakingly comprehend these was through forced knowledge and cram sessions. Fortunately, the papers also hid his sour expression from the short bossy girl.

He almost didn't even hear the argument around him until the last part, where Naomi's accusation went up and the shopkeeper reacted...oddly. Something...very personal was attached to this, like the way the shop itself was very personal, very traditional. He could tell by the look on he man's face that even speaking it would cause him pain. Roshi, looking very solemn for the moment, approached the man and stood before him, unintentionally blocking Naomi's view.

"Oji-san... She is accusing you of fraud and embezzlement. If you have any reasons for why it's not true, speak it now. Think of your shop, this fine traditional place of commerce. If you are true in your heart, I will do what I can."

What Would Hatto-san Do? That's what Hatto-san do!

--------------------
PM
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Add Reply
New Poll

skin by bonbon.
Affiliates [ View All | Link-us ]
Summers Past Wicked Wonderland Rpg-Directory Panda Directory Below The Sun Distant Fantasies Seicho No Hana World of Remnant Fairy Tail Guild FORCED HEROES UNBOUND HEART SIGH Pandora Those Among Us Together We Fall fate/breaking chains Chaos Theory Rise of the Believers Valar Dohaeris Love Hina Generation This Too Shall Pass Terrasphere CONFESSIONS Chroniques de la Dynastie le Roi Soleil Piori Incantatem Renascence ALOHOMORA | A NON-CANON HARRY POTTER RP Prismatic Megalomania Catch-22 Break The Wheel BROKEN BONES & DIAL TONES! To Be Unmade: A marvel infinity war rp Celestial Gateway Academy Seito Institute AGE OF KINGS LOREM IPSUM SAVE ME Pokemon Horizons Imagine Fairy Tail Our Heroes and Villains EVENT HORIZON The Duality of Man LOVE TALK AEIPATHY