Sengoku Horizon

Look towards the Horizon

The Warring States Period: Fierce warlords fought for control of Japan, and many would perish. When a warrior falls, where does the passion they once held go? Possibly into something dear such as a favorite weapon or heirloom. These heirlooms have been labeled as “relics”, and those that carry them are labeled as “Scions." Recently more and more of these special relics have been activating, signaling the start of a great change as ancient power meets the modern world!

Now For The Local News, 11/01/2017 The dust has cleared after a fierce clash against the rebel Ikko Ikki monks. Now, as a tense period of calm spread over the island nation of Japan the students of Edo Bugei must figure out how to proceed in life after experience such intense conflicts and such deep loss.

Search the Site Announcements Guide Book Rules Quick Start Guide Character Creation Plotting Section Open Threads Missions Shop Chat Area Advertising

Pages: (4) 1 2 3 ... Last » ( Go to first unread post )
Add Reply
New Poll

Rank 2 Mission: Broken Heart
Nobuyumi
 Posted: Dec 12 2016, 08:56 PM

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

Awards: None

Mass
Shoy

Taito Ward as a surprisingly quiet place. Not many students came here often unless they had to pray for exams. The district north of the shopping area in Northern Edo. It was a sacred place in it's own right full of temples and cemeteries. Almost fittingly the weather was very cloudy today. If this was to match the missing student's mindset recently, or the multiple cemeteries and temples in the area, who knows.

Unfortunately no one would be waiting for the students that accepted the mission. The school didn't want to talk about missing students since it stained the school's rep. Instead a simple description would have been given.
"A tall boy with green eyes, short brown hair, most likely wearing an Edo Bugei school outfit. He has a fondness for horses and bad allergies towards cats. He also walks with a slight limp." and whoever chose the mission was suppose to ask around to find him.

The boy had gone missing after his heart had been broken. He had asked a wood crafter student multiple times to be his girlfriend but she rejected him every time, and in the end chose to date a performance student with a focus on tea ceremony instead. He couldn't bring himself to ask ever again, or stay at the academy, and so he's ran off. He is from a low level clan but is still a fairly talented cavalry student and the academy wanted him back. Now it was up to whatever student chose the mission to find the boy, talk to him, and bring him back to the academy safe and sound.

The two who accepted the mission had been given a meeting place, it was a small temple in Nothern Edo. They would need to figure out who to look for the boy and where to start.

--------------------
Azai Nobuyori
The stuck up clan lord who defends the people.

Tagami Yumiko
The adorable poet girl who hates war.
PMEmail
^
Moby Dick
 Posted: Feb 22 2017, 02:09 AM

Story Teller

Group: Members
Member No.: 81

[OOC: My apologies for totally not noticing that this was here. I didn't forget that I'd ever signed up. I just didn't know that the thread had been made and stuff. 'Tis most embarassing and I hope to give it the life it deserves now.]

Now, it could not be said that he was necessarily the best person for this. He might be okay, but he was not what you call an expert at the personal feelings of people. However, with this being less a mission about anything that involved fighting or hard labor...and it being more about the soul and the feelings of a young man...it could be said that he'd be better at this than those first two other things.

On this day, it looked like it was going to rain, so naturally he had come prepared. Roshi Bento had come equipped with an umbrella, a green raincoat, and a fishing hat in anticipation of less-than-hospitable weather. He'd considered getting a hat and trenchcoat that was like his friend - Hakuro 'The Hatto-san' Kuroda - but he didn't wanna steal his style. This here was all just in case of the weather.

Roshi had also brought lunch, a Roshi Bento bento, if you will. He might need it. What he could not find, but was hoping to for this mission, was...a cat. The boy that they would be looking for was allergic, and a cat would be a quick identifier. If he'd only been able to find a kitten, he could've brought it along and anyone who was NOT their guy would be all over it, while he'd avoid contact and out himself as the one they were looking for.

Oh well. Where was the guy he was suppose to meet here?

--------------------
PM
^
Shoy
 Posted: Feb 26 2017, 08:28 AM

Bugei Adventurer

Member No.: 114

((OOC: Just to make sure you don't get confused in case you didn't see, Nobu was asking for someone to replace the other now inactive person who signed up for this mission which is why I'm here ^^))

Mirai had dressed for the weather; she’d worn woollen leggings under her skirt and had a thin, see-through waterproof coat tucked into the pocket of her uniform for in case the cloud-laden sky should fulfill its promise of rain.

The mission had seemed like it would be something fairly simple, or at least something that didn’t come with a lot of risk like a mission that involved fighting would. She hadn’t wanted to try something dangerous as a first mission so something like tracking down a broken-hearted student was ideal, even if Mirai wasn’t too well-versed in matters of the heart.

As she approached the temple that had been designated as the meeting place, Mirai spotted a boy dressed up like he was ready to go outside in a storm. With his green raincoat and hat, Mirai thought he looked kind of ridiculous, so she only gave him a cursory glance to begin with. However as she looked around more it became clear that there wasn’t really anyone else around nearby who had stopped at the little temple who looked to be about the right age for an Edo Bugei student.

“Um, excuse me,” Mirai said, approaching the boy with her hands clasped behind her back. “I’m supposed to meet up here with someone from Edo Bugei…” Not finishing describing what she needed to meet someone there for was intentional; Mirai wouldn’t want to list off the aim of the mission because there was still a chance this boy in the rain gear was just a random stranger and not the one she was supposed to meet up with, and she wouldn't want to trouble a stranger with a more detailed description.

--------------------
PM
^
Moby Dick
 Posted: Mar 1 2017, 01:18 AM

Story Teller

[OOC: I did see, actually. Thank you for joining.]

It further seemed strange that the person here would be sort of swaying a bit while standing and waiting, but then he was apparently listening to some music on his phone. As a result, he actually didn't hear most of what Mirai had to say, just then. He did, however, notice that she was saying something to you, and so - upon removing his earphones one-handed - his reaction was thus...

"What? Oh, hey! You made it! Now, we can get down to business finding this guy. This uhh..."

He paused, looking at a piece of paper he'd written the details on for a second.

"...horse-wrangler."

That didn't seem right. Roshi looked back at Mirai, now.

"Do you have maybe some better information on him? The stuff they gave me was kinda' sparse on the details."

Yeah, that was a problem. The school could've privately given them a name to work with, but nooo. Their reputation was at stake! Oog...

--------------------
PM
^
Shoy
 Posted: Mar 2 2017, 07:16 AM

Bugei Adventurer

Mirai couldn’t help but give a bemused little smile as the boy took out his headphones and answered her. So he must be her partner for this mission, then, seeing as he was acting like he knew that they were supposed to be finding someone. Finding this “horse-wrangler” seemed an interesting way to phrase it, though based off what she’d been told about the boy they were looking for she could hardly argue that it wasn’t accurate.

Shrugging a little, Mirai said, “I think I only had the basic details too…” Mirai pulled a folded sheet of paper from her pocket; it contained notes in her scrawled handwriting about the description they’d been given. She frowned a little as she read it. “It says he was tall. Brown hair, green eyes. He had a limp too.” Mirai re-folded the paper and pocketed it again. “That’s everything that I know. They didn’t give me anything more than that.”

Mirai sighed and tapped her chin. “What do you think we need to do to find him? I wish we had more information…” She looked at Roshi. “Will we just have to ask people to see if anyone’s seen him? Did you have any better ideas?” Mirai certainly didn’t have any. Without knowing much more about him than a physical description she couldn’t see there was any better way of finding him.

--------------------
PM
^
Nobuyumi
 Posted: Mar 6 2017, 10:42 PM

Administrator

(OOC: Sorry for the late response. Got a bit busy with the event posting!)

After finally meeting up the two students discussed how to proceed forward with the mission. Looking around, it did appear that rather than be closer to central Tokyo, the two had stumbled into the northern part of Taito ward. So instead of the Southern part of the ward, full of huge buildings and crowds, they stood in a very quiet, thinner population area full of nothing but shrines and such.

A lot of the talk in the Taito Ward was pretty simple and common. After all the northern part of the ward itself felt almost ghostly. They would hear many families grieving for their loved ones, and many people chanting Buddhist sutras. They would even hear foreign language and prayers from languages and religions they wouldn't readily recognize since the ward itself also had a foreign cemetery. The area was certainly full of stray monks that they could ask. It also had a booth with an old man selling maps and giving directions to people not quite use to the ward's layout. Now it was just a matter of who they would talk to, or if they would continue looking around themselves. From where they two stood they would also be able to see three large Buddhist temples. One to the west, one to the north, and one to the southeast.

Mass
Shoy

--------------------
Azai Nobuyori

Tagami Yumiko
PMEmail
^
Moby Dick
 Posted: Mar 10 2017, 06:57 PM

Story Teller

Yeah, it looked like she had just about the same information he did, which is to say...not that much. Roshi had thought 'horse-wrangler' because the boy in question liked horses. This, of course, had no bearing on the other detail, the one that had caught his eye even more...

"Well, I wanted to bring along a cat to test for allergies...but I couldn't find one."

Yeah, Roshi had been entertaining the idea of walking around town with a little cat in his pocket, but they didn't even have any pets at home. So basically, they had a big search to do around here, even though Taito Ward was not exactly a population explosion of people. For the moment, Roshi's ears were drawn to the sounds around them, now that he was no longer listening to music. It drew his eyes, as well, which was problem since he was kind of listening in a different direction and getting cognative dissonance. Snapping back into reality, he returned to facing Mirai's direction.

"We may have to, but...we don't have to do it the hard way. If we think like a depressed horse-guy who can't walk very fast, we can figure out where he might go and work on that. Which means..."

He now made a beeline towards the old man in the booth.

"Oji-san, two maps and any information you have concerning the Light of Zartha tell me if you've seen any Bugei students around, please."

--------------------
PM
^
Shoy
 Posted: Mar 12 2017, 06:13 AM

Bugei Adventurer

A cat? Yes, OK, the boy they were searching for had an allergy, but trying to bring cat along? That just seemed impractical. Mirai's confusion showed on her face as furrowed brows, though one corner of her lips twisted up and she almost giggled. As impractical as it was, it was certainly a funny idea, and quite inventive. “That's certainly, um, a cool idea, to bring a cat. I wouldn't have thought of doing that.”

Roshi looked around, and Mirai did too: she could see a few monks around, going about their own business; a man at some kind of booth; the distant sound of people talking and chanting. Overall though, it seemed fairly peaceful on this overcast day. She was wondering if they should start just by asking a monk or two when Roshi started talking again so she glanced back at him.

Mirai nodded enthusiastically at his words. His next idea not only seemed more reasonable than the cat; it was actually a very good idea. “That’s a great idea! Thinking like him is a great place to--” Mirai stopped as Roshi suddenly rushed over to the man in the booth. She followed him and stood beside him as he made the request for maps and information. Hurriedly, Mirai added a bow once Roshi had finished talking. “Please, if you don't mind.”

--------------------
PM
^
Nobuyumi
 Posted: Mar 17 2017, 10:19 PM

Administrator

(OOC: ALRIGHT! Lets get back to this thread!)

user posted image

Enter Watanabe Soutaro. Old, quiet, and decidedly semi-retired. A kind of stern man who sold maps if people asked for them. He clearly wasn't a monk, and really didn't care much for people's dead relatives, but the quiet area was rarely visited, and when it was no one really stopped to chat. They just took a map from him to go find a dead relative or make sure they weren't so late to a funeral. Today, Soutaro's peaceful life would be interrupted in 3...2....1

"Oji-san, two maps tell me if you've seen any Bugei students around, please." Soutaro just looked at the hyper boy like he was the scum of the earth, until someone else added in
“Please, if you don't mind.” which brought an eye roll of a response as Soutaro handed both of them maps.
"I see two students in front of my stand. Any other ones, eh. They come and go I guess." he said with a bit of a shrug.
"A lot of students came here to pray for that boy that passed last fall. Kajiwara. A lot more often drop by to pray for the earthquake victims from last summer. Shame the schools around here lost so many young people." he said as she shook his head a bit. As he did the sky above the map shack started to turn darker and cloudier.

"Eh, damn. looks like rain soon. Do you kids need umbrellas?" he asked in such a way that implied he didn't actually want to give them umbrellas. However he also wasn't going to just let two kids lost in Northern Edo get soaked to the bone. Even stubbornness had its limits.

As the two examined the map they would find this area broken up into five parts.
West: Holy men, servants of the Shogun, dignitaries, honorees.
North-West: Katsu-maru shrine.
North: Holy Eye Shrine.
North-East: Rolling Cloud Shrine.
East: Esteemed civilians.

Mass
Shoy

--------------------
Azai Nobuyori

Tagami Yumiko
PMEmail
^
Moby Dick
 Posted: Mar 19 2017, 02:44 PM

Story Teller

Really, the way Roshi moved around, if this had been a dry day, he would've had a personal dust cloud from all that rapid motion swooshing in with him as he came into Soutaro's world. There might've been a gust of wind from his sudden appearance, regardless. It was that kind of day...and that kind of guy. We apologize to anyone who has ever been asked for anything anywhere by people like Roshi Bento.

Fortunately, Soutaro was not in a bad mood or anything. He wasn't able to give them any real information, sadly, as he began to talk of the unfortunate passing of a student...and then the earthquake victims...and then how sad it was to lose as many students from the schools. Roshi felt a little involuntary shudder from that. Some of his friends from the Bugei art club... Maybe it was this shudder that made Soutaro remember the chill in the air and the possibility of rain, because he asked if they needed umbrellas. Roshi held his up.

"I'm good. Uhh, she might."

Mirai looked okay for light rain, but Roshi was the only one of the two prepared for a serious downpour, if it occurreed. They didn't know how bad it could get, but once it came down around here, it could swamp you if you weren't careful. Now! Roshi inspected his newly-procured map, still wishing he had a cat, especially since Mirai thought it was a good idea. Looking things over, Roshi felt that there was a certain range here that a student might go here. It might be wrong, but it very possibly right. He turned to Mirai.

"I think we should start in a north-y kind of direction. West and East look like places for the really important. He's a Bugei student, but if he were like one of the noble families, he'd have more than just us looking for him."

There was a curious kind of logic to this. If he were the sort of guy that was likely to be in either of those two directions, then he'd have house bodyguards or servants looking for him too. Plus, because those were places of the esteemed and high-ranking, he'd be more easily noticed by the kind of people who watch over those people, and then a quick call gets his location known. Roshi felt he was blending in with everybody who's everybody, and that the northern sector had the most chances of being where he was. He just didn't know specifically where to start.

--------------------
PM
^
Shoy
 Posted: Mar 26 2017, 10:02 PM

Bugei Adventurer

Roshi’s rapid and numerous movements kept drawing Mirai’s attention away from the old man; she just instinctually did it as a response to seeing his movement. He seemed to move around more than someone normally would, and it was beginning to occur to Mirai just how much of oddball this guy she’d been slated with for the mission was, though of course she wouldn’t have said anything like that aloud. She was afraid that could make him upset or uncomfortable or something.

So, it seemed that the old man didn’t really have any information for them in particular. All he had to say was morose things about the people who’d come to visit after the earthquake and the death of one of the elite students, which, understandably, made her feel a tad morose herself. It was disappointing that he didn’t know anything that would help them, but it would have been a massive stroke of luck if they’d happened to find someone with information on the first time they asked.

At the offer of an umbrella, Mirai shook her head, remembering the thin raincoat stuffed in her pocket. “I don’t think I do, but thank you for the offer. And thank you for answering our question.” She bowed to the old man again and opened up the map she’d been given.

She recognised some of the areas on the map from when she’d come to Taito Ward looking for a shrine a while ago, and she was just beginning to look at the areas she didn’t know more thoroughly to see if she could get an inkling for what they were when Roshi spoke up with an idea about where to start.

"I think we should start in a north-y kind of direction. West and East look like places for the really important. He's a Bugei student, but if he were like one of the noble families, he'd have more than just us looking for him," Roshi said, and Mirai nodded. It was as good a place to start as any.

“That sounds like a good idea. In that case…” Mirai ran her finger along the map, starting from the west area, and paused with it hovering over the Katsu-maru shrine. “Maybe we should just start from one side and then sweep across it to the other? Like if we start from the north-west, and then across to the north, and then north-east? That way we could remember easily which parts of the city we’ve already checked.”

Unless Roshi protested at her decision, Mirai would make a start heading for the north-west, careful to keep an eye on the map and muttering to herself about directions.

--------------------
PM
^
Nobuyumi
 Posted: Mar 31 2017, 10:05 PM

Administrator

As the two got ready to head out the rain started picking up even more. Old man Soutaro couldn't help but hear the kid's conversation as he watched the sky turn darker.
"HEY!" he yelled out as the two turned to leave.
"A little word of advice. I don't know if it will help or not. Katsu-maru is really small. It is listed as a major shrine, but that is more for the gods it was built to pray to and not for the actual shrine itself. Holly eye is pretty big, with a big cemetery, wide field, and a large central temple. Heaven's eye is mostly just one large, circular, spiraling building. Slowly walking in circles towards the center is suppose to give you inner peace but a lot of people just get dizzy to be honest with you." he said, hoping to explain a bit as a large clap of thunder punctuated the end of his sentence.
"I wouldn't suggest heading off to Katsu-maru in this kind of weather unless you kids can move quick." and with that enough loud burst of thunder caused the entire area to shake a bit. The elevation was fairly high in this particular area and the ground not completely stable due to it being Edo.

Mass
Shoy

--------------------
Azai Nobuyori

Tagami Yumiko
PMEmail
^
Moby Dick
 Posted: Apr 4 2017, 12:46 AM

Story Teller

His north-y plan seemed to meet with Mirai's approval, and she suggested that they move in a sort of fan from west to east once they were significantly north enough. Roshi was about to jokingly suggest that - no, no! - they do it the other way around, but uhh...this wasn't really the time for that. Maybe later.

"Sounds as good a plan as anything, so far."

...which is when Soutaro-san decided to weigh in. He had a better idea of what the shrines were like. The fact that Katsu-maru was small seemed to Roshi like it was a good starting place because they could be there and be done checking it in the space of a couple minutes. The old man with the maps recommended not, because of the incoming rain, but he also said that was if they were not quick enough.

"I'm fast. I'm so fast that I'm...admittedly not part of the track team, but I'm very fast, pretty fast, fast...enough?"

Pause...

"I'm off!"

Roshi Bento was off like a shot, heading for Katsu-maru Shrine in a hurry! The truth was that if theiy guy WAS there and the rain was making thinks a hazard, then uhh...he would need help if he was caught up there...right?

--------------------
PM
^
Shoy
 Posted: Apr 8 2017, 08:05 AM

Bugei Adventurer

They were just getting ready to head off when the old man spoke up with a bit of additional advice, running through a little bit more detail about what each of the places on the map actually were. She felt a little downcast to hear from the old man that her idea perhaps wasn’t such a great one after all even if Roshi agreed with her. She was about to turn to Roshi and ask if he had any better ideas about where they should go when he started rambling about how fast he was. Mirai frowned at him, and her jaw fell open when he speed off. “What--” She hadn’t been expecting him to just run off like that.

Mirai gave the old man a bemused and vaguely alarmed look before dashing after Roshi, trying to wrestle her plastic raincoat out of her pocket and put it on as she ran. The rain pit-pattered on the hood; the sound was strangely comforting, even if it was a symptom of the fact she was running full-pelt down a path that was growing increasingly slippery from the rain, after a boy who honestly seemed to be a little bit out of it. She lost track of where they were even headed as they ran and relied on Roshi for going the right way.

Her struggle with the raincoat had slowed her down, and Roshi had had a head start anyway, so she was still lagging behind him. Mirai almost called out to ask him to slow down a little, but she wasn’t sure he would have heard her with the distance between them and the noise of the rain and occasional bursts of thunder. She would have to wait until they'd arrived at their destination before she could talk to him again.

--------------------
PM
^
Nobuyumi
 Posted: Apr 11 2017, 08:02 PM

Administrator

The students nearly slipped as they ran through the rain. The stone walkways of Taito Ward quickly becoming wet as the rain fell upon them. The heavens above boomed with thunder as the old man just shook his head a bit watching the two run off towards the small Katsu-maru shrine. Others standing still under safe umbrellas watched the two crazy kids dash through the rain as puddles parted at the kid's rapid movements and tried to infiltrate the shoes that dove into them.

Small signs read "Katsu-maru this way" and had tiny arrows pointing towards the north-west of the area. As they ran around towards the spot on the map a small monk watched them run by and blinked a bit, confused as to why they seemed to be in such a rush. Did the gods of Katsu-maru means so much to them? Raising both hands and looking at Mirai the monk turned in the rain and said a long prayer to Buddha.

When the two finally arrived they would in fact find two people at the shrine, but it was likely neither of the two happened to be who the students had come to find. What they found was a husband and his quite pregnant wife clasping hands and praying in the rain. Between the small prayer and the thunder it would be hard for the two to make out exactly what was said but apparently the two had come to pray for the health and safety of the child they would soon bring into the world. As the two turned to leave they looked at Roshi and Mirai. They both seemed a bit shocked as they looked back and forward between the two students. Looking a bit upset the pregnant couple finally looked at the students.
"Good luck with your pregnancy. Even though you are young." the wife said as she held her stomach. Her husband nodded boldly at Roshi and quickly raised an umbrella above his wife was as the two walked off. The couple kept looking back at Roshi and Mirai and whispering about just how young was too young for today's youth. When the two inspected the small shrine more they wouldn't see anyone else around besides themselves.

Mass
Shoy

--------------------
Azai Nobuyori

Tagami Yumiko
PMEmail
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Pages: (4) 1 2 3 ... Last »
Add Reply
New Poll

skin by bonbon.
Affiliates [ View All | Link-us ]
Summers Past Wicked Wonderland Rpg-Directory Panda Directory Below The Sun Distant Fantasies Mercenary Stranger Than Fiction Seicho No Hana World of Remnant Out of Control GOSSAMER Sonata of Awakening No Heroes Prisoners of Fate Avalon Providence All of Me Fairy Tail Guild Monstrum Digitalis .hack//infinity PANDORA'S ASCENSION FORCED HEROES UNBOUND Black Static HEART SIGH Pandora Sedition Persona: Shallow Colour A lurking shadow Bleach Platinum Hearts PAINTING UNDER THE FLAMES Tales of Hyrule RWBY-AU Those Among Us Continent of Altrus Starfall Together We Fall New Game+ fate/breaking chains misfts! Broken War Online Chaos Theory Rise of the Believers Valar Dohaeris Together We Fall Hero Quirks Tōitsu-koku Musou: Age of Edo Love Hina Generation This Too Shall Pass Star Signs Reach For The Stars After a Dream Songless Birds Terrasphere Stay Chroniques de la Dynastie le Roi Soleil Piori Incantatem