Sengoku Horizon

Look towards the Horizon

The Warring States Period: Fierce warlords fought for control of Japan, and many would perish. When a warrior falls, where does the passion they once held go? Possibly into something dear such as a favorite weapon or heirloom. These heirlooms have been labeled as “relics”, and those that carry them are labeled as “Scions." Recently more and more of these special relics have been activating, signaling the start of a great change as ancient power meets the modern world!

Now For The Local News, 06/01/2018 The Chinese delegation have now arrived at the city of Edo. Making friends and learning about Edo Culture is their current aim! In other news it is also time for the school dance event! Please bring your characters along!

Search the Site Announcements Guide Book Rules Quick Start Guide Character Creation Plotting Section Open Threads Missions Shop Chat Area Advertising

Pages: (3) 1 2 3  ( Go to first unread post )
Add Reply
New Poll

Club Mission: Exploring Atsumori
Kitsu
 Posted: Jan 2 2018, 09:54 AM

Story Teller

Group: Members
Member No.: 28

Awards: None

Kitsu was lost in thought about the crabs with the faces. Ancient warriors embodying sea creatures, eh? What an interesting tourist destination. He would make a note to keep it in mind for place to go on a date if he was ever in the right area. His thoughts were interrupted by the others talking about weather or not to return a body to a family. "Oh boy, here comes my unpopular opinion," he thought to himself.

Kitsu sighed when it came to being his turn to speak. "Speaking from experience, if the person was worth the fight, I think it's the right of the victor to take parts of the body..." He had his arms folded and a look on his face that dared anyone in the room to make a big deal of his comment. He was a head taker, and already had two, so he wasn't one to say that a body should be returned to the family. "As far as those who don't put up much of a fight, I have just left the bodies where they fall, if someone wants to come by and clean them up or return them home, that's up to them, I don't care." It wasn't a secret that Kitsu took part in the East Edo Ikko assault, much like a few others in the room probably did, and assuming that this was the case, Kitsu spoke bluntly and in a matter of fact way, not pulling any punches from his opinion.

--------------------
user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image
PMEmail
^
Nobuyumi
 Posted: Jan 5 2018, 10:52 PM

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

The teacher listened carefully to the various responses by the club members. In his head he was quietly reminding himself he wasn't a therapist and didn't need to attempt to be. However, he was sure a lot of the students still had pent up thoughts over what had happened at the start of the year and he wanted to give them a chance to consider what happened. It was clear a lot of the students didn't have sympathy for the enemy. Though to them they viewed "enemy" as people like the Ikko.
"Ms. Yuubae, Mr. Bento, I fully understand your point. Sometimes the body is impossible to get. Why risk your own life that you just fought hard to preserve? Now in regards to your answer Mr. Momochi that is a good point. All of this, my question and Atsumori, are all based on personal view. How you yourself view a particular enemy. Atsumori himself was viewed as a shame of a person to have died. However, surely some among both sides didn't find him as great as others." he gave a small nod as the other students looked at the three. Many of the club members had decided not to answer the question but did all seem to judge the answers given by the others.
"Atsumori is a play about many powerful themes." The professor said as he looked at the students.

"I want you all to consider something, however. I know for a lot of you when you think of my questions you think of the Ikko. However, in Atsumori the Taira and Minamoto are not rebels. They are not as clearly defined as evil as we may say the Ikko are. In this case both clans are great, and in fact quite similar. That is the true tragedy that comes from the tale of red versus white. The two clans are so similar, even down to how their soldiers view war and one another. Yet the simple fact was that they are different clans, with different ideals of how to lead the country. Ideals that could not be settled by simple agreements and treaties but instead by all out war." he said the last bit with an extremely sad tone to his voice. He was aware he was in a school mostly for samurai who viewed war not as a sad thing but as a pure battle. However, humanity always had a place. He looked at the students carefully, trying to better understand their suffering since he would surely need to speak with the Headmaster later. He had fought both with and against some of the students during the attack on the school and right now wanted a recovery for every student in the room.

"With this in mind. Let us enter the second part of our play. The second act begins as the first one ended, with Renshō reciting prayers for Atsumori, who now makes his appearance.The actor who played the youth in the first act has now changed costume and plays Atsumori." the man explained as he summoned up Roshi to the front of the room.
"This is a very common device in the most standard Noh plays, and it is implied that the youth earlier was Atsumori's ghost in disguise. Atsumori relates his tragic story from his perspective, re-enacting it in dance form." and with that looked at Roshi to start dancing. He then looked at the two club students.
"During this time background singers also did some light chanting, in tragic tones." he explained as he moved his hands a bit and some of the students started chanting as though in a choir after checking the handed out source material.

He then pointed at Kitsu to come up in front of the class. Mostly due to how tough Kitsu looked and thus could probably act like Rensho during the war in this scene. Waiting for Roshi's dance to come to the part of his death the teacher looked at Kitsu then the class.
"Now here is the shocking part of this play. The play actually ends with Renshō refusing to re-enact his role in Atsumori's death." and he looked at Kitsu to somehow blatantly reject Roshi's waiting for someone to pretend to shoot him.

Kitsu
Alida
Jack

--------------------
Azai Nobuyori
The stuck up clan lord who defends the people.

Tagami Yumiko
The adorable poet girl who hates war.

Katayama, Masato
A strategist bent on changing the world.
PMEmail
^
Alida
 Posted: Jan 8 2018, 06:47 PM

Platinum Poster

Member No.: 6

Having some down time, and the benefit of not looking like a grizzled veteran to fit for the next play part, Suishoku cracked open the playbook and started reading it over after having their answers reviewed by the doctor to somehow try to make it with together with the Atsumori play. Mostly she glossed over the first act to try catching up to what that tough looking student was playing.

Death, monk roaming the country side, meets the grass cutters and would be ghost...

She skimmed over the summary and pretext while gathering what was the current skit. This teacher likely should have just been hired for the drama play as he once again made her want to groan and sigh back to her dorm on what the doctor was getting at but it was then considered as pointless as his opinions and making general opinions. His lesson plans may have been his real weakness under those good looks but hopefully the lesson will wrap up soon.

How I view an enemy, is what he's trying to say. The enemy is just as unseen as the ninja that watch us and the uncontrollable as what our fates will be once Bugei or the Clan lords reclaim their prospected representatives.

The Ikko were like this and the civilians and students who turned on each other but it wasn't as if the students had other enemies.

She sighed into her book and looked toward the other club members that assembled. Roshi was also called up to perform a dance which, him dancing anyway, would be a bit interesting. Atsumori, as popular as it is, was a Noh play and Noh plays are expensive to the common folk even with the right connections or owning a business, Noh is never cheap. Would Roshi's dance be something like Atsumori would do? Hmm...if there is break dancing involved then maybe not. While Roshi did a dance, the tough looking guy was asked to decline shooting Roshi again. This line made her re-read that part of the play again if this was the part where the monk felt to call Atsumori friend after experiencing more of his life or for how similar they were during the war for the cause than Atsumori's youthful appearance that he should have just stayed home.

--------------------

Elite year, Yuubae Suishoku__Honda Mikazuki, 2nd year
PM
^
Moby Dick
 Posted: Jan 9 2018, 03:49 PM

Elite Member

Member No.: 81

The lesson continued on and...yes, it DID seem like they were still thinking of the Ikko Monks. Why not? It was worse than a rebellion. It was a nightmare that divided people, even people that they'd known for months or years. It was a terrible thing... Even so, their instructor was right about the tragedy of it all. It was the sort of world that Roshi would hate to see happening before his eyes. The battle they fought was more justified because the monks were crazed - and even then, it weighed on him sometimes - but in a situation where both sides were rational, thinking people? Roshi wouldn't stand for it.

Just then, Roshi was summoned up once more. He was apparently a common Noh device now, but he had to agree that it was probably a common feat to use the same actor for roles which have a direct association. He performed, here and there. He knew. It was also a fact that, sometimes, you just have limited actors and have to make due. Naganori-sensei was now asking him to perform the dance of death, a loose interpretation off Atsumori's tragic day...which he did.

It wasn't breakdancing. Roshi took performance arts fairly seriously, and this was performance to a point, rather than parody. So, his dance was fluid and only exaggerating in the actions of the youth in sort of an artistic flair. A bit of dramatic poise and grace. Roshi's physical training from the Bugei gave him the depth and control to move well, and he was quite limber, as well. And then, as expected, he stood in anticipation of the arrow...and it was Kitsu's job to deny him. So, he waited...

--------------------
PM
^
Kitsu
 Posted: Jan 15 2018, 10:47 AM

Story Teller

Kitsu was lost in thought about this play, though the main character wasn't exactly the type he would be interested in following though. He missed the fact that he was called to play the part of the main character who was supposed to reject his role in the play. After his name being said several times by the instructor, Kitsu perked up and listened. The instructor once again stated that he was to play Rensho at the end of the play.

Kitsu stood up and plainly stated, "Sorry, I refuse to play this character due to personal ideology and on the grounds that I refuse to be shot. Even in a play." It was exactly what was asked of him even though he didn't hear the part about blatantly refusing the role. At least only he would know about it, even after being confused at the instructor telling him he did a good job at saying no to doing the part.

--------------------
PMEmail
^
Nobuyumi
 Posted: Jan 21 2018, 10:55 PM

Administrator

The instructor laughed a bit as Roshi prepared to get shot and Kitsu refused to be. He then started clapping and looking at Kitsu and Roshi, motioning for them to both sit down and encouraging a slightly confused classroom to clap for them.
"Mr. Kitsu, I think you had been a bit confused, but none the less did your part perfectly as our non-villain. You see, at the end of Atsumori the samurai turned monk refuses to fire even a fake arrow at Atsumori's ghost. The ghost declares that Renshō is not his enemy, and asks that the monk pray for his release. Tied to the mortal realm by the emotional power of his death, Atsumori's ghost has been unable to move on. As our former samurai protag does so, the ghost of Atsumori, still fixated upon his death so many years ago, finally moves on. Thus ends the play Atsumori." the instructor told the students, smiling at Kitsu instead of reprimanding him.

"Atsumori is a deep play, about battle, about view points, and most importantly of all, about resolution. Mr. Bento, Mr. Kitsu, since you two spent more time than anyone else up in front of the class do you have any questions?" he then looked at the rest of the students.
"What of you all? I hope I have made it clear enough why we need to study this play and relate it to our current times. The beauty of the Atsumori play is that it never truly stops being relevant as long as war exists." that was the grand lesson the teacher hoped to get across. He hoped the students would understand the "why" of this lecture.

Kitsu
Alida
Jack

--------------------
Azai Nobuyori

Tagami Yumiko

Katayama, Masato
PMEmail
^
Alida
 Posted: Jan 22 2018, 12:45 AM

Platinum Poster

Suishoku didn’t think of the play like that as she watched the boy’s re-enactment. The ghost, realizing and not, wanted peace and to move on but was unable to. May have been fate that the monk happened to come this way and finally meet the youth to send his soul across the river. She sighed and looked at her book more than the actors as the teacher seemed grand and set about the reliving of the play continued in meaning in this present day. Japan isn’t all peaceful but it did have its moments of comfort. Half heartedly she clapped.

Frankly, she wanted to leave but can’t without disrupting the room. So she sat there with a tense look around her than easier when not knowing anything of the play. If the floor was open for questions, that damned teacher will have one.

“Wouldn’t the view points of the enemy change very little when its those higher up that control the larger actions? I’m not sure if you’re asking us to respect their choices when current events have painted them as monster extremists and damaged trust.”

--------------------

PM
^
Moby Dick
 Posted: Jan 24 2018, 03:23 PM

Elite Member

To be fair, Kitsu had technically made the right move, but the deadpan from Roshi clearly indicated that he had gotten right for the wrong reason, and Roshi knew it. Nevertheless, the scene was over and the teacher pointed out just what was going on here, faux pas and all. Still, there did beg the question... No, seriously, there was a question on Roshi's mind, and since the man DID ask...

"Yes, actually. One question. Did you know about my involvement in the war before asking me up, or was that just a coincidence?"

Because - as stated - there was nobody more fish-out-of-water in that situation besides him. He'd been thrown into the scene with only his basic Bugei training at his back. True, he had Kai's and Kurome's confidence on the matter, and even Nobu's help right off, but it'd been a terrifying event! We can't under-emphasize the freaky nature of fighting that big-hat general!

--------------------
PM
^
Kitsu
 Posted: Jan 25 2018, 08:37 AM

Story Teller

Kitsu simply shook his head when the instructor sought out questions from the students. Everything seemed pretty clear considering that it was a strange story about ghosts and strange combat. He was actually growing a bit restless, considering that he was more a man of action than classes. His mind wandered to some gang activity he was scheduling for later today, and quickly checked his phone to see if he had any updates from it.

After shutting it, he returned his attention to the class, now more eager for it to end, though he kept this information to himself.

--------------------
PMEmail
^
Nobuyumi
 Posted: Jan 30 2018, 10:41 PM

Administrator

NPC POST

(Second to last round of posting)

As the teacher asked for questions he got some rather pointed ones, much to the gasps of some of the students from both clubs that had gathered.
“Wouldn’t the view points of the enemy change very little when its those higher up that control the larger actions? I’m not sure if you’re asking us to respect their choices when current events have painted them as monster extremists and damaged trust.” Suishoku asked bluntly. At the same time Roshi chimed in with
"Yes, actually. One question. Did you know about my involvement in the war before asking me up, or was that just a coincidence?" The teacher looked at the two with a serious expression on his face, first addressing Suishoku's question as the alloted time for the class seemed to be drawing towards a close.

"Ah, but that is one of the compelling points of Atsumori. Obviously the higher ups on both sides, the leaders of the Genji and Taira clans, didn't care about Atsumori. Atsumori's tragedy was one felt by those on that particular battlefield, and by the man who slew atsumori himself. How you all respond to orders from the Shogunate or the Headmaster, or even the faculty, is up to you all. Obviously as a faculty member I hope you will trust and listen to us, but obviously it is impossible to promise such a thing. No, Atsumori is about how war personally effects people, and the choices we make as individuals. I hope that helps to explain." he then turned to Roshi.

"As for you Mr. Bento, yes. I knew of what happened to most of the students during the conflict, however that isn't why I called you up. I called you up for your dramatic reputation at school and clear love of the creative and performing arts." he then looked at Roshi with a slightly concerned face, then at the rest of the class.

"The battle had effects on you all. Obviously, I can't change that. Now that it has happened, no one can. However, I hope we can all begin to return to normal life. Not by never speaking of the battle that took place in Edo, but instead through gradual acceptance. You, none of you, are known purely by what you did or what happened to you during the battle. You are known for yourselves. For the you that you choose to be every single day, not one day." the teacher said bluntly.

Kitsu
Alida
Jack

--------------------
Azai Nobuyori

Tagami Yumiko

Katayama, Masato
PMEmail
^
Moby Dick
 Posted: Feb 2 2018, 01:11 PM

Elite Member

So, it wasn't about him in particular, when the teacher called him up. It was more about his talent, than anyhing about the fact that he had essentially been the Atsumori of the battlefield, spared of some terrible death. Even without the reaction he'd seen from Suishoku, there in the classroom, he very much didn't want to die in such a way. However, this play and...certain situations involving a young princess...left him in a bit of a conundrum.

He was caught between a poet and a hard place.

To explain, if he was as Atsumori and therefore ill-suited for combat overall, then continued exposure would kill him. He couldn't rely on finding the help of Nobu or Kai in a battle. In a one-on-one battle with a Scion or even just a strong opponent, he could very well die. That was definitely the last thing he wanted. If nothing else, he didn't want to cause the people he knew any grief. At the most, he wanted to share his life with a special someone, and that required surviving.

Which, of course, led to the hard place: The fact that he or people he knew could be the target of - among other things - the Koga Ninjas. Roshi's ninja paranoia was not simply paranoia, per se. Not since the meeting on the floor in front of the Shogunate. It represented a part of his life that had become complicated. Because of it, he would actually have to become a tougher individuals, even though he was only an artist. Well, not a mere artist. A great artist, to be sure. However, art and performance don't make you a master swordsman.

If he was lucky, though, it could make him unexpectedly dangerous, and then very good at surviving battles.

--------------------
PM
^
Alida
 Posted: Feb 2 2018, 03:12 PM

Platinum Poster

Suishoku closed the playbook and thought about the words that came from the teacher. This time it didn't come off as senseless preaching for a change and forcing heavily on his personal ideals. This man just wanted them to cope with what happened that day more than anything. How they are as people in the aftermath and what to do from here on. It wasn't like missions were the subject was more secretive than anything as this effected everybody.

Having that in mind though, Suishoku nodded in acceptance. This reality would throw a shock into those who never came into battle or had a mission that ended in hardships. She looked at the book and thought about the words a senior during her freshman days. "Deal with it and make yourself useful," Suishoku uttered to herself the same words they left her with. At that time was this saying spoken harshly and bitter. The sort of words you'd spit at a beginner holding you back or the real cause of a mission gone wrong. In those harsh words were what Suishoku took to heart to improve herself and not be the hapless civilian.

This is their reality and a reality they have to walk through each day. Dying from faults and ill preparedness for what may happened later on won't get anything done. There are debts to be repaid and people to keep living for after all. That is how she'll continue to make those words her creed in where to go from here.

"That does help explain the play better. Thank you, sensei,"
she spoke with sincerity.

--------------------

PM
^
Kitsu
 Posted: Feb 3 2018, 10:35 AM

Story Teller

Kitsu couldn't help but scoff lightly at the words last said by the instructor. He preferred to be known for what he did on missions and in the battle that recently took place. He was becoming a clan leader, and intended to be known as someone who is powerful enough not to screw with, just like his ancestor that he tracked down, the feared Sandayu, one of the leaders of the Iga clan back in the day. This brought him to thoughts of an activity going on currently with his gang. He suddenly received several text messages in a row, marked by a surprisingly cute little 'konichiwa' text tone.

He looked down at his phone and flipped it open, his face becoming a bit anxiety ridden. He tapped out a quick message and flipped it closed before turning his attention back to the class at hand. He nervously started to jiggle his leg in anxious frustration. It was obviously news about something big, but he tried to contain himself until the end of the class, this kind of stuff was important after all.

--------------------
PMEmail
^
Nobuyumi
 Posted: Feb 9 2018, 11:36 PM

Administrator

(OOC: LAST ROUND OF POSTING)

"That does help explain the play better. Thank you, sensei," Suishoku's kind words would be echoed by other students as the teacher nodded. He knew it was hard to cope with, and many students wouldn't get over what had happened any time soon. However, if somehow he could use his skills in literature and conversation to help them, then this entire exercise would have proven to be worth it. The students in the class, while a largely mixed group, seemed to now better understand both the play and this teacher's motivation behind it.

"I'm afraid that is all I have for you students, well, and these free book copies of course. Though I hope each of you will talk after i leave and reflect on the play." his words held a large amount of sincerity. He really was a kind man at heart.

Walking over to actually sit with the students he looked around.
"Do any of you have any final question before I leave you all to chat amongst yourselves?" he asked politely

Kitsu
Alida
Jack

--------------------
Azai Nobuyori

Tagami Yumiko

Katayama, Masato
PMEmail
^
Moby Dick
 Posted: Feb 11 2018, 08:48 PM

Elite Member

Getting over it is a hard thing to do. That's both true in life and in that shitty video game. Roshi was going through a phase of development, but he'll get through it. This was just...highly-introspective for him. Granted, it's suppose to evoke certain life-analyzing feelings about yourself and the characters at play. This was just more-so than was expected. Still, at the teacher's question, Roshi shook his head.

"No, Sensei, you've given us alot to think about today."

He did appreciate the copy of the story at hand. Lately, people have been giving him alot of literature. It's certainly going to fill his bookcase, that's for sure.

--------------------
PM
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Pages: (3) 1 2 3 
Add Reply
New Poll

skin by bonbon.
Affiliates [ View All | Link-us ]
Summers Past Wicked Wonderland Rpg-Directory Panda Directory Below The Sun Distant Fantasies Seicho No Hana World of Remnant Fairy Tail Guild FORCED HEROES UNBOUND HEART SIGH Pandora Those Among Us Together We Fall fate/breaking chains Chaos Theory Rise of the Believers Valar Dohaeris Love Hina Generation This Too Shall Pass Terrasphere CONFESSIONS Chroniques de la Dynastie le Roi Soleil Piori Incantatem Renascence ALOHOMORA | A NON-CANON HARRY POTTER RP Prismatic Megalomania Catch-22 Break The Wheel BROKEN BONES & DIAL TONES! To Be Unmade: A marvel infinity war rp Celestial Gateway Academy Seito Institute AGE OF KINGS LOREM IPSUM SAVE ME Pokemon Horizons Imagine Fairy Tail Our Heroes and Villains EVENT HORIZON The Duality of Man LOVE TALK AEIPATHY