Sengoku Horizon

Look towards the Horizon

The Warring States Period: Fierce warlords fought for control of Japan, and many would perish. When a warrior falls, where does the passion they once held go? Possibly into something dear such as a favorite weapon or heirloom. These heirlooms have been labeled as “relics”, and those that carry them are labeled as “Scions." Recently more and more of these special relics have been activating, signaling the start of a great change as ancient power meets the modern world!

Now For The Local News, 7/10/2017 A blood red summer has come. As the Edo Bugei students finish facing off with the ikko forces all across the nation a massive steel ship floats towards Edo Harbor. The final battle between the Ikko Ikki rebels and the Edo Bugei students is about to begin. The lingering question now, just how much of Edo will be left standing once the battle ends?

Search the Site Announcements Guide Book Rules Quick Start Guide Character Creation Plotting Section Open Threads Missions Shop Chat Area Advertising

Add Reply
New Poll

Bookworm Infestation, Open~
Chou
 Posted: Jul 10 2017, 08:17 AM

Group: Members
Member No.: 140

Awards: None

Such a hectic day..

It was a day spent getting adjusted to the dorm she was to live in now, a process which took much longer as she'd lose focus frequently due to the diversity of people on campus. Curious eyes would find themselves on clusters of strangers, wondering why and how they came to be so. Her ears would catch snippets of passerby's conversations. Mostly, they were silly things. Things like favorite dishes, complaints about one's partner or parents. The latter seeming like a trivial thing that Kokuro was just now starting to attempt to understand. Each person had their own conflicts in their personal lives. It was incredibly interesting, but also a tad overwhelming.

After mostly getting settled into her dormitory and an over examination of the campus map, Kokuro ultimately found herself in the library. Libraries were one of her favorite places to be as they were a powerhouse of information of all kinds. Never had she seen one quite as vast and holding of intricate information as this one, however. Caught up in the majesty of it all, the girl was sat on the floor in one of the many aisles, back pressed against the cool stone wall for support. On the floor before her lay the campus map, folded neatly. A worn, light blue rucksack lay leaned against her tiny form, unzipped. A faded pink cloth was spread on the ground with at least five of the library's books stacked ontop of it. Glancing at the titles, three were related to past events in Japanese politics, one was something along the lines of knife fighting for amateurs, and lastly a copy of a child's tale, Hanasakajiji, sat atop the pile. In her lap was another book, Musui's Story.

However, what had captured her interest most was the book she held open gently, eyes reading almost feverishly across the page. The Sea and Poison by Shūsaku Endō. "Oh wow," her soft voice spoke barely above a whisper as she moved to holding the book with one hand. Slender fingers of her free hand ran through her messy, faded locks. This was a book she had been wanting to read for quite a while, but never took the time to find as it was more of a want rather than a need when it came to her academics. Kokuro pushed the pair of lens-less glasses up the bridge of her nose as she focused more intently on the words singing from the page.

Her mind was absent when it came to the people on the outside. Some occasionally came into the aisle she was sitting in to stare a moment before awkwardly grabbing the text they were looking for. Others seemed to pass without noticing her. She was quiet as a mouse and her overall naturally worn appearance ultimately dulled against the beauty of the library. It wasn't as if she were purposefully being a wallflower, but the temptations of a good book were simply too much to handle and she just had to make camp in this section at once to read just a little bit of the book she'd longed to read for so long. Little to her knowledge, over half an hour had passed since her original sit down.

Once again, she'd unknowingly found herself captive by a good book.
PM
^
Kitsu
 Posted: Jul 12 2017, 09:18 PM

Story Teller

Member No.: 28

Yami enjoyed the library. If he wasn't in the lab trying to harvest the poison from something, he was here doing research. He had already grabbed several texts on a new method of diluting tetrodotoxin into a medically useful form for painkillers, but was still searching for one more book. It was called The Sea and Poison, though not the same one that Kokuro had discovered, though when he asked the librarian where to find the text, he was unfortunately mislead to the section she was in.

He would find the aisle that she was in, and saw the book in her hands. He didn't recognize the cover, but just went off the name of it, and assumed it was the one he was after. He wouldn't think about how he looked like a small child, and would just walk up to her and point. "Excuse me," he would say extremely loudly and without any tact. He flipped his palm up as if expecting to receive it immediately. "Give me that book." This type of demand would seem to fit his appearance. Small child, average looking clothing for someone of the age of 10, all topped off with a backpack with a cute penguin on it, and a keychain full of little plastic chibi figurines.

Chou

--------------------
user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image
PMEmail
^
Chou
 Posted: Jul 12 2017, 11:10 PM

"Excuse me,"

Her attention finally pried away from the book, Kokuro blinked. She looked first to the left and then to the right before finally glancing up at the boy's hand as it was extended out to her. It was a little shocking to be found like this, typically she was overlooked. Especially being so quiet in a place of silence like this. For a moment, she seemed confused, both about his sudden appearance and his request. "Oh!" Kokuro smiled before quickly memorizing her place in the book, shutting it gently, and holding it out towards the stranger. "You must be fan of Endō's writing, too!" Completely oblivious to the obvious rudeness and the fact he appeared to be a child, she smiled and tilted her head. "Well, you won't be disappointed. It's a quite gruesome at times, but so far it's a very good read."

Finally taking the time to study him, he did seem quite young. She'd not seen many like him walking about and it only peaked her interest in the school more. There were so many different types of people in this place, it was a lot to take in! The thing that was most interesting, however, was that he was also interested in what she was sure would be her new favorite book. "It's so nice to be stumbled upon by someone else interested in the way people's minds work and the actions they take during traumatic events such as war. The extents they go to find out why their country was terrorized. It almost makes you wonder if the characters are actually still human or not." A sheepish grin touched her features as she shook her head. The realization of what she was doing caused her to become internally embarrassed. She was far more interested in the book itself than the actual person asking for it, that wasn't how people worked. However, it was a little too late to recover from her social transgressions now.

"Apologies, I'm rambling. Here- It's yours. Enjoy! I'll find it again in here someday."

Kitsu
PM
^
Kitsu
 Posted: Jul 13 2017, 08:14 AM

Story Teller

Yami looked at her for a moment. "Who's Enyo?" His response to the author's name might come at a surprise to her, but he was looking for a different book, and was also not one inclined to read for fun. He looked down at the book that was handed to him, and took it, studying the cover for a moment before flipping to the middle somewhere and reading. He held the book back out to her, not even bothering to close it. "I don't know what this is, but it's not 'The Sea and Poison'," he would state flatly.

He would wait for the person to take it back, before searching through the shelves that he could reach, before looking frustrated and climbing up the shelving a very short way to see the next row of books. He pulled one off the shelf that was also called 'The Sea and Poison', but was by a different author, and had a few colorful sea creatures on it the cover. It was sorted in the wrong place due to the title of the book. He removed his backpack and put it on the floor, the penguin's glued on google eyes jiggling as he did so. He unzipped the bag and opened it, a few book covers able to be seen: 'Tetrodotoxin and You', 'Modern Medicine Magazine', and a guide for buying exotic animals. He placed the new book inside and zipped it back up, before looking at the person whom he bothered again.

He bowed. "Sorry for my intrusion."

--------------------
PMEmail
^
Chou
 Posted: Jul 13 2017, 10:52 AM

Who's Enyo? Kokuro blinked. Was this a joke? She watched as he examined the cover of the book, even going so far as to flip through the pages as if there weren't important bits of literature he was missing. A twinge of frustration poked at her brain as he handed it back, claiming it wasn't The Sea and Poison. She eagerly took the book back, a smile on her face though it did not reach her eyes. "Well, it is. Just apparently not the one you are looking for," she stated, a bit dismayed that the two did not share a common interest after all and she'd made herself look like a fool. But, embarrassing one's self was one of the risks of socializing with other people. It was a fact of life she was not enjoying learning. "If you want to find books more quickly next time, you should become familiar with at least the author's name. They are the ones providing you with the information you're taking in, after all." Her tone didn't sound condescending in any sense, though her choice of words seemed as if they could be. Her expression showed no sign of negativity or awareness that her comment might be taken the wrong way. Kokuro settled herself back in, instantly finding her spot among the pages once again, but something was different now. It was difficult to concentrate.

Her eyes moved back up towards the boy as he attempted to get a different book from the shelf. Ultimately, as he set his backpack down, she found her eyes fixated on the cute penguin. Chuckling softly to herself, she pretended to focus back on her book again as he climbed down with the totally different book he was actually looking for. Her curiosity was peaked once more again, however, when he unzipped the bag. There were more books inside and she couldn't help but glance at the titles. Her eyes were fixated on the covers up until the point the sound of the zip and their sudden disappearance snapped her out of concentration. Now she watched as he bowed, apologizing.

Kokuro blinked a few times before smiling. "Those are some pretty interesting selections you have there. Have you ever come across a Mamushi?" It was as if she hadn't heard his apology and also unaware of the fact she was being nosy previously and was focusing mainly on the guide on buying exotic animals he had within his backpack. Moving her book to one hand and down to rest within her lap, she looped a slender finger through the empty lens of her glasses, pulling them up the bridge of her nose and close to her eyes once more. "I read that the venom of a Japanese Mamushi liquefies tissue. I would assume snakes from other countries have the capability of being much worse, but I'm not familiar with them. Yet." She placed a finger to her chin. "While you are here and possibly familiar on the topic, what would be worse? A sting from a Suzumebachi, or a bite from a Mamushi?" She only knew about these creatures from being warned about them as a child and reading up on them because of the warnings. It wasn't something she worried about much because she spent as much time indoors as possible.

Kitsu
PM
^
Kitsu
 Posted: Jul 13 2017, 11:44 AM

Story Teller

Yami was throwing his backpack back on when he stopped. This person had just opened a conversation that may range into the serial killer levels. He took a second to think about how best to explain himself. He had felt the need to accessorize this morning, so he had a pen and notepad with him that were also penguin themed. He clicked the pen and began to write and talk. "The Japanese Giant Hornet has a sting that contains several neurotoxins that cause great pain and stress on the body. However if you look at the math," He paused from his quick speaking and looked up and down Kokuro's body before scribbling some more math. "Assuming your weight falls slightly under normal, we'll put you at roughly 43 kilograms. A requirement of 4.0 milligrams per kilogram, puts a lethal dose for someone your size at approximately 172 milligrams. Assuming the sting produces the rumored amount, you would be in great pain from a single sting but not dead. Barring possible hospitalization due to an..." he would drone on very quickly for a few more seconds about shock and something about a pain index before stopping and showing her his work on the note pad.

There were several penguins faded in the background of the pad's paper, but if she looked past that, the math was precise and organized, with the phrase 'LD = 172mg' circled at the bottom. He then flipped the page and started again. "The pit viper's venom is far more toxic, and depending on the concentration of neurotoxins in the particular specimen, we will use an average lethal dose of 0.76 milligrams per kilogram. Using the same calculation," he scribbled and spoke for a short moment before showing her the pad again and declaring, "32.68 milligrams is the lethal dose for someone your size." He would flip the penguin cover closed on the note pad and click his pen again. "In terms of 'which would be worse', I must ask you a follow up question. Which is worse, wishing you were dead from pain, or being dead?" He had a cute triumphant look on his face as if he had just brought home an A+ grade to his parents on a report card.

Chou

--------------------
PMEmail
^
Chou
 Posted: Jul 19 2017, 01:42 PM

As he spoke, Kokuro carefully closed the book she was reading. She set it aside with the others on the cloth that was laid out, eyes never leaving the silver haired boy as he spoke. Occasionally she would nod in understanding, not at all bothered that her own form was being used as an example for his equations. Honored, even. Since studying wildlife wasn't exactly her thing other than basic facts, the information he was revealing was quite interesting. When he turned the notepad over, her eyes flicked across the borderline macabre notes scrawled over the cute little penguins. Giving him a simple nod, she tilted her head and leaned up from her sitting position to sit on her knees, peering at him curiously as he continued on. She was obviously fully engulfed in this miniature lesson of sorts that stemmed from a simple question and wishing all conversations resulted in the same result.

He spoke well and with confidence. Nothing about his vast knowledge on the subject shocked Kokuro because it was easy to accept the fact someone as small as him was just so physically. He obviously had to be the same age as other students otherwise he would not be attending. Even if he were younger, young people could be just as intelligent as a college student if they applied themselves enough.

"Wow," she spoke softly, looking from his fully finished notes back up to him and his air of pride. "That's incredible, really!" Pushing herself up, Kokuro smiled and clapped once in praise. "It's shocking how dangerous such small creatures can be, I suppose if it were me and I had no way out of the situation, I'd rather go with the snake. I'm not one for pain if I can help it." She held her hand out toward the boy to shake it. "Makes me want to study them a bit more. Thank you for indulging me-" Her sentence trailed off into more of a question, she did not know a name to call him. Was it proper to ask for his name as they'd only just met? Also, what were the chances of them bumping into one another again? "I'm sorry," she interrupted herself, looking down at him sheepishly. "What name do you go by?"

Kitsu
PM
^
Kitsu
 Posted: Jul 20 2017, 07:59 AM

Story Teller

Yami's face was slightly red, he wasn't ready to see someone actually enjoying his work. Most of the time he scared people off, especially when the bugs, snakes, and sea life came out of the tanks and on to his table, though he could count the amount of times someone joined him during a venom extraction or toxin purification on one hand. His face turned into a stern look when he was asked for his name. He never knew how people would react to his family name. Half of them knew who his family was, and half of them didn't. And of half of the people who know his family, most of them ask for free samples or internship.

He took a card from his pocket and handed it over with two hands as he bowed. He sighed as he spoke, "My name is Hatakeyama, Yami, heir of the Wicked Brews potions and toxins chain." He would wait for his new acquaintance to take his business card before returning to a standing position. He would expect the same courtesy in return as far as introductions, though not everyone walked around with a business card in Japan.

Chou

--------------------
PMEmail
^
Chou
 Posted: Jul 23 2017, 01:17 PM

She watched his reaction, intrigued. Was it inappropriate to compliment someone in a situation like this? Kokuro had always thanked teachers and wrote letters to authors and professors alike in gratitude to valuable knowledge learned, it made sense to her. It seemed like the correct thing to do. When the business card was handed to her, Kokuro gingerly took it from his hands. "Hatakeyama.." She repeated his name softly, eyes reading over the card briefly before meeting his once more. A genuine smile graced her features as she knelt down to her back pack, withdrawing a very worn, what seemed to be handmade leather notebook. Inside was a pocket, similar to what would be inside a folder. She tucked the card safely within.

His expression looked expectant and Kokuro suddenly found herself on the spot. It was her turn. No fancy business cards or the like, but her name- She cleared her throat softly as she attempted to correct her terrible posture and mimic Yami's stern, professional expression. "I am Hosokawa, Kokuro. I'm a new student here." Thinking back to seeing business people meet one another, she compared it to how her grandmother greeted people to better know how to handle the situation. She bowed in return. "It is a pleasure to make your acquaintance and at the risk of being over casual, I do ask that I simply be called Kokuro during my time here." She smiled. It wasn't that having the same last name as the person in charge of the academy was embarrassing, it was just not a name she felt she could fully carry the weight of just yet. And that was obvious. Her schooling had been strict, she held herself to over high academic standards throughout her life. However, unlike Moritatsu, she had never been through the struggles he had.

Real world struggles that deeply affected a person. Of course, she only knew about him through family gatherings. Their relation was actually quite distant. It would be surprising if he even knew who she was or that she was attending his academy. Looking back at Yami, Kokuro pondered if it would be polite to ask about his province. She had heard of the Hatakeyama Clan of Noto in conversation before, but had obviously never seen Noto herself or had interactions with Hatakeyama members. But Yami was starting to make more sense, based on his name and book selection, Kokuro could see she had gotten his specfic interests wrong. She'd hit the target, but not the bullseye. It wasn't a big deal because this was a casual social situation, but she reminded herself in the future to do a better job about analyzing a person before making contact and to not be distracted by physical appearance. It was always easier to know a person's name before speaking with them. At least to her.
PM
^
Kitsu
 Posted: Jul 28 2017, 08:46 AM

Story Teller

Yami looked satisfied with the introduction. Polite, yet casual. There was no need for him to act in a way that would be expected from an heir to a large company. He was curious about this person though. Not many people can hear a calculation on how much poison it takes to kill them with such courage. Also considering that he had the poison on him that could do the deed would cause people to be even more on edge about being in range of a poison artisan such as him.

"What track are you in, might I ask? You show courage in seeing your death in a small mathematics calculation, and most would feel uneasy." He checked on a glass vial that was strapped onto the side of his backpack before carefully picking the pack up and putting his arms through the shoulder straps.

CHOU

OOC: I'll be on vacation next week, so I may not be able to post for a little while. The hotel has free wifi, so I may still get on, but just be aware of that ^^

--------------------
PMEmail
^
Chou
 Posted: Aug 10 2017, 04:57 PM

Was it something a normal person would feel uneasy about? Kokuro smiled and shrugged, "I like to know the facts. If I'm a tool in a quest for knowledge, so be it." At this point she bent down to start collecting the books she had lain out, folding them carefully within the cloth before sliding them into her pack so tenderly it was as if she were dealing with an atomic bomb. "I decided to go with the infiltration track. With my insatiable hunger for information I thought it would be perfect." Having gathered her belongings into her bag, she hoisted it up and threw it over her shoulder, frail body buckling a little bit under the heavy weight.

"I'm assuming you are part of the medical track, then? With your interest and excellent knowledge in poison, it would be shocking if you were not. I find that sort of thing very intriguing." Her soft, monotone voice spoke matter of factly as she tilted her head watching Yami. He had only humored her on basic insect and snake venom, but she could tell by his selections and the way he spoke he was well versed on the topic. He must be. "Have you been attending classes here long? I must admit I am both very excited and very nervous. While I do plan on taking my classes seriously above all else, I find learning about people interesting as well." She pushed her glasses up the bridge of her nose once again as they had slipped down when she'd slung her backpack on.

"The only thing I'm not new to here is academics, I'm afraid. This school will be my greatest challenge yet." Her eyes watched the boy as she wondered. That was normal too, right? Finding an interest in other human beings? Not just things like favorite foods or hobbies, but everything. What makes a person tick? Everyone is all too familiar with their own selves. What about knowing the ins and outs of another person? Right down to their barely noticed nervous ticks. Though, judging by her vague and opaque way of explanation, perhaps he wouldn't read all of that from her.
PM
^
Kitsu
 Posted: Sep 1 2017, 10:31 AM

Story Teller

Yami smiled warmly, which is not a particularly normal thing to see from him. "Just remember to do your best above all else." He seemed a little unsure about his words, and the didn't seem as confident as they could have been. Yami wasn't used to having very many friends, most people deciding to keep their distance after finding out he was a poison specialist. Something about poison seemed to put people off, but this person was different.

"This is my first year here, and I haven't really taken any classes yet." He rubbed the back of his head nervously. This academy was unique for letting students pick and choose their classes as they are available, and there hadn't been any for his particular set of skills yet. "I do hope that you will come to me as an infiltration student for my services as an artisan one day. I would be more than happy to offer you my services." Another warm smile, this time his words were much less conflicted and uncertain.

Chou

Sorry it took so long, I've been having a lot of RL issues that are keeping me busy.

--------------------
PMEmail
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Add Reply
New Poll

skin by bonbon.
Affiliates [ View All | Link-us ]
Summers Past Wicked Wonderland Rpg-Directory Panda Directory Below The Sun Distant Fantasies Mercenary Stranger Than Fiction Seicho No Hana World of Remnant Out of Control GOSSAMER Sonata of Awakening No Heroes Prisoners of Fate Avalon Providence All of Me Fairy Tail Guild Monstrum Digitalis .hack//infinity PANDORA'S ASCENSION FORCED HEROES UNBOUND Black Static HEART SIGH Pandora Sedition Persona: Shallow Colour A lurking shadow Bleach Platinum Hearts PAINTING UNDER THE FLAMES Tales of Hyrule RWBY-AU Those Among Us Continent of Altrus Starfall Together We Fall New Game+ fate/breaking chains misfts! Broken War Online Chaos Theory Rise of the Believers Valar Dohaeris Together We Fall Hero Quirks Tōitsu-koku Musou: Age of Edo Love Hina Generation This Too Shall Pass Star Signs Reach For The Stars After a Dream Songless Birds Terrasphere