Sengoku Horizon

Look towards the Horizon

The Warring States Period: Fierce warlords fought for control of Japan, and many would perish. When a warrior falls, where does the passion they once held go? Possibly into something dear such as a favorite weapon or heirloom. These heirlooms have been labeled as “relics”, and those that carry them are labeled as “Scions." Recently more and more of these special relics have been activating, signaling the start of a great change as ancient power meets the modern world!

Now For The Local News, 04/01/2018 The Chinese delegation have now arrived at the city of Edo. They have come to learn more about the state of Japan, the Shogunate, and it's Scions. We will be having a Lunar New Year's celebration, a school dance, and a combat tournament with them!

Search the Site Announcements Guide Book Rules Quick Start Guide Character Creation Plotting Section Open Threads Missions Shop Chat Area Advertising

Add Reply
New Poll

Amaterasu's Cave
UKIYO
 Posted: Nov 19 2017, 01:37 PM

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 143

Awards: None

Sunflowers, swaying in the rose-tinted breeze. How big, and bold, and beautiful. Hana was an emulation of the cicada immersed summer lilies. The white rose and the blood red spider lily personified. But ever since the Rebellion, she had transfigured into a dark cloud of doubt. A raging storm of anger- Edo was in ruins, the country was broken. Patchwork was of the utmost importance, but it didn't quell her emotions. She needed so many answers, and the urge for them swirled in her head, rustled through her hair and breathed into her lungs. She was Amaterasu, but from disgust and conflict hid her light in a cave.

During the rebellion, she barely had time to step out of her room, much less see the school for what it really was- but now, it felt hopeless to even look beyond the damage the school took. Beyond the bullet-shaped peepholes of the castle, there were nothing cracked sidewalks, empty gun shells, and broken storefronts laid waste by desperate commoners- now looters. Only once in a while there was the occasional harried person, moving quickly with tense purpose, but no-one left their homes unless absolutely necessary and the children were almost never seen anymore.

The cold air danced against the hem and skirt of her winter coat, her hands shoved deep in its pockets as she navigated the school. The dorms that once thronged with life stood empty. Gone were the fever dream warriors, freshly draped in their egos on the training grounds. The halls had become completely decimated, riddled with students- depressed in unison over the loss of a friend, family, or a lover. There was no laughter ringing through the crowds, be it gossip polite and malicious, news about an idol or laments on failing grades. Now even at midday, all that was there would be the hallowed out tacenda, with only the wind for company.

Quietly, she'd made her way to the third floor- where all the third years and elites stayed- she was told. Of course, she would've loved to visit Suishoku, to properly thank her for everything she'd down for her in battle. But the cold truth that she might still be in the hospital, recovering from her relic's consequences, bit at her heels and turned her the other way. Up here, the heels of her boots echoed against the dark, cherry wood flooring. It was a stark contrast from the rest of the entire school- so much that it was actually a bit frightening, and a bit too self-conscious for her taste. She never tried to live too wise ever before.

Just what exactly could have been going through the minds of those monks? Did they even realize the destruction they'd caused? The anguish and bloodshed they'd made a path of? It wasn't a matter of how dare they- but, why would they? What could've possessed them to go to these lengths of terror? Hana caught herself promptly as the harsh wind had blown a piece of paper- her schedule from her bag. Naturally, her reflexes saved her this time, but as she caught it- her eyes, accentuated with creases of thought and fatigue took notice of the opulent office in front of her. It was closed- she expected no less, she wouldn't bother to knock- it was better to leave a teacher to their work. But the sign that decorated it, boldly written in black against white, beckoned her to knock, at least once- twice.

"校長" | Kōchō

"済みません 校長, ご免ください?" {Excuse me, headmaster, may I come in?}

She sighed after she'd asked for permission. Looking at the murals of Edo history as she waited for an answer. She...she was the same as them. Right? Of all the noble samurai- she had the same blood and cause, right?

@Admin

--------------------
PMEmail
^
Nobuyumi
 Posted: Nov 27 2017, 05:20 PM

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

(OOC: I'm so sorry about how long this took. I was so busy irl. I promise to respond to this promptly after you post)

The sounds of students running laps could be heard outside the main school building. A lot of the campus had already been rebuilt during the summer, and the Headmaster was already settling into his rebuilt office. This was the second time in two years his office had been rebuilt and each time felt strange. His office hadn't directly taken damage during the attack in the spring, however since the entire campus was being rebuilt and repaired anyway he didn't see a problem with having maintenance done on the staff offices. His floor had a nice blue and white carpet leading from the door of his office to his wooden desk with the two chairs in front of it as always. Bookshelves lined the walls as his proper samurai armor rested in a corner of the office. As he had just finished stamping papers about a meeting between Bugei students and a foreign nation a knock came on his door.

"済みません 校長, ご免ください?" {Excuse me, headmaster, may I come in?} the voice asked.

The Headmaster looked up curiously. It was rare for this particular student to come to his office. Though in the wake of the Ikko's attack on Edo many students had started opening up to the various Bugei staff.
"Come in." the Headmaster said. He made sure the two chairs in front of his desk looked clean. They had nice cushions on them and happened to be made of rather expensive wood.
"The Door should be unlocked."

The Headmaster had kind eyes. He was a strange man in that in spite of how kind he was to the students he still had the aura of a samurai and warlord. Yet, he was the Headmaster of the academy and did his best to be open and sympathetic towards every student, regardless of social status or background. Today he was in a nice blue suit with his hair fairly well maintained. Yet upon his desk sat a small army of paperwork.

UKIYO

--------------------
Azai Nobuyori
The stuck up clan lord who defends the people.

Tagami Yumiko
The adorable poet girl who hates war.

Katayama, Masato
A strategist bent on changing the world.
PMEmail
^
UKIYO
 Posted: Dec 27 2017, 10:42 PM

Advanced Member

(OOC: It's okay, if anything I'm sorry for taking so long as well > ~ <, take your time with responding!)

---

Hana didn’t wait more than just a second, but it felt like an eternity- perpetually waiting for all her questions to be answered. She closed her eyes briefly, not wanting to stare at the door a second longer. Behind her eyes, she could see the sunlight burning red on her tiring eyelids. With a sharp breath, she felt both summer and winter rush past each of her senses. For whatever reason, it felt like old memories- flower dancing with the new. In a way, the Ikko were just as old- they were only newspaper clippings from the past now. Yet Hana could feel the lie and animosity in that train of thought.

Just like old memories, they just don’t disappear, they’re always there- lingering beneath the surface and waiting for remembrance.

When she entered, she was sure to bow. Respectful and proper as she’d forever be- yet there was a soft of fear in her? She felt like she was about to converse with her own father, not Bugei’s headmaster.

“Good morning, sir.”

She retorted, her stress and intensity like a burning pit of fire. A stark and favourble contrast to the headmaster’s own tranquility.

“I came regarding the Ikko- we…met late in the war and you said you’d answer any questions.”

Though she didn’t stutter- in fact Hana was quite above that- she paused before every sentence, like everything that left her mouth needed to be worded with care and precision with this man. And that itself was one of the rarest things she could ever do.

“I never stopped dwelling on that-“

She caught herself there, she stopped and looked at the headmaster like she’d made a blunder.

“I’m sorry if I’m intruding on any affairs.”

It seemed the princess, as fierce as she may be had yet to truly find her claws.

---

Nobuyumi

--------------------
PMEmail
^
Nobuyumi
 Posted: Dec 29 2017, 01:57 PM

Administrator

As the Headmaster gazed upon Hana he saw someone who had clearly come seeking answers. It was rare to see a student be this direct in approaching his office, not that he particularly minded of course. Part of being Headmaster was the fact he got to see the students grow and change over the years. With a strong look in her eyes Hana revealed the reason she had come.
“I came regarding the Ikko- we…met late in the war and you said you’d answer any questions.” at this the Headmster's eyebrow raised a bit. It was certainly true, he was just surprised that the Sanada princess was coming to him in such a manor as this.

“I never stopped dwelling on that-“
She caught herself there, she stopped and looked at the headmaster like she’d made a blunder.
“I’m sorry if I’m intruding on any affairs.”
At her words Headmaster Hosokawa slowly pushed his chair back and stood up. Walking over to a side of the room Hana would notice a very old tea kettle with a bit of steam rising from it as the Headmaster took out two small cups, and then slowly poured the warm tea into the cups. The tea appeared to be a light red tea, not a color she was use to seeing with teas. As he finished pouring the tea the Headmaster looked back at her.

"Please, sit. Also, don't mind the stack of paperwork. With the school having just been repaired, along with most of Edo, I still have a lot of follow up reports and thank you letters to write to the Shogunate and various clans for their work over the summer." he said as he put the teapot back on a small heating try. Bringing the two cups over to his desk he moved the paperwork to one side of his desk, even putting some of it on the floor, as he set one cup in front of Hana. He then walked back over to his own chair and sat down, taking a small sip of the tea before putting his own cup down.

"I'm sure you aren't use to seeing a red tea. It is imported from Africa. A merchant in Southern Edo had some over the summer." he explained before setting down one last stack of paperwork. After all it wouldn't have done anyone any good if the paperwork became soaked and the documents destroyed.

"I did indeed promise I would answer whatever questions you had regarding the Ikko monks and my presence in Southern Edo. Where would you like to start?" with that he clicked a button under his desk. Hana could hear the doors to the room creak and slip completely shut, locking themselves and sealing.

"I apologize, but I'd rather not be interrupted while explaining serious matters like this." he said it clearly, with a look in his eyes that told Hana she would be ok, but that what they would be discussing was not something to just be shared by whomever felt like it.

UKIYO

--------------------
Azai Nobuyori

Tagami Yumiko

Katayama, Masato
PMEmail
^
UKIYO
 Posted: Dec 31 2017, 08:59 PM

Advanced Member

She felt a bit out of place in his office- what with all the paperwork and scholarly tools lying around- students probably didn’t visit him often. That in itself was a pity- he seemed very nice already. Given the situation, he was also quite willing to listen to her lament. Her eyes wondered around the room briefly- hopefully he didn’t catch that. To Hana it seemed rather rude to do so, but she couldn’t blame herself with the entirely new surrounding she’d found herself in.

Then finally, she fixated her eyes on him- on the tea. It was a pleasant shade of red, almost as red as her own hues but failing to live up to the intensity. In a way, that was pleasant. Hana simply had to appreciate that not everything had to be intense and hardcore. Of course, she knew that life was comprised solely on balance, she just never truly wrapped her head around the concept.

She quietly took a seat once he’d told her so, though she admittedly spaced out from the thought. Sighing, she knew she was hopeless and wished her life was one that didn’t allow her to have so many thoughts swirling in her head. Crashing and fumbling with no intention of ending- it was her fate ever since the war, and it plagued her just as well in the night time

“I see,” She muttered, giving the paperwork a once over.

“It’s interesting how clans who would otherwise dislike one another can still cooperate.”

Uninhibited- but she didn’t seem to care what left her mouth most of the time. Often it was something that wasn’t meant to be taken back anyways. Of course, all the clans had to answer to the Shogunate, but that didn’t mean they’re arms were tied and their minds controlled. She was sure a significant of tension was in some of those letters. She thanked him as he set the cup down in front of her, but it was more of a mellowed, confused, ‘what are you doing?’ as her eyes listlessly followed his movements to putting important papers on the floor- albeit to accommodate her.

“Really?”

She murmured, gazing down at her own reflection, at her own scarlet hues brightening the shade of the brew. Hana, as traditional as she was, didn’t care for some of the things a high birthed lady should’ve. As long as she was at Edo, it didn’t matter to the extent at which it seemed to for the headmaster.

“I wouldn’t have guessed,” there it was, further confirming that she had no idea that this tea was that much of a delicacy. Yet when she’d actually take a sip she understood why. It was lighter than any other tea she’d had. And very sweet too. In fact it was actually quite delicate; flowery.

What an interesting thing for the Headmaster to like.

“I want…to know their motives. As in- what is your idea on their motives?- Why do they do the things they do?”

The reaction time she had to that was smooth and quick- as if she’d already decided her exact words for this very moment, long before she even thought of braving the Headmaster with her needs,

“As a child, I was never told a full story- other than they were just bad people that needed to be put down.”

She explained, her focus no longer on the beverage, but directly at him; at his soul.

“When we…killed one of their generals- he said certain things that sounded far deeper than just being a bad person…And the things that I saw, they were either insane or more than just bad people. And they aren’t insane. Are they?”

The tone in her question was more sarcasm than genuine- though she didn’t intend to be rude at all. However, Hana was quite sure that there was more to it the Bad intentions and Insanity- her father once told her that villains were merely heroes whose stories were never heard after all.

She was about to ask yet another question supporting the first, but the abrupt noise of the two doors shuffling to a close put an end to that before it even begun. She looked at him, and immediately understood his intentions. Whatever they’d conversed about was not only to be taken gravely, but also never be spoken to anyone else for however long necessary. Hana nodded, before taking another sip of her tea.

“Yes, sir.”

----

Nobuyumi

--------------------
PMEmail
^
Nobuyumi
 Posted: Jan 4 2018, 05:58 PM

Administrator

The Headmaster sipped his tea, still looking at Hana, but briefly looking down at the drink before him, he let the hot tea sit on his tongue for a few moments before finally drinking it and then lightly setting the tea cup back down. He didn't seem to have actually consumed much of it. Instead it was likely the action was more for thinking, hoping the mellow flavor of the tea would help calm his words into a proper explanation.

"Insane rebels that have to be put down." he repeated. It was a simple enough summary of Hana's words but an explanation for the Ikko Ikki that the leader of Edo bugei was more than content to allow it to hang in the air for a bit between them. It was a line that every student had heard. Beyond that, it was a line that everyone in Japan had likely heard at one point or another. Either way, it seemed to be the standard government rhetoric.

"First, one must ask what an Ikki is. an Ikki, by definition, is a peasant or monk uprising against the government. The word was first introduced in the Heian era, in which warrior monks where common place. It is hardly a new term." the way he said it felt very teacher like. As though this had suddenly become a lecture. Though as the Headmaster of the school, on such a sensitive topic, it was easy to anticipate.

"Now the real question is what does the "Ikko" in "Ikko Ikki" mean? The Ikko sect are a group of monk during the Sengoku era. They fought against Oda NObunaga, and the Shogunate. They killed many samurai and said that Japan should be ruled by the people, not the samurai. This was, of course, a lie. The Ikko claim the people of Japan should rule themselves, but what they really mean are that the Ikko sect should rule Japan instead of the samurai." the last words clearly had disgust. The Headmaster's eyes briefly flashed to a picture on his desk of himself with a woman and a child.

"Japan being ruled by normal people. A democracy. The idea itself isn't flawed I suppose. Not that the Shogunate would want me to tell you that. However, Democracy isn't what the Ikko Ikki want. They want the death of the samurai class so that they can replace the samurai class with themselves, and then force the Emperor in Kyoto to acknowledge them. No. The Ikko are not psychotic, they are in fact quite intelligent. However, they are the enemy of the samurai. The samurai, those that support the samurai, it doesn't matter who dies to them. As long as they don't support the Ikko, then the Ikko had no need for them." his face looked visibly angry and his words clearly showed his feelings towards the Ikko. No doubt would exist in the room that the Headmaster would easily kill any Ikko monk that crossed his path.

"I am curious though. What did this Ikko general have to say to you?" Though it had been phrased by a question, it was clearly more a demand then anything else.

UKIYO

--------------------
Azai Nobuyori

Tagami Yumiko

Katayama, Masato
PMEmail
^
UKIYO
 Posted: Feb 16 2018, 06:53 PM

Advanced Member

She hummed, taking another sip of tea. For whatever reason she hoped it would quell her thoughts a little while longer. As the headmaster repeated her own words, she couldn’t help to still find flaws in it. So they were right? Maybe she was just being a stupid girl- she was definitely going against everything she’d ever known. What if they weren’t exactly right?? Her father always told her only the victors write history and the shogunate was no exception. Perhaps her emotions couldn’t lie- not when she wore them so boldly on her face; in her fists.

At the very least, she was attentive to his teachings, nhowever, not in a way that was of a student in particular. She didn’t groan or roll her eyes, she didn’t frown or get fed up with his lecture of an explanation. Instead she paitently waiting for him to come to a conclusion, with the sort of ferocity that also waited for a weakness or opening to justify he own thoughts. Almost like a debate rather than a student-teacher encounter.

“Before I answer that, I still don’t see my questions answered- I know who they are, I’ve heard what they’ve done.” She remarked, pausing as she scanned for what the Headmaster’s flashed over in a split second.

It seemed, even without her relic she was still abundant in the skill it provided, just not to such a level.

“And I think I can deduce what they’ve done. But why? What’s truly the reason, what gave birth to their movement in the first place?”

“If it is greed and jealousy as you make it out to be, then it doesn’t match up to what I really want. Headmaster-"

There was passion I her voice- of course, she spoke that way all the time, yet at the same time, she wasn’t one to anger the man in any way. He was the head of this school, it didn’t suit her, her lineage or her causes to raise her voice.

“He said it was always us, stealing things away from him- of course, I can sleep at night knowing we took away both his 'harem' and his 'life'. But what else did we take? The general was a disgusting man, and it’d give me a pitiful outlook on the world that he was always like that. I just can't accept that a child- a being who is pure and unjaded- just grows up to be that way. And if he did, why did his behavior go unchecked for so long? I understand if it’s propaganda- and I’m foolish for believing it. Yet, to some extent ‘we’ may have stolen his sense of honor.”

“I'd never support the Ikko for what they've caused, but I can't help but wonder if we're also to blame for both their shortcomings and existence. My father told me, even in the art of war- every action must be met with a reaction and the one who leaves their peaches unguarded will find them rotting.”

She sipped more of the tea, finding it to be calming in moments where an argument could’ve arisen. Either way it could’ve- he was an adult who was grounded in his beliefs, she was a child who was skeptical and rough about the world. She expected it.

“What I’m trying to say is, why is it that we don’t seem to have any hand in the birth or the spur of the Ikko Ikki? What if there’s more than what meets the eye?”

--------------------
PMEmail
^
Nobuyumi
 Posted: Feb 18 2018, 10:53 AM

Administrator

“What I’m trying to say is, why is it that we don’t seem to have any hand in the birth or the spur of the Ikko Ikki? What if there’s more than what meets the eye?” The words brought a smile to the Headmaster. He gazed at the girl with pure eyes. She wasn't just thinking about the battle she took place in, nor the next one, but was instead questioning why it happened, and who the enemy was. It was analytical skill he wished more students had, and to say he was enjoying the conversation would surely be an understatement at this point.
"Hmm, how should I explain this?" he asked more to the air than to Hana, or even to himself. Sipping his tea to clear his throat a bit he gazed at his suit of armor in the corner of his office before returning his gaze to meet Hana's eyes.

"Their is a western concept. The chicken or the egg, which came first? It means it is impossible to understand which created the other. The Ikko Ikki, and our killing them, is the same. The Ikko Ikki hate the Shogunate, and hate Japan's government. Thus they rise up to try and destroy it. Thus we rise up to take them down. Though, the Shogunate doesn't always wait for it to be full war. Sometimes they just take down small groups of monks, or assassinate leaders. We kill rebel monks, the monks think the shogunate is even more heavy handed, they rise up and start killing samurai, we kill them, and the cycle comes to a head, has a quiet period, and starts again." his face seemed matter of fact when he spoke but his eyes seemed to contain both hatred and sorrow. The fact was simple, the samurai and rebel monks had killed one another for centuries.

"It has been this way since the Era of Emperor Emperor Go-Daigo (1300 A.D.) with no change. The Ikko monks view the Shogunate as the enemy, so they formed groups, "Ikko" to defend themselves. Then those Ikko grow larger, and eventually get too large for the Shogunate to simply ignore."

"Now when it comes to the general you defeated. He was not an Ikko monk. He was a former metsuke who was extremely corrupt. He kidnapped and raped young women, and forced the families to pay him for him not publicly shaming them. He was found out by an Edo Bugei teacher who proceeded to beat him bloody. Shortly after, he was removed from the city of Edo. He would have been executed, however he also had powerful allies and was from a noble family. After he was banned from Edo and publicly humiliated I'm sure his hate of the Shogunate quickly brought him to the doorstep of the Ikko Ikki. What he lost, was his own fault. His honor, his pride, his disgusting harem, all of them had been thrown away by that man's own greed. He needs no sympathy or thought, even in death." his eyes seemed almost violent as he spoke. The thought of that man and his actions blatantly disgusted the Headmaster who's life existed to protect Edo's gifted youth.

UKIYO

--------------------
Azai Nobuyori

Tagami Yumiko

Katayama, Masato
PMEmail
^
UKIYO
 Posted: Feb 18 2018, 07:46 PM

Advanced Member

How could he explain it? She thought about his words for a good while, there in the silence. Outwardly she was paitently waiting. But inside- she doubted even her father could explain that kind of situation- and he was a man of equal wisdom and war.

"So, in your own words, the tension between the Ikko and the Shogunate is impossible to understand? We don't know why it happened, but we kill them as they kill us." It was depressing to think that way, but Hana wasn't nearly as pure enough to weep over it.

Fact, she could understand- the young girl could easily grasp the conversation- but it wasn't enough to quell the onslaught of questions she had for him. At this point- the only thing that could lighten the intensity of the situation was if she'd asked him how he got his hair so nice.

"I understand that. I don't feel anything for him."

The idea of emotions when it came to the fallen metsuke was on a whole different level of extremity. It's true- she felt nothing for him, not even gratefulness for his death. He was just something thrown to the side, a wayward weed dug up by the wind. She felt neither good nor bad towards him. He was disposed of and that was that.

"I also understand if this topic makes you upset. I seem like I'm arguing the justice of the Ikko after all. Thank you for bearing with me, sir."

陰陽道

That's what it reminded her of. Except neither the Ikko Ikki nor the Shogunate was quite as quintessential. In this life however, it seemed one could not exist without the other. One was good and the other was bad.

"Just...if you took away the wrong doings of both entities and replaced them with what they stood for- Who exactly is good and bad?"

"What if you were on the side of the Ikko, what if the Shogunate was the true evil here. How would you feel?"

---

Nobuyumi

--------------------
PMEmail
^
Nobuyumi
 Posted: Feb 22 2018, 09:54 PM

Administrator

The headmaster as enjoying the conversation to be sure. It was rare that he scheduled time to freely chat with a student about both politics and philosophy.

"Just...if you took away the wrong doings of both entities and replaced them with what they stood for- Who exactly is good and bad?" she asked him. However,his was only part one of her question.
"What if you were on the side of the Ikko, what if the Shogunate was the true evil here. How would you feel?" The questions made even the Headmaster sit back a bit as he contemplated things from the side of the Ikko. It would be a lie to say this was his first time doing such. However, unlike previous times, this time the thinking was quite guided it seemed. Thus the Headmaster gave the girl a full answer.

"Both of those are subjective, with words like good and evil. However, lets look at this from a neutral view. Between the Ikko and ourselves, it is war. Both sides have done terrible things. Murdering thousands of the other side's forces. Both sides essentially want the same thing, a country ruled by their selective leader. The samurai want the Shogunate and his advisors to lead the country. Meanwhile the Ikko say the people should have western democracy, but guided by their leaders as the choices. So regardless of who wins, the Ikko monasteries have all the power. In this way I would say the Ikko are worse. Giving people a false sense of government and control. At least the Tokugawa clan is clear on the social hierarchy and who may move above their station." the Headmaster explained carefully.

"Now if I was an Ikko who believed the Shogunate to be the true evil,I would fight just as hard as I do now, but with my weapons turned against the Shogunate, not the enemies of the Shogunate. Either way, however, I would fight. In this fight, I have already chosen my side. It wouldn't be hard to make the Hosokawa clan join the Ikko. However, to do so would be shaming 400 years of history. Something I could never do. Much like your own Sanada clan."

In terms of politics, the thought of the Hosokawa or the Sanada joining the Ikko was impossible to comprehend. Both had been allies with the Tokugawa Shogunate for the past 400 years without question. In many ways the Shogunate was far from just the Tokugawa Clan. It was the Tokugawa, and all of the clans that declared loyalty to them. Such as the Sanada, Hosokawa, Honda, Maeda, and Ii.

Instead of the normal winking answers he normally gave as someone clearly serving the Shogunate, it was clear that this time the Headmaster was being completely honest. No part of his soul had any sympathy or wish to fight alongside the Ikko. To him the Ikko rebels had only two places. Surrendering, or being destroyed.

--------------------
Azai Nobuyori

Tagami Yumiko

Katayama, Masato
PMEmail
^
UKIYO
 Posted: Mar 18 2018, 08:51 PM

Advanced Member

As she waited for the man's answer, her gaze was averted to look towards the outdoors, normally, this was done when the conversation bored the other. However, it was more a gentle observation before the Headmaster had properly gathered his thoughts to answer her.

Leaving this chessboard of a conversation- she took note in how the the sun light painted the castle in her warmest colours, the trees, swaying in the cool breeze were like dancing ladies- each dress more fabulous in it's shades of green, blue, yellow, red and pink than any hue an artisian could craft. In them, the birds rocked back and forth with their own symphonies.

She took note of how they outstretched their hands towards the rays, and instantly reverred them to be the life and soul of the morning. What she observed even more than this however, was the fact that both the Shogunate and the Ikko monks would wake up to the same beauty and try to grasp it as their own.

"Ah," Was all she said in response, before looking back to him, meeting his gaze again as it was appropriate for her blatant aversion seconds earlier. She looked down at her tea, finding there was no more to drink from it. A soft hum left her lips.

"So you mean to say we're both one and the same- only, one has more structure behind their reasoning?" Of course, that one she was referring to, was the Shogunate. While they seemed more like school chilren fighting over a sandbox now, Hana had to admit that she knew nothing of what the Ikko had in mind. Not only that, but they were also quite shady in their dealings.

Such an analogy almosgt illicited a chuckle from the girl- but the nature of their conversation kept her jaw set in place. There was truth in the Headmasters words, but that only meant they were finite as well. "Of course, it would be the unthinkable, but not impossible. What exactly is 400 years in the face of change?"

----

Nobuyumi

--------------------
PMEmail
^
Nobuyumi
 Posted: Mar 23 2018, 05:33 AM

Administrator

"Of course, it would be the unthinkable, but not impossible. What exactly is 400 years in the face of change?" Hana asked. The Headmaster smiled a bit.
"What is changing though?" he mused to her.
"People will always dislike those above them. People will always dislike their government. No group of humans will ever fully agree on a system of rule and government. The Ikko, however, believe in it even less than others and know how to incite people to their cause using religion." as he pointed this out he drank more of his tea, leaving only a bit left.
"I think the Ikko will exist as long as the Shogunate does. However, I think what matters is how the public views them. If the Shogun is just, and Samurai are just, then who can the Ikko pull from to strengthen their own desires?"

With that said he pushed a button to unlock the door to his room. It was clear that the things he didn't wish to say in public, his views on the Ikko and the Shogun, had been stated. Now they could have a bit more casual conversation.
"Did your question only pertain to the Ikko, or did you have other questions as well?" he didn't ask the words to be rude, but actually politely. For once the Headmaster had found some small patch of what others would call free time and since Hana had seemed to insistent on speaking with him he didn't wish to simply turn the girl away.
"I would prefer you not leave this office with any regrets or anything unasked." he stated. He then gave her a very kind smile as he filled up his tea cup a bit.
"Would you like some?" he asked.

--------------------
Azai Nobuyori

Tagami Yumiko

Katayama, Masato
PMEmail
^
UKIYO
 Posted: Mar 30 2018, 10:38 AM

Advanced Member

The answer stunned her, she felt like she'd been caught up in a game of chess and now she'd been rightfully checkmated. What...what was changing? It opened up a new perspective for her, and she stared at the headmaster in awe for a few moments.

He was right- what exactly was change? Was it a chrysalis shedding it's cage after months of metamorphoses, or was it waking with a new, bold and sudden revolution in your bones? She could not answer the question, and in the blankness of her mind, she laughed. How...cathartic.

Originally, he was just her headmaster- but eventually she came to realize that he was more of a guide than a place holder. She wished she could have more conversations like this with the man, but given their roles, such a case was not to be. Hana held her breath. She respected him far more than just before now.

"So, what you mean to say, is that these two entities are the same as Balance itself, and it's the people's right to choose who to follow and not our own?"

Her own words may have sounded enigmatic, but it was more coded simply because the headmaster was finally opening the doors. In any case, she was sure he understood her. As long as the Shogunate upheld harmony and peace above all things, then she had no further reason to complain.

She was just about to rise from her seat and bow to the headmaster, but since he insisted on the question, she supposed she had one more thing to say. Humming, the girl had more mischief in her voice than she had before, and she gave him her cup to refill.

"Yes actually- just how many [[decades]] years did it take you to get so wise?"

---
Nobuyumi

--------------------
PMEmail
^
Nobuyumi
 Posted: Apr 2 2018, 07:57 PM

Administrator

"So, what you mean to say, is that these two entities are the same as Balance itself, and it's the people's right to choose who to follow and not our own?" she asked. The Headmaster nodded. As he offered her the tea she rsponded
"Yes actually- just how many [[decades]] years did it take you to get so wise?" With that Headmaster Hosokawa couldn't help but let out a hearty laugh. It was far from what he had expected to hear this evening but warmed his heart none the less. With that being said he made the girl some tea and then refilled his own cup after drinking a bit more. It seemed that during meetings, especially ones he knew he would be speaking a lot, he prefered to keep his cup fairly full.

"I'm afraid I don't consider myself truly wise. Even I make mistakes sometimes." he thought back to when he pushed himself too hard in Southern Edo during the Ikko's attack. Though she hardly needed to know that. Instead he simply deflected by returning to the point they had been talking about before she caught him off guard.
"Much like love, you can't force someone's heart. If you are forced to follow beliefs that are not your own, you will only hate them. I will not force anyone to believe in the Shogunate. It is also why I don't directly go out and fight students that I know support the Ikko Ikki. However, it is when you violently act out against the Shogunate that it becomes our duty to cut you down. Normal people that simply want a different government are not in themselves criminals. Wanting change is not necessarily wrong." he said it more to remind himself than anything else. If the Shogunate killed each and every person that didn't believe in the Shogunate, then only the Shogun would be left, and the rest of Japan dead by the end of it. However, those that violently attacked the Shogunate could not be allowed to live.

"I think if we purposely go and seek out enemies, it will just create more." he finished, sipping this own refill of tea.
"Do you feel better, now that you have heard my views?" he asked politely.

--------------------
Azai Nobuyori

Tagami Yumiko

Katayama, Masato
PMEmail
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Add Reply
New Poll

skin by bonbon.
Affiliates [ View All | Link-us ]
Summers Past Wicked Wonderland Rpg-Directory Panda Directory Below The Sun Distant Fantasies Seicho No Hana World of Remnant Fairy Tail Guild .hack//infinity PANDORA'S ASCENSION FORCED HEROES UNBOUND Black Static HEART SIGH Pandora Sedition Persona: Shallow Colour PAINTING UNDER THE FLAMES Tales of Hyrule RWBY-AU Those Among Us Starfall Together We Fall fate/breaking chains misfts! Chaos Theory Rise of the Believers Valar Dohaeris Love Hina Generation This Too Shall Pass Terrasphere CONFESSIONS Chroniques de la Dynastie le Roi Soleil Piori Incantatem Renascence STARSTRUKK ALOHOMORA | A NON-CANON HARRY POTTER RP Stroke of Luck Valar Dohaeris Prismatic Megalomania Catch-22 Break The Wheel BROKEN BONES & DIAL TONES! To Be Unmade: A marvel infinity war rp Celestial Gateway Academy Seito Institute Sidereal Gardens The Gaea Chronicles AGE OF KINGS LOREM IPSUM SAVE ME Kids in America Pokemon Horizons Imagine Fairy Tail Our Heroes and Villains EVENT HORIZON The Duality of Man LOVE TALK