Sengoku Horizon

Look towards the Horizon

The Warring States Period: Fierce warlords fought for control of Japan, and many would perish. When a warrior falls, where does the passion they once held go? Possibly into something dear such as a favorite weapon or heirloom. These heirlooms have been labeled as “relics”, and those that carry them are labeled as “Scions." Recently more and more of these special relics have been activating, signaling the start of a great change as ancient power meets the modern world!

Now For The Local News, 11/01/2017 The dust has cleared after a fierce clash against the rebel Ikko Ikki monks. Now, as a tense period of calm spread over the island nation of Japan the students of Edo Bugei must figure out how to proceed in life after experience such intense conflicts and such deep loss.

Search the Site Announcements Guide Book Rules Quick Start Guide Character Creation Plotting Section Open Threads Missions Shop Chat Area Advertising

Closed
New Poll

Busywork, Open
Aideen
 Posted: Nov 6 2017, 07:18 PM

Story Teller

Group: Members
Member No.: 77

Awards: None

Kire was sitting outside the smithy building and staring up at the sky. Or he might have been, it was hard to tell since he was wearing his sunglasses again. What was assured was that most anyone who approached him to ask for help with a project or fixing a weapon or sharpening a chipped blade was rudely dismissed before they could even finish speaking. Kire had decided that today he was going to relax. He had been given an assignment to make a tool from a broken blade. A pointless test of his abilities, something far more suited to somebody who needed testing on the differences of metal and the alteration of said metal.

It was insulting, Kire was easily insulted lately. He was a master now. Surely that meant something? He felt that there really should have been a big ceremony but he'd just filled out some paperwork, had his name added to a registry, and got some certificates and licenses. It felt, almost, like he had wasted his time. A license of mastery was not an automatic graduation, it wasn't even an automatic pass. All it seemed to be was an automatic sign that he could help other students with every little minor crafting issue. It was awful.

So it felt good to tell them no. To stare at the sky, uniform unkempt, long coat splayed out underneath him, and just outright deny his skills. That wasn't to say he'd done nothing. The special Aztec weapon had come even further, even if he was growing more distressed by it every day. Distressed might be the wrong word, afraid was better. He was afraid of his creation. It was nasty. It had tried to take his fingers several times already. If the reports he'd read were true, it could take off the head of a horse in a casual swing. He had, at first, believed that this was an exaggeration but his mind was slowly changing as it came closer to being.

It'd probably be done in a few more weeks, days if he bothered to devote himself to it. Then he'd have to decide on a new project. Kire closed his eyes. Maybe he'd find a globe or a map and throw a dart at it randomly. He probably still had a few left from his ill fated club attempt. Then he'd build a traditional legendary weapon from that country. Though knowing his luck, he'd end up somewhere stupid, like here. A sigh escaped his lips. That was what he needed, a new project to keep him occupied and his mind sharp. Not turning a knife into a screwdriver.

--------------------
user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image
PMEmail
^
Alida
 Posted: Nov 10 2017, 06:27 PM

Platinum Poster

Member No.: 6

-The number you have dialed is out of service currently-

That message returned back on her phone in an instant Mika realized that there was someone she wanted to reach out to. Instead she was greeted with a mechanical automated answering machine that made her sigh heavily than finding out that fabric scarves were out of season for fall. Just when she thought there was someone out there to talk to, technology had to step in for a period of hindrance. She tried texting first and didn't get a response for awhile before trying a cellular method. The moment that message returned to her did things become more clear of what was the correct course of action to do.

She didn't have any real business to be here again for a third time. There weren't any orders places and neither was there a need to repair anything on her person. The forge was an odd place that at one point intrigued her before being sent on her way. It was no place for a lady of her stature to be at for too long and neither would it benefit her to learn skills she was unsuited for.

Mika left the club office on the first floor with papers of resignation in hand. She thought about dropping out one of her clubs but have yet to decide which one. The room was on the way to where she wanted to go so picking up the paperwork was trivial. The girl arrived to the door to the forge area where she peered inside to find someone of a similar body type and figure. Mindfully she readily stood to the side before eventually flagging down a student to ask for Kire's whereabouts.

"Is that so," she replied as they kindly pointed him out to her with a warning in mind. So today the Master craftsman was taking time off for themselves and not make anything. Mika bowed to the student and went to approach the man in confidence that her purpose was neither of those things. Mika approached behind him with care not to step on the ends of his coat. The posture he adopted looked almost too old for him. If Kire were to age another 40 years and had a smoke pipe, then it would seem appropriate.

"Business must slow, or someone of quality standards has not yet reached you. Or so it appears." Mika spoke to him while moving her of her hair behind her shoulders. As with any other day in this fall weather has she been dutifully wearing a kimono coat for warmth.

--------------------

user posted imageuser posted image
Elite year, Yuubae Suishoku__Honda Mikazuki, 2nd year
PM
^
Aideen
 Posted: Nov 10 2017, 07:12 PM

Story Teller

Kire had not expected much variation in approaching people. Primarily, smithing students and maybe, if he was very unlucky, the teacher coming out to lecture him. But he wasn't in class, he had his work finished, he was passing with ease. To put it simply, Kire was ready to ignore all of it. But then, things rarely went as expected. He opened his eyes and looked towards the voice. "Honda. This is a surprise." He pushed up his glasses to rub his eyes as he sat up. "Surprised to see you here."

He popped his sunglasses back down. "I guess you could say that. People are more interested in rebuilding than getting specialty weapons made. That or the word hasn't really spread." He'd expected the calls to pour in when he achieved his master's license. But it hadn't, mostly he had chalked it up to more attention being given to the earthquake or the attack on the shogun or the war that broke out. Actually, if you really thought about it, the war meant people wanted blades from proven and known masters and not some upstart kid who just set records. Or maybe that was just an excuse he told himself to keep from getting depressed.

"So what brings you to the forge today? Need to get something fixed or maybe just a new stone and cloth to polish a weapon?" That's what most people who weren't smithing students came for. Weapon upkeep was very important but some people never really understood that. They just went around until the weapon broke or they were called out on it and then suddenly they were in the smithy looking lost and confused. Kire had no interest in helping them today either but he might be willing to admit an exception for Honda, after all, she'd helped him out before.

--------------------
PMEmail
^
Alida
 Posted: Nov 10 2017, 07:45 PM

Platinum Poster

She watched her reflection in his sunglasses changed as the man moved and greeted her before adjusted his posture. She raised a sleeve corner to grin behind to grant him time to readjust himself before bowing slightly in her intrusion. "Indeed. Excuse this unannounced visit," she spoke as though she was meeting a political official back home. Technically speaking Kire would be in a similar rank now that he was a Master craftsman. Oddly he seemed more relaxed. A downtime for him. Mika moved from behind him to his side so that she too could have a seat rather than loom over him constantly.

He explained to her that the reasons he isn't so busy is because of the rebuilding process. People would want material supplies more than blades in this time of healing. In this did she nod in agreement while setting her hands in her lap for a formal posture out of habit. "Perhaps. It would be suspicious to actively seek armament in a time of healing." Requests for armor repairs would also be up there but that too may not be entirely true. Bearing arms for the next attack is still a reason but merely in smaller accounts.

Of course, Kire would ask her what did brought her hear. His offers made her raise a brow and her eyes looked past him to the other students standing before their burners and ovens. "I was informed you weren't taking any requests today," Mika spoke in a brief curiosity about the topic but brushed it aside gently. It may not be how things were at home but even a busy adviser would drop their things when their father would pay personal visit.

"Moving onward, I came today for a few things." Mika explained before taking her phone and turning the speaker on. With a few taps did she attempt to send a call to the number subscribed under Kire's name. As before, the electronic message played aloud for him to hear.

"The number you have dialed is out of service currently"

"It twas thanks to this did I sought you out for this location." Mika explained with a sneaking grin. "If you would be so kind, I wish to reaffirm this point of contact with you."

--------------------

PM
^
Aideen
 Posted: Nov 10 2017, 08:01 PM

Story Teller

Kire shrugged, a familiar gesture to most people who spent a lot of time with him. Mostly it indicated that while he didn't disagree, he held a different opinion. Of course, he quite often spoke it afterwards. "Could be, but I think now is exactly the right time. Junk weapons are everywhere now, dead monks, metsuke, soldiers, and students left them lying around and some people can't help but help themselves." He looked back up at the sky. "Remnants and lawbreakers have a gluttony of choice. Some people want to heal, others will pick at the scabs."

He slowly inhaled through his nose. "I do try to avoid taking requests at all. People ask for the strangest thing. I may be young, but I'm not stupid and I'm not going to do anything as dumb as stick a sword on a chain just because some kid is in line for a clan." He shook his head and then turned his gaze back to Honda. "Frankly they should reward me for stopping that kind of idiocy. I feel confident that I saved a life. Where's my medal?" He scoffed, mostly to show he was joking, mostly.

The phone jolted a few memories out of his head. "Oh right." He still hadn't dealt with that. He really hadn't seen much need, then, after the fiasco with his girlfriend, he'd seen even less reason to bother. "Yeah, I lost my phone back during the whole invasion thingy." He waved his hand dismissively. "I haven't bought a new so I'm kind of, you know, off the grid." There really were very few people in his life, fewer still that he'd actively communicate with by phone. Kire could easily see himself as one of the mountain hermit geniuses out of some story, he was well on his way. "I should probably pick one up from a pawn shop or something."

--------------------
PMEmail
^
Alida
 Posted: Nov 11 2017, 04:40 PM

Platinum Poster

Mika tapped the phone to hang up the call to nowhere then moved it aside by angular movements of shifting it to her right and then pulling it backwards from 90 degrees to her side. "That would be most advisable," she agreed on the notion to get a new phone. "The school would most appreciate it." Or else the notifications would have to find other means to get a hold of Kire whether he wanted to be off the grid or not. Even though he didn't looked too thrilled about the phone and the failure to reach him, Mika took it lightly rather than giving him a scolding toward her brother. That boy was utterly helpful without a reminder to charge his phone every day.

"But I do see what you mean by choosing your customers secondary to your needs. A new craftsman surely has a most unique style that can not simply befit everyone." She too has noted Kire's adherence toward simple things but that was in his person. Rather than giving his all to all creations would that potential be more deserving toward the more prominent ones. On that note of blades, Mika picked up her phone to return it into the depths of her jacket's folds and selected the knife he had given her.

"Afraid to say that I came for something you may or may not appreciate," she began with telling concern that this too may be trivial to him. If he were to remember or not from their last meeting was another matter. The act was more for a sense of closure for herself. Her fingers slid up the fabric to the cheery wood hilt to draw the knife whole before her. She held it before her and pulled to reveal the blade by her hands. It shone cleanly and as polished as when it was first presented to her before closing it with a decided wooden clack and setting it down in the space between them. Mika hoped to simply reintroduce the two and to show a more confident acceptance than her display back at the girl's dorm had been.

"It's name is Hanoen."

--------------------

PM
^
Aideen
 Posted: Nov 12 2017, 12:13 PM

Story Teller

Kire frankly had little interest in letting the school get in contact with him. If they were so desperate they could find him in calss or send him a letter like a normal person. Or, if they had to, an email. He hadn't really taken Honda for a school plant or super obedient kid but maybe this was a joke. Joke or not, she wasn't the first to tell him not having a phone was on some level selfish and he probably should get the replacement sooner rather than later.

He watched Honda as she pulled out the knife he made for her and suddenly felt a little apprehension. He wasn't worried that he'd get stabbed or anything, he was worried that she might be returning it. That would be horrifically awkward, not to mention that it would be in public. Kire tried to pretend that he didn't much care about honor or reputation but, at least when it came to his craftsmanship, he cared very deeply. But rather than return it, she gave its name and Kire visibly relaxed.

"Oh." he looked at the knife. So she had taken some elements of his tradition with her, that was...pleasing. He nodded. "Thank you for telling me. I look forward to seeing you flourish with Hanoen by your side. It will not let you down." It was hardly some family reunion, the other two blades were kept in his dorm room, but he did keep one with him at all times. He reached into one of the pockets of his coat and brought out the tanto. "This is Need." he said as he set it down. "The eldest. She has done all I've asked of her and more." He looked at Honda. "You've got a good blade, use it wisely. No weapon can be better than its wielder."

--------------------
PMEmail
^
Alida
 Posted: Nov 15 2017, 03:33 PM

Platinum Poster

He wouldn't be able to see it but her toes curled a little in nervousness. Mika said she was going to name the knife in some fashion back at the dorms. It took her awhile to really come up with something, let alone be able to keep it on top of that. The visit back home during the summer and having to explain her activities of late as being akin to being grounded. If the knife was taken away to put up into display at home, Mika would feel deeply embarrassed to even continue associating with Kire.

Her hands pressed into her lap while staring at the mast craftsman's face. His off relief and then words of thanks had her relax a little. "I did intend for this as future mission assignments may not be so coincidental as they were prior." She spoke frankly. He soon drew Need and set it down near Honoen. The two were designed so differently that it was something to see about the differences of Kire's state of mind and goal.

She nodded as though taking more of his words to heart and retrieved her blade, accomplishing what she wished to do. "I will do just that." Mika spoke frankly, picking up Honoen and bowing formally to Kire. "I shall leave you to your break then. Pray your skills find further recognition in the talent there is to make people recognize that which was made by your hands." Mika did hope that Kire's style would be noted but found oddly little surprising that Kire wasn't busy with his forge than usual. If swords were like designer clothes, maybe wishing him well this way would assist in Kire's path of recognition. She gathered up her things and made her way back into the main club building to reassess the club dismissal paperwork.

-exit thread-

--------------------

PM
^
Aideen
 Posted: Nov 15 2017, 08:56 PM

Story Teller

Kire smiled. It sounded like she would be taking good care of the blade, of Honoen. It would be an interesting future for them and he was mildly put off by the fact that he might never know it. But that was all par for the course for being a creator, especially if you weren't omnipotent or whatever. The children would go off and maybe you'd get periodic updates. He'd just have to wait and see and face an uncertain future.

"Well Honda, good luck to you. Take good care of them and yourself." He picked up Need and slid her back into his pocket. She could tell the others when they got home tonight. "And thank you. I'm sure that sometime there will come a challenge that catches my interest." Hopefully something foreign that he could really sink his teeth into and devote his mind towards. After all, Japan had the best katanas but as Honoen had taught him, other countries could do some pretty neat things with a blade. Somewhere in the muddied mental pool of weapons and genius were the kernels of brilliance and, if he could just pluck them out, surely he could create the greatest weapon never before seen.

He patted Need in his jacket and leaned back again to stare at the sky. The future was going to be so very bright. Good thing he was wearing his shades. He laughed and crossed one leg over the other. Back to relaxing and denying the lesser chores in life.

--------------------
PMEmail
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Closed
New Poll

skin by bonbon.
Affiliates [ View All | Link-us ]
Summers Past Wicked Wonderland Rpg-Directory Panda Directory Below The Sun Distant Fantasies Stranger Than Fiction Seicho No Hana World of Remnant Avalon Fairy Tail Guild .hack//infinity PANDORA'S ASCENSION FORCED HEROES UNBOUND Black Static HEART SIGH Pandora Sedition Persona: Shallow Colour Bleach Platinum Hearts PAINTING UNDER THE FLAMES Tales of Hyrule RWBY-AU Those Among Us Starfall Together We Fall fate/breaking chains misfts! Chaos Theory Rise of the Believers Valar Dohaeris Love Hina Generation This Too Shall Pass Reach For The Stars Terrasphere Stay Chroniques de la Dynastie le Roi Soleil Piori Incantatem Renascence Apotheosis STARSTRUKK Alohomora Infamy Indigo Plateau Stroke of Luck Valar Dohaeris kaleidoscope Blackballad Megalomania Catch-22 Naruto: Shinobi Stories Break The Wheel