Sengoku Horizon

Look towards the Horizon

The Warring States Period: Fierce warlords fought for control of Japan, and many would perish. When a warrior falls, where does the passion they once held go? Possibly into something dear such as a favorite weapon or heirloom. These heirlooms have been labeled as “relics”, and those that carry them are labeled as “Scions." Recently more and more of these special relics have been activating, signaling the start of a great change as ancient power meets the modern world!

Now For The Local News, 06/01/2018 The Chinese delegation have now arrived at the city of Edo. Making friends and learning about Edo Culture is their current aim! In other news it is also time for the school dance event! Please bring your characters along!

Search the Site Announcements Guide Book Rules Quick Start Guide Character Creation Plotting Section Open Threads Missions Shop Chat Area Advertising

Pages: (2) 1 2  ( Go to first unread post )
Closed
New Poll

Bosom Buddies (Junko)
Suzu
 Posted: Jan 23 2018, 07:10 AM

Elite Member

Group: Admin
Member No.: 10

Awards: None

Already the day had been an unconventional one for Shinsuke Todo, and it was barely into the afternoon. For some reason his sister had insisted that this was the appropriate day to insist on some sibling bonding time. Specifically time for sisterly bonding, meaning that she really wanted to spend time with "Mikoto", aka "Todo-chan". Even though she'd been raring to go moments after calling, he'd at least made her wait until he could get the makeup done right. Though it was less awesome for his masculinity it was nice that he hadn't yet developed the ability to grow facial hair. Less to cover up for times like this.

Their day morning had been a bit of a whirlwind with Inori, ranging from some shopping for basics to asking for recommendations for shampoos. And makeup. Since Inori never had shown an interest in cosmetics previously he'd been very curious. Before he could get a satisfactory answer his sister had taken him into an arcade where they played a few rhythm games. Then some purikura and ice cream before he talked her out of wasting yen on a UFO catcher. They were rigged, so all it was was wasting coin that could buy actual stuff. And then she'd done it anyway and somehow won not one but two small plush foxes. One was given to her 'sister' as a thanks for a fun morning, and then they'd headed back to the school.

It was after stepping off the train the elder Todo had checked his phone to see that someone had been trying to contact him. Not just that but frantically trying to get a hold of him. Odd that. Seeing that there were over a dozen messages and voicemails, he checked who'd sent them. As soon as he saw that it was Junko, he wasted no time in rushing back to the dorms with only a parting farewell to his sister. If something was troubling his friend this much he wasn't about to delay any longer. He'd not thought to check his phone earlier since he didn't get that many messages and the arcade had been really quite noisy.

Without a second thought as to his look - the girls' uniform again, his hair down with subtle makeup on his face - Todo-chan went into the boys' dorm. Despite drawing an odd look from one or two guys in the lounge area, Todo-chan was up the stairs and at Junko's dorm door in record time. A little winded, they still knocked on the door gently so as not to startle Junko too much. Already troubled if the amount of messages was any indication; further upsetting the situation wouldn't be helpful at all.

"Jun-kun, are you there? I got a bit worried about you.. can we talk?" Todo-chan called through the door.

--------------------
PM
^
Aideen
 Posted: Jan 23 2018, 12:19 PM

Elite Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 77

Well she'd gotten some help from the guy in the main hall but now, left alone to stew, the panic was rising again for Junko. Part of it was sitting on her desk in the dorm room and being in the same room as it was like being in a room with a ticking bomb. Why did everything have to come to a head right now? She needed like several weeks to recover from each individual horrific setback, or a few days at least. There was a knock at the door, she looked out and saw Todo-chan. Thank any god who was listening.

Junko opened the door grabbed Todo-chan by the call her and dragged her in before slamming the door shut again. The room was a mess. That was putting it kindly. Everything was strewn about, male clothes lay all over the floor, the boxes that had not been taken were now all over the bed and Junko's female clothing was laid out. Speaking of female clothes, Junko was wearing a low cut grey blouse tucked into a deep blue waist high skirt that stopped just above the ankles, revealing that Junko was also wearing, at the very least, knee socks.

The long wig of Junko's hair was carefully draped over one bedpost and, if she looked closely, Todo might be able to see the strap of the bow quiver peeking out from beneath the bed as well as a few extra bow strings. The only part of the room that appeared not to be affected by a hurricane was the desk which had the open letter laying on it, an old bowstring, and a long white ribbon. Next to it, in a bit of disarray and looking like a bit of twine had been pulled from it, was Junko's scarf she had always wore since shortly after coming to the school.

"Todo-chan." Junko wailed and hugged the other girl tightly. "I screwed up today." She didn't ask where Todo had been or why she didn't answer the phone. At least, not yet. Junko wasn't so selfish as to demand that she get attention when she needed it, she was just glad that somebody had finally answered and come to help. "And now everything is going bad and today is the worst day I've had since Hachi died." She squeezed Todo-chan even harder and fought back the tears threatening to stream down her face.

She'd also switched to referring to herself entirely with feminine pronouns. A trait that happened accidentally, Todo-chan might have noticed in their time together, usually when Junko was distracted or excited. It had improved and happened less and less over time but this was certainly deliberate.

--------------------
user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image
PMEmail
^
Suzu
 Posted: Jan 27 2018, 07:54 AM

Elite Member

Instantly there was an entire hurricane of emotion to take in which Todo-chan hadn't really been expecting. Perhaps he should've guessed something really earth shaking was up considering the sheer volume of messages and calls. What played out in front of them was a chaotic upheaval of basically the entire room. Clothes and random belongings had been tossed about for some reason, but they weren't the chief concern of the Todo heir. All that mattered was getting to the bottom of what had caused the distress which had happened to the room. It wasn't normal to see Junko without his scarf, and that ribbon and letter seemed to suggest something was really serious. In the past the topic of Junko's relic had come up, and the ribbon was connected if Todo-chan was remembering right.

Without much warning Junko was embracing Todo-chan before they had time to take in any body language. Something was indeed up since Junko was in girls' clothes for the first time that Todo-chan had seen. Use of feminine pronouns was uncommon for someone who wanted to be a manly man as well. All of this boiled down to something to do with that overbearing mother that Junko had brought up. At least it seemed a safe assumption. With that in mind and a sad, scared Junko in their arms, Todo-chan did the only thing that seemed like it might help. Elder sibling instincts kicked in and Todo-chan tightly hugged Junko back, gently patting her on the back.

"Jun-kun, it's okay.. I'm here, and I'm going to help. Whatever's going on, I'll do anything if it helps you smile," came the promise, "Now first thing's first.. let's just take a few calm breaths. It's simple.. let's try. Inhale.... exhale..." Todo-chan would continue the process a few times, hoping it would help Junko feel a little more grounded.

After that Todo-chan pulled back a little and mentioned, "I haven't seen you like this before.. but don't worry, I'll be your big sister today. And big br.. sisters.. look out for the people they care about. So count on me."

With that said, they offered, "We can talk whenever you're ready, okay?"

--------------------
PM
^
Aideen
 Posted: Jan 27 2018, 08:43 AM

Elite Member

Todo-chan was here, she was supporting Junko, everything would get better. Even if now was a whirligig vortex of chaos and emotions, at least she had this one pillar of strength to hold on to right now." Junko slowly breathed in and then out. Following the soothing words that her friend spoke. Junko thought she had it under control until Todo-chan pulled away and said she would be her big sister. Rather than removing the negative, this little bit of happiness just added to and bubbled over. "Big sister." Junko wailed and hugged Todo-chan.

It was a few minutes before Junko was able to speak properly, and even then, her voice was quavering. In the end, it had been easier to move to sit on the edge of the bed than remain upright. "I had umm. I had a lot of stuff happen to me." She finally began and took a deep breath and exhaled it slowly. She was trying to remain calm. The guy earlier had reminded her to go chunks at a time. If it was all at once, it would overwhelm you.

She clutched her hands to her chest tightly and leaned forward. "FIrst was that I got a letter when I checked my box this morning. It was from home and my mother." Junko sniffed, fighting back another panic attack. "She's coming to visit." That was the biggest thing of all if not the thing that was torturing her mind the most. Her mother coming to the school was difficult for so many reasons. Not the least of which was Junko trying to be a boy and doing archery instead of dance. Neither of which, her mother knew about.

"Then I got called to the headmaster's office during class. I didn't know what was going to happen, I thought my mom was already here and taking me home." Her fists were clenched so tight as to be white. "But I actually got a reply from my letter to the shogun only..." She swallowed. "It wasn't the Shogun, it was the Metsuke calling me to the castle soon." She'd tried to be polite but the main crux of the letter had been that the Metsuke weren't doing a good enough job at the forest.

"Then After school I went to the supplemental archery club meeting to relax and you know I've been training Hiro?" It had come up in conversation about the club occasionally and been offered in the club to people in the artillery track who were willing to give up more of their afternoons. A few months back, a batch of new students had arrived and all the more accomplished students had taken one to show the ropes, as it were. Junko was still a first year but she had grown up with a bow so she was chosen to help the least experienced members and do a bit of extra training besides.

"After practice ended, he asked if we could talk about something so I followed him and then..." Junko took another deep breath. "He confessed to me. Said all kinds of things and then asked me out with him." Junko shook her head vigorously. "I tried to explain that I was a boy but he said it didn't matter. I didn't know what to say, I panicked." Junko turned tearful eyes to Todo-chan. "I ran away."

--------------------
PMEmail
^
Suzu
 Posted: Jan 30 2018, 07:11 AM

Elite Member

Just as Todo-chan had assumed from all the evidence, there was a lot going on for their friend. They'd return the friendly hug as long as it took the Matsudaira student to calm those nerves. Patience helped things get better simply by granting a person time to slow down panicked thoughts. Things like this weren't the sort of thing you would want to be quick on the draw for. It took time to sort through troubled feelings resulting from difficult situations. Eventually Junko was of mind to explain what had led to her current emotional state.

As expected it had something to do with that invasive mother, perhaps even more than the simple notion of a visit denoted. Attempting to redefine yourself once out in the world on your own was no simple undertaking. Some things were so ingrained in your thinking that you didn't have an easy time getting past them. The fear of a resurgence of the past you wished to escape would always loom - Todo-chan sometimes worried that they'd fall back into misery over the loss of a sister. Or lose their whole identity, stuck between Todo-chan and Shinsuke. So they could understand to some degree how Junko must feel to have mom visiting after going to great lengths to show himself to be a man.

As Junko continued to tell her story, Todo-chan just sat and nodded. There were already gears working in the Todo student's head on solutions, but it wasn't time to offer suggestions yet. Best to let Junko get everything out before attempting to tackle one part of it. There might be some other information that would make a different approach more suitable. The poor kid from Hokkaido sure had a lot of stress thrown at her at once. An impending visit to the shogun's castle, mother visiting and then.. a boy confessing to Junko. Some kid from the archery club had taken a shine to whom he thought was a girl, which was another blow to the male confidence for Junko.

The situation hadn't been handled terribly well either. Junko ran away because she hadn't known how to deal with the situation. Who would? Todo-chan looked into Junko's tearful eyes, sighed a little and then pulled Junko into another hug. Time for elder sibling techniques again. They held the hug for a long time before slowly pulling back and then smiling in a way meant to be reassuring. A lot of problems there might have been, but they could parcel this all out.

"That's definitely a lot of stress to have to deal with. It can get really overwhelming when everything gets thrown at you all at once like this.. so let's take this step by step. Do you think you'll be okay if we do it that way?" Todo-chan asked before giving Junko a pat on the shoulder, "So let's start with Hiro-kun. Matters of the heart are tough.. and it's hard when you don't want to hurt somebody, but you also need to be firm enough to make a point. I've.. dealt with this kind of thing before.. and not dealt with it well. Take this as someone with experience. I'd start by letting him know you value him as a friend, but tell him you don't feel that way. And that you're not interested in boys that way. If he's listening, that should help."

Todo-chan paused, "Anything else about that situation? I've got some ideas that might help with your mom and the metsuke, but we should clear one thing up at a time."

--------------------
PM
^
Aideen
 Posted: Jan 30 2018, 09:05 PM

Elite Member

Junko's hands were tightened into fists, her knuckles white. This was all weighing very heavily on her spirit but at least she had Todo-chan there now. The other girl was falling into the role of Big sister that Junko had never had, or might have had if fate had been a little less cruel to her family. She leaned into her friend when Todo-chan pulled her in for another hug. "Y-yeah." Junko answered, step by step was definitely the best way.

Junko was not surprised that Todo-chan had dealt with this kind of thing before. She was very cute, actually, Shin was also very good looking and there was the whole clan relation thing too. It only made sense that people had approached them romantically before. Though it was kind of a surprise that she'd not dealt with it well either. Junko kind of considered Todo-chan to be a more wisened and worldly sort than she. Todo-chan had, it was assumed, grown up in a more social environment and with more influence from the clan. But maybe it was wrong to expect her to have all the answers Junko needed.

"I guess, I mean, I don't feel that way about him. I don't know him." Junko was starting to wring her hands together nervously. "He's new and stuff and I was just trying to help him practice his bow and stuff, I wasn't trying to make him like me. I mean, I was but not like that." She hung her head low. "But what if I do like boys that way?" She said softly. There is was, that little doubt. He'd confessed to her and her heart had skipped a beat. Not because it was him, Junko was very sure of that, but because somebody had confessed to her.

Junko turned her gaze back to Todo-chan. "I was trying to be a boy, I mean, a man. I shouldn't like boys. I should like girls." That was sensible, that was how it ought to be. But maybe it wasn't true. "I don't understand." She'd been trying so very hard to project the masculine persona. It had not always been successful but she'd tried. Her friends had grown to consist of a lot of boys and girls. At no real point had she considered romance, or falling in love with anyone from either group. She had enough trouble just managing her own life without adding in another person as demonstrated by the letter's effects and the summons'.

"But how am I supposed to know which one I like? I don't even know what I'm supposed to be." Tears were starting to trickle down her cheeks again. "I miss Hachi. He always knew how to help me figure stuff out." Her mother, trapping, skinning, being lost in the forest. Hachi had always knew what to say.

--------------------
PMEmail
^
Suzu
 Posted: Feb 3 2018, 09:09 AM

Elite Member

Shinsuke Todo wasn't a stranger to school romances, given his past as a somewhat notorious first year. Even into his first terms as a Second Year student he'd been unable to fight the urge to flirt with cute girls. Once he was out of school he would be pressured to find a girl to court and possibly marry down the road. For a long time his philosophy had been to simply have fun and cast a wide net to see what he got. It'd resulted in a number of dates but nothing that lasted beyond the second. Either he moved on or she had, or even a mutual loss of interest in a relationship. So confessions were something that Todo-chan knew a bit about, as was questioning one's identity as Junko seemed to be doing now.

"Jun-kun, I'm going to just be direct about this," Todo-chan informed her friend, sliding over and giving Junko's hands a pat, "It doesn't matter what other people expect you to be. They can have all kinds of ideas for themselves of what you ought to be. But the only person who can decide who and what you are is you. Only you can figure that out.. and it might take a while to figure it out too. If you like boys that way, that's who you are, and it doesn't mean you can't also be manly."

Todo-chan actually blushed a little as she related, "I've been having a hard time with whether I ought to be a boy or a girl. Being a girl meant I wasn't the same person who might have failed people. But it also meant denying part of who I was.. I'm still not totally sure, but I do know that I'm both Shinsuke and Todo-chan. Does that make any sense?" She certainly hoped that it would help even a little bit. After that she added, "As far as this sort of romance thing goes, confessions and things not working out happen all the time. Maybe the two people end up not working out. Maybe one of them isn't interested in the other. I guess the best advice I can give is just let him down gently since you don't like him that way. He'll probably be happy that you're honest with him.."

As Junko started crying again, Todo-chan immediately seized her in a hug. One tight enough to let her know it was okay and someone was there with her. After just holding it a while, Todo-chan finally spoke up, "I still don't know what I'm supposed to be either, Jun-kun. Maybe we need to figure it out together." There was another pause before Todo-chan went on, "I'll help you out as much as you need with this stuff.. I've started figuring a few things out about it, but it's still hard. If you're okay with me still figuring a few things out myself, I want to help you work through this."

--------------------
PM
^
Aideen
 Posted: Feb 3 2018, 02:22 PM

Elite Member

"I know what you're saying, but I don't know if I 'know' it." She sighed. "My mom wants me to be one thing, my godfather wanted me to be something, the clan wants me to be something, even the school and shogun want me a specific way. I don't want to let them down." It was all so big and oppressive. She was getting closer to that fork in the road where she had to choose one option or the other and that was scary because there was no way back or undo button to press.

But Todo-chan knew how she felt. Her more than any of Junko's other friends. Sure, there were differences but it all came down to discovering who they were and making peace with it. Junko could count on her, they were allies. "I'm sorry to force you to think like that too." Junko hugged her friend tightly. "You're the same person though, both of you. That person is my best friend and there's nobody I'd rather be with than you right now."

It was a heartfelt declaration of strong emotion even past all the hiccoughs and tears. "You're right. I should be honest. He deserves that, I just hope he doesn't hate me because of it." She fought back the rivers of water threatening to spill out, it might be hard on her own but there were two of them now and the world better watch out. Nothing was going to be able to stand against them. At least, nothing that wasn't a lot bigger than the two of them. Speaking of which...

"What am I going to do about the summons to the castle?" It was a difficult thing. She'd been working on the proposal for what felt like years though it wasn't quite a full one yet. Since before the invasion certainly. Occasionally Junko had tapped Shin's knowledge of clan bureaucracy and honor to write the perfect missive. It finally was sent out a few weeks ago and Junko had heard nothing for so long.

"I've only worked out how things should go while written down. I can go back and make changes to written stuff, I can't erase words in real life." That would be such a good artifact to have, something to undo verbal faux pas. "And it's gonna be while my mother is here." She'd have to dress up which meant all the ceremonial clothes, the most formal things, and it'd all be for a girl. There was no other option. Junko was definitely not ready to be a boy against her mother's direct wishes. Far away from her, that was a lot easier.

"And I'm not ready to talk about my mother's visit yet. I'm gonna need a bit more time for that one." Junko added quickly. Push the problems away, that was easier. Deal with them one at a time, even if they did overlap and become bigger problems. If she didn't, Junko was bound to choke on it all.

--------------------
PMEmail
^
Suzu
 Posted: Feb 7 2018, 07:51 AM

Elite Member

Expectations of others could be crippling for a young person in Japan. When you were of the ruling class there were already certain expectations of behavior and such inherent in the status. Each additional detail of circumstances beyond your control added to a predefined idea of who you ought to be before you even had a chance to examine for yourself. Shinsuke had it fairly easy since he more or less fit his family's expectations for the heir. They didn't know about Todo-chan beyond Inori and Aunt Suzume though. He couldn't imagine how hard it must be for someone who was desperately trying to find the breathing space to explore their identity though. Junko had it rough.. but that's what a big sister was for.

"Whatever happens with him I promise I'll be here to back you up. We're in similar situations, too, so don't think you're forcing me to do anything. You're my friend, Jun-kun, and friends do whatever they can to help each other when one of them is in trouble," Todo-chan promised, a little surprised by how strongly she made her own declaration. It was an intense outburst of emotion but she had definitely meant every word.

It seemed like the confession was less of a concern for Junko after their talk, which was reassuring. One down, two to go. Granted the remaining two were the more difficult ones to resolve on their own, but Todo-chan was going to give it a try. Negotiating an agreement between two long-hostile clans was something she'd been trained to do. As in that circumstance you had to start with small, achievable goals and build from there. She hadn't been to the Shogun's court himself but his father had; based on what she'd heard from him, there was at least a chance to make this better for Junko.

"A clan standing alone against the tides of fate is in danger, but allies can turn those tides to the advantage," Todo-chan stated matter of factly while patting Junko on the shoulder, "That's what my father told me about our duty as diplomats anyhow. I think it applies here too, in a way. You are not alone against everything that's being thrown at you, Jun-kun. Maybe you've gotten a summons to the Shogun's court.. and maybe your mother is visiting.. but you have an advantage fate didn't expect."

Todo-chan straightened a lock of hair and smiled, "A Todo, ready to take every step forward with you, and unwilling to let you take a step back. We can't undo the fact that these things are happening at the same time.. but we can work together to make them work out better for you. I'm guessing that because your mother is in Edo at the time you're going to the court, you'll have to be Junko-chan rather than Jun-kun, right? Well then.. Todo-chan will accompany you, at least as far as it's allowed. And I will coach you on how a young person ought to behave in the Shogun's court!"

She let out a haughty noble's laugh that quickly turned into an awkward chuckle, "Sorry about that, I get carried away.. but still, I'll do whatever I can to make sure you're ready. And your mother might be more pleasant if she believes that you are in the company of another young lady she deems a 'proper' one, right? I'm willing to be pretty for as long as she's in town."

--------------------
PM
^
Aideen
 Posted: Feb 8 2018, 05:49 AM

Elite Member

She smiled, Todo-chan was already making her feel better about everything that was coming, but maybe there were a few things her friend needed to alter. "Umm, Jun-chan would be better, or Ko-chan maybe? I'm not really of two minds about who I am but it's easier to treat you and Shin differently so I don't make any mistakes and offend you or upset you in some way. A mistake in front of my mother could be almost as bad as coming out to her in the first place. And coming out was not something Junko was ready for.

"Thank you so much, Todo-chan. You're the absolute best." Maybe together they would have that edge that Junko needed to take on her mother and the shogun and anything else. Though she did feel kind of bad that she wasn't doing anything for Todo-chan. Well, she'd make it up to the other girl, no doubt about it. Junko wasn't exactly sure how just yet but she would find a way and it would be awesome and memorable and totally worthy of the name Matsudaira.

But that said, "I can't ask you to do that. I mean, My mom's gonna be here for weeks which is like an eternity. And with all the other big stuff coming up, the rest of Japan may need Shin-kun more than Todo-chan." She smiled and wiped her face. "But I definitely will keep you updated if I need some support or a second person around with mother." She'd lived with her mother all her life, probably she could handle it alone, but why take chances? The real worry was if something went wrong and her mother discovered any of the lies that Junko had told, then she could really use somebody standing at her side or just behind to prop her up and give Junko the strength to stand up for herself.

Considering the magnitude of those lies, well, it might take a good deal of propping. "I could definitely use some extra coaching on how to act in court, mother's training only went so far as being a silent observer and background during high functions. She thinks I'm in Dance right now." Junko sighed wearily. "I have so many secrets from her." But she forced herself to perk right up. "But that shall be dealt with one at a time. And you're a diplomat which is basically a very noble position for someone part of a clan and it's not improper for a lady to be a diplomat either. Mother can't object to you as my friend."

Junko nodded to herself. There'd have to be changes of course. Maybe a fake armband for the uniform to hide her actual class that she could wear with her mother, or, actually a better idea would be if she kept her mother off campus entirely. That would be a lot better, her mother didn't like the school to start with so it wasn't entirely impossible. Heck, an undecided band would be some cover if the other students saw. She was still a first year after all. The biggest and first hurdle though, was her hair. "Todo-chan, what should I do about my hair? I have the wig but I think my hair now is a bit too long and shaggy for it. But I can't let mom see it like this or she'll be so angry."

--------------------
PMEmail
^
Suzu
 Posted: Feb 15 2018, 07:12 AM

Elite Member

One thing at a time. Working through Junko's sea of problems was going to take that approach hand in hand with a lot of patience. Just working out appropriate steps right now would only do so much to resolve them. An opponent as formidable as Junko's mother was probably going to require a fair amount of adjusting on the fly. It'd be hard to explain Shinsuke's absence from everyday school life, but it was a sacrifice worth making to keep Todo-chan available for his friend. Inori could probably help too.. though she'd be less useful in social situations with a tradition-minded mother.

"Then Ko-chan it is," Todo-chan agreed, deciding on names being the second thing to be resolved, "And I guess that Todo-chan might be a odd if I'm calling you by your name. How about this: when we're like this you can call me Miko-chan or Mi-chan. It's short for Mikoto, which is the name I sort of came up with for this identity a long time ago. My sister still calls me that when I'm like this too, so it's something that I'm used to. If I'm going to be around your mom I don't want to slip up any either. So I'd like to get really, really used to that name myself."

Getting a smile out of Junko had been a nice change of pace and a sign that the approach was working. One thing at a time. Todo Mikoto smiled back and assured her friend, "Don't you worry, Ko-chan, when we're through with the coaching you'll be the fairest and most graceful maiden to ever grace the Shogun's court. And then when you mother's gone back home we can do some incredibly manly stuff if you'd like. Maybe a weekend hike in the mountains with only our wits to guide us! Or something.. at any rate don't worry about my other responsibilities. It's a promise from a Todo that you will get all the support you need during these weeks. And beyond. I have a secret technique that will let me shift between Shinsuke and Mikoto, so it's all fine."

After stroking her chin for a few moments in thought, Todo-chan also had a bit of a solution to the other issues brewing. Basically it boiled down to maintaining the sort of image that Junko's mother wished to see. A young lady enrolled in proper dance classes rather than a young man who enjoyed hunting. So what they needed was a disguise with alterations to the uniform to maintain the 'proper' identity for the Lady's purposes. Shouldn't be too hard, and that was something that Inori could pitch in with. As for the hair? That was another matter.

"I think your uniform situation is fixed easily enough," Todo-chan remarked at last, glancing at Junko's hair before continuing, "Now with that hair, there are some options.. first we could just trim it own again so the wig fits better. Or we could style what you have to be more feminine just in case... it depends on what you think would be better for your mother. I'm sure we can track down someone involved in theater who has ideas of how to work with hair-based disguises. Maybe if we clip the stray bits up in a certain way it'll fit under the wig better.. "

Then Todo-chan looked right into Junko's eyes, smiled softly and added, "But whatever your mom thinks, I think you look lovely how you are.." It might do to reassure Junko that she looked okay, even though she had shaggy hair and the overlord mother visiting soon.

--------------------
PM
^
Aideen
 Posted: Feb 17 2018, 05:26 PM

Elite Member

"Mi-ko-to." Junko said it once slowly and then nodded. "Mi-chan, that's super cute. It really suits you." She took a deep breath and got to her feet. "Ok, I think I'm ready to deal with this. Maybe." She still had no idea how she was going to deal with that whole confession thing. The truth was good but the truth was just so complicated, especially if she was going to switch to the girl's uniform again right after. Well, you couldn't run from your problems forever, so that would probably be the very first thing on Junko's list of things tomorrow.

"It's going to be weird, I know how I'm supposed to act around people, like, how a noble type woman is supposed to act around others but that's just like for tea or keeping quiet while mother discussed business or whatever." She walked to her desk and picked up the long ancient bowstring. The world flashed back to some clarity as Junko's vision expanded to see the life of everyone around her. "But it was all good daughters stay out of the limelight and avoid notice. I want to get noticed. I want them to see me and not be able to say no." She clasped her artifact to her strength.

"Heibei-sama, give me strength." She whispered. She would need any help that she could get for that meeting which was a hard combination mostly at odds with her desire to prove she could handle it on her own. "Yeah, the uniform is super easy." She set the bow string back down on the desk and turned around, leaning back against the edge. "Yeah, uniforms are easy, I can probably get my hands on a proper girl's uniform if I need to, adjustments are easy to make as well. I'm kind of worried that I'd get in trouble if I wore the wrong armband though." She tapped her fingers on the desk with one hand.

The other hand came up and primped her hair up. "I kind of like my hair. I'm all rough and rugged," at least, that's what Junko thought it looked like, "but maybe a small style won't be so bad." The wig was a tricky subject. "What if, like, maybe I start with the wig on the first day or two and, if she's not too bothered by it, I can go without the wig and just rely on the styling." She smiled at her best friend and pushed forward off the desk and took several steps closer. "Thank you, Mi-chan." Junko placed her arms around her friend and hugged her tight. "I appreciate everything you've done for me. I was blessed to meet you when I first arrived."

--------------------
PMEmail
^
Suzu
 Posted: Feb 22 2018, 07:37 AM

Elite Member

Todo-chan took solace in the fact that Junko did seem to be slowly gaining a little bit of confidence. There wasn't the same panic in her voice as had been present a few minutes before. Of course there were many challenges yet to come, and talking about resolutions was different from actually doing the resolving. Still it was a first step in the right direction - you couldn't take the first step toward resolution without an idea where that first step should land. What gaps were there between the step of gaining confidence and putting plans into action they'd fill in together.

"It's always weird the first time you break out of what you're used to doing. Without giving you a lecture right now, dealing with a formal court isn't too different from a formal business meeting or tea. Always be deferential to those above you, even if you disagree with them. You can bring up your opinions once you've established a polite rapport," Todo-chan suggested once Junko had had time to collect her thoughts, "I'll coach you on word choices that will help make you sound respectful even in disagreement. Combine those with grace and politeness, as well as dressing appropriately for the occasion and you'll be okay."

The hair was going to be another problem, but it couldn't be addressed any further immediately because of what happened next. After thanking Todo-chan for their friendship Junko pulled them together in a hug. It was a little unexpected since Todo-chan's mind had been on ways to resolve the hair issue. For a moment she stood there awkwardly in that surprise before putting her arms around Junko and returning the embrace. It felt natural in this persona to exchange hugs as a sign of friendship and trust. As Shinsuke he probably would have felt a bit awkward or anxious about such a display; Todo-chan had no such hangups.

"You're welcome, Ko-chan. Don't forget, you've done a lot for me too. Not too many people would understand my situation and be willing to help me explore all of it. That means a lot more to me than you can imagine.." Todo-chan replied, giving her friend a pat on the back, "And I'll help with styling your shorter hair too. We can save you some money that way too! I've gotten a lot more practice since I got this haircut, so I think I can do it."

After the hug ended, Todo-chan kept a hand on Junko's shoulder, "I know it's still scary thinking about all the things that are coming, but we'll take care of them. You're stronger than you think, and I'm sure you'll come through all of this just fine. Also.. um.. Inori would like to hang out with you more when you have time. She's got a whole list of restaurants to try with Jun-kun. We could all go together if you'd prefer too!"

--------------------
PM
^
Aideen
 Posted: Feb 24 2018, 08:06 AM

Elite Member

"You're the best, Mi-chan. But don't worry about the money side of things. I bet if I told my mother that I'd like a bit of extra money to get my hair styled with a few girlfriends in advance of the celebration she'd totally pay for it all. It'll be just like the day we met." She beamed at her friend. "We could invite Inori and a few others. We can make a whole day of it. It'll be packed because everyone's getting ready for the new year stuff but I'm sure a few places still have openings this early."

Junko pulled back and went back to her desk. "I'm worried about the meeting, I get all about the basic stuff, like being polite and staying quiet and letting the grown ups talk." She made a face, sticking her tongue out. "Mother was very insistent I learned how to behave properly when I wasn't out running wild like a savage with my godfather." Junko smiled at the thought. "But this isn't some tea ceremony or marriage meeting or any of that. I have to go to one of the highest authorities in the land and tell him he's doing stuff wrong."

Junko pulled out the chair and sat in it, facing Mi-chan. She picked up the bow string and began running her hands along it nervously. Having it close to her, seeing the world this way again, it made her feel a little more in control, a little more ready for anything that might come at her. "Like, I studied a bunch on how to write it and I knew at some point I'd have to actually talk to somebody, but I hoped that I'd get away with written correspondence for ninety percent of the job."

Her smile was a little embarrassed. "Guess I'm just an optimist to the core." She sighed. "But he is wrong, things need to change, but if it was the shogun I was talking to, I could at least talk about the main points and sound critical without personally insulting. But the head of the Metsuke? They're the ones who aren't doing the job properly." She shook her head. "I'm gonna need so much help."

--------------------
PMEmail
^
Suzu
 Posted: Mar 2 2018, 08:05 AM

Elite Member

"There are some things even an imperious mother can't prepare you for when it comes to courtly behavior. She taught you how to be the pretty face that sits off to the side and tends to guests. Now, my dear Ko-chan, comes the more difficult but rewarding task. You'll need to learn how a lady accounts for herself in a dignified and confident manner," Mikoto replied, standing before her friend and walking back and forth as she thought out the explanation, "I would assume that those in power saw some merit or thing of interest in your written words. Otherwise it would have been far easier to simply have someone pay a visit to the school or have the headmaster deal with the situation. This makes it more intriguing but hard to plan appropriately for. However!"

She stopped her movement with a sudden motion, spinning to point at Junko dramatically, "That doesn't change the fact that words are just as, if not more, important here than writing a letter. That letter caught their attention, but explaining your observations and ideas in the appropriate manner will make all the difference. And those are things that require some special training.. training that I will give you!"

Now that they had gotten past the situation seeming too daunting, Mikoto was getting fired up. It was quite encouraging to see that Junko had gone from panicked to a little bit optimistic. That was progress, and a necessary step for them on the road to getting the Matsudaira student prepared for the coming challenges. Realizing it might not be good to keep striking poses like that - such things were a bit too dramatic - Mikoto walked over and put a hand on Junko's.

"It's good to be optimstic. The less we stress about problems in the future the better we're able to tackle them one part a a time," Mikoto explained with an encouraging smile and a pat of the hand, "One thing at a time. I do think your idea of inviting a few other girls along for an outing would be a nice break from all this stress. Inori-chan would love to come, I'm sure, and we can invite along anyone that would help you feel better."

Then Mikoto removed her hand and took a seat on Junko's bed cross legged, "As for dealing with the metuske meeting, like I said I'll train you. Even though most of my training for that level of meeting has been as a boy, I've picked up a few things here and there. Between my know-how and your instincts we'll put together a plan of action that helps you get your message across in the right way. Now.. I've got a lot I can tell you, but is now a good time? We can set up a special lecture time later if you'd prefer."

--------------------
PM
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Pages: (2) 1 2 
Closed
New Poll

skin by bonbon.
Affiliates [ View All | Link-us ]
Summers Past Wicked Wonderland Rpg-Directory Panda Directory Below The Sun Distant Fantasies Seicho No Hana World of Remnant Fairy Tail Guild FORCED HEROES UNBOUND HEART SIGH Pandora Those Among Us Together We Fall fate/breaking chains Chaos Theory Rise of the Believers Valar Dohaeris Love Hina Generation This Too Shall Pass Terrasphere CONFESSIONS Chroniques de la Dynastie le Roi Soleil Piori Incantatem Renascence ALOHOMORA | A NON-CANON HARRY POTTER RP Prismatic Megalomania Catch-22 Break The Wheel BROKEN BONES & DIAL TONES! To Be Unmade: A marvel infinity war rp Celestial Gateway Academy Seito Institute AGE OF KINGS LOREM IPSUM SAVE ME Pokemon Horizons Imagine Fairy Tail Our Heroes and Villains EVENT HORIZON The Duality of Man LOVE TALK AEIPATHY