Sengoku Horizon

Look towards the Horizon

The Warring States Period: Fierce warlords fought for control of Japan, and many would perish. When a warrior falls, where does the passion they once held go? Possibly into something dear such as a favorite weapon or heirloom. These heirlooms have been labeled as “relics”, and those that carry them are labeled as “Scions." Recently more and more of these special relics have been activating, signaling the start of a great change as ancient power meets the modern world!

Now For The Local News, 04/01/2018 The Chinese delegation have now arrived at the city of Edo. They have come to learn more about the state of Japan, the Shogunate, and it's Scions. We will be having a Lunar New Year's celebration, a school dance, and a combat tournament with them!

Search the Site Announcements Guide Book Rules Quick Start Guide Character Creation Plotting Section Open Threads Missions Shop Chat Area Advertising

Add Reply
New Poll

Staying in Rhythm, For LdyWhte. Enjoy!
Shinku Tenshi
 Posted: Apr 15 2018, 12:43 AM

Group: Members
Member No.: 172

Awards: None

If a disruption in your typical style of living occurs, what better way to feel like you're home than continue your style in your new environment, right?

Viola's short time in Edo has allowed her to develop a routine following very closely to her own at home. Her mornings start with preparing for school, a short time for prayers and meditation to prepare her mind, and a small breakfast. Classes were somewhat boring. No surprise there. Even back at home, they weren't interesting at all. She could pay attention to every word the instructor says, but just sitting there and listening seemed like a horrible way to interact with teenagers. She stayed, though, and kept her eyes trained on her sensei to try and retain the information.

After school, she took a small trip to the Shinagawa Ward to perform some training similar to what her mother would have her do. She would run as far as she could to increase her endurance. The track team she was in at her old school, as well as Edo now, gave her what she needed for speed, so it wasn't necessary for any outside training she did. With her school uniform on and tonfa in her hands, she tried as hard as she could to simulate any missions she might take part of to make the act of moving with both easier to her. When the time came for her upcoming mission, she wanted to be ready, and not a disgrace. She put in her earbuds, instructed her phone via touch to start playing her music of choice, and took off.

The roads she ran along all were within close proximity of the ocean. The path she initially chose when she started these runs were done to keep close memories to home, to remind her that she was here to honor her family, to make them proud, and to test herself. With that motivation, she would chase that goal. Viola has the weight of her future job and her own dreams weighing on her. She feels like running and continuing her training will get her one step closer to that goal. It also gives her a bit of time to escape those responsibilities before they set back in and she goes back to Edo, to continue her guard duties and return to her room, where she realizes that it's all real... She is chasing her dreams, but not exactly how she had planned.

Her runs usually ended close to the bus stop to prepare for the trip home, but this time, something told her she needed to slow down a bit and enjoy the view. Viola had already taken time to take the sight of the ocean and scenery in, but today, it seemed a bit more serene and homely. She stopped and observed from a small hill overlooking the beach. The sight of it reminded her of the many trips her family took and of their luck being able to see this as often as they wanted. She began to count her blessings that this school was surrounded by such diverse areas and really gave many people opportunities to enjoy their natural scenery with little hassle.

Viola took a seat on the hill and decided to update her plans slightly. She took her phone and looked at the bus schedule to see the next bus headed for Edo Bugei took off in about an hour. This gave her enough time to engage in some image training before needing to leave and gave time to take in the sights offered. She also contemplated grabbing a snack across the road at the general store, but decided against this in leu of time to continue her training.

She crossed her legs, put her hands clasped together in her lap, and closed her eyes. Almost immediately, her mother appeared before her and the match began.

To those outside looking in, she seems to be slumped over slightly, appearing to possibly be asleep. Her tonfa are laying at her sides, and phone is in her front shirt pocket with the music off, and earbuds out of her ears. She is wearing her Edo uniform, so those who see her know she is a student at the school.

LDYWHTE

--------------------
"Greater love has no one than this, that someone lay down her life for her friends."
Viola Konishi
PMEmail
^
LDYWHTE
 Posted: Apr 18 2018, 09:54 AM

Member No.: 170

A sudden breeze raised where she was laying, bringing alongside some dust and few strands of grass over her.
Perhaps an unexpected change of climate was approaching... or someone else of the Edo Bugei was training as well in the area.

"Whoops! Sorry miss!" A voice yelled from afar, shocked and embarrassed.

"Kay, damnit! Aim better next time!" A male voice followed in the background, clearly aimed at the one who did the mistake.

Their conversation then faded in the ambient,

"Ugh, let's do it again, but this time try to keep your focus and aim at me, not toward any civilian around here." Youri quietly lectured his sister as he arranged his own uniform with a huff before he returned in the zenkutsu-dachi position in front of her.

Kayoko nodded in response to the brother's scold, picking out from her uniform a little handkerchief to dry some sweat off her forehead. Once she was done, she placed it back inside one pocket to wield again both her iron fans.

I hope that it'll be over soon... I am getting already fed up Kayoko thought as she sighed through her nostrils, slowly catching the flow of her Relic to continue her training with her twin brother,

--------------------
The Twin Sotan

Kayoko Sotan
user posted image
"My arm for a pillow,
I really like myself
under the hazy moon
" -Yosa Buson

Youri Sotan
user posted image
"The summer grasses
All that remains
Of brave soldiers dreams
" -Matsuo Basho
PM
^
Shinku Tenshi
 Posted: Apr 18 2018, 11:41 PM

Viola's focus remained on her mother as the wind started to pick up around her. They had been going for what seemed like thirty minutes, exchanging blows and learning what was good and what was not. The training is usually very intense, even down to mimicking her mother's advice, shouting about what was done incorrectly or praising her for doing well.

As the wind howled around Viola, she sensed something was a bit off... there wasn't a storm expected in the area today nor was the wind coming off the sea that strong during her run. She then heard a close thud hit the ground along with a strong gasp and foot steps. Startled, Viola opened her eyes to see an iron fan stuck approximately a meter in front of her in the dirt. A thought of terror initially struck her as she wasn't expecting a weapon to be thrown at her and in panic, grabbed her tonfa ready to engage whomever may be threatening her. Just as soon as she braced herself, a young girl hurried over and apologized profusely, grabbing the fan and darting back toward what she perceived as the training partner, who himself was chastising the girl for being so reckless. Viola wasn't given a chance to reciprocate the apology, but kept her eyes on the two for a moment. The wind had died down as the fan hit earlier and had not gusted back up. She seen this as a bit odd; if the wind wasn't already gusty, but had picked up, then immediately died as this mysterious young girl lost her fan, could that have been the source?

Viola tried dismissing this, but couldn't get it out of her head that her theory could be entirely possible. She watched closely as the two took their stances and began to exchange blows. Sure enough, as the girl danced with her fans, an abnormally strong wind came off of them. Viola was witnessing her first Scion in action. She continued watching in amazement as she continued her dancing and the young man took every advantage he could to catch her off-guard and approach her for an attack.

After a few moments of watching, Viola stood and began carefully approaching the training area for a better view. Every step the girl took had purpose, with only a few wasted movements, in which the boy took advantage of and chastised her for not being more careful. After a few moments of this, both stopped to regroup and review what needed to be worked on. Viola began applauding as they slowed down and came closer to the two.

"That was a beautiful performance from both of you, I'm very impressed." Viola smiled as she stopped and caught the attention of the duo. It was clear the two had some sort of connection she wasn't aware of yet as most sparring partners couldn't respond to each others' movements quite as quickly as they had. Before she thought further, She bowed to each of them and greeted them. "Sorry if I interrupted, but after witnessing your sparring match and our encounter a bit ago, I had to come and meet you. My name is Viola Konishi." She turned to the girl in good spirit and continued. "And no hard feelings on the fan. I'm just glad I wasn't hit."

She gave pause as the duo introduced themselves, hoping that they would appreciate the outside commentary and possibly a sparring partner. Viola loved the idea of being able to do her image training, but to actually spar with a physical opponent provides many more growth opportunities as the praise and mistakes are real. But rather than rush the thought, she simply held her smile and awaited the response from the two.

--------------------
"Greater love has no one than this, that someone lay down her life for her friends."
Viola Konishi
PMEmail
^
LDYWHTE
 Posted: Apr 20 2018, 03:59 AM

Kayoko bowed her bust trice once Viola approached them, saying "sorry" for at least twice the bows.
If wasn't for Youri stopping her frenzy apologies, perhaps she'd have continued for a good minute or more.

"It's fine, miss, as long as you're ok, we are as well." The taller boy said in a reassuring and amused tone with a thumb up at her, the only finger free from the shining brass knuckles.

Then he continued after he squared her carefully. That annoying suit of the Edo Bugei seemed like a persistent curse following his eyes. "I see also that you're a Student of the Edo Bugei, aren't ya?"

--------------------
The Twin Sotan

Kayoko Sotan
user posted image
"My arm for a pillow,
I really like myself
under the hazy moon
" -Yosa Buson

Youri Sotan
user posted image
"The summer grasses
All that remains
Of brave soldiers dreams
" -Matsuo Basho
PM
^
Shinku Tenshi
 Posted: Apr 24 2018, 01:47 AM

Viola gave notice as the girl made a couple of apologetic bows after her introduction as if she were in trouble. It was only after the boy stopped her and commented on her well-being that she stopped. Viola gave a slight giggle, thinking the excessive apologies were cute and a sign of innocence she had longed to see since she arrived. With the notion from the boy, she could tell her hunch was pretty well set; they were indeed siblings.

As he called out with the thumbs up from his knuckles, she let up a small thumbs up of her own to acknowledge she seen it and gave a smile to reciprocate her statement of everything being ok. She noticed afterward he was squaring her up, giving a stern look up and down, like he suddenly grew disgusted. Viola wasn't sure how to take this, thinking she may have pressed a button until he asked her about being a student at Bugei. The way he asked seem to portray he was at odds with the school itself and not her, though she stayed alert in case she had subconsciously made a faux pas.

She glanced over her uniform momentarily, following his eye movements from before, then gave her attention to the boy as she answered.

"Yeah, I've just come into the school only a few weeks ago over spring break. I imagine with your familiarity with the uniform and her abilities, you both are students as well?" She gave a knowing glance to the girl and her fans as if she knew what the answer was already. If the girl's powers were that prominent where Viola's were barely noticeable without force, she knew she had to be a student. And if they were twins, if she went somewhere, the other would surely follow.

Her thoughts were interrupted, however, as she realized she didn't even know their names. Such a silly mistake at home would garner a smack to the back of her head by her mother or father at home for being so rude as to not ask. As a precaution in case they ever found out, she immediately stopped her thoughts and asked the duo about their names.

"I'm sorry if I missed this bit of detail, but may I ask your names?" Viola could mentally relax now and quell the voice of her mother in hear head barking at her, wondering how she could be as rude as to not know the name of the people she was speaking with. In her house, it was common courtesy that if you greeted someone you wished to be friends with, you made your name known to them and at least asked their name in return. Whether they answered or not was upon them, but the effort was all that was needed for the courtesy.

Viola stood with her hands clasped at her waist and a smile on her face, waiting for the duo to respond to the inquiries she made.

--------------------
Viola Konishi
PMEmail
^
LDYWHTE
 Posted: May 3 2018, 09:50 AM

Both nodded at the same time upon her first question.

"But only my sister owns a Relic, I am not a Scion, but I gladly help her to refine her skills even without any 'protections'." Youri said with a little chuckle. In fact he was really with nothing at all than his armed hands and the fighting suit.

Then he placed a hand on his chest and bowed down a little for a formal greeting at her second question over their identities. "My name is Youri Sotan."

"And my name is Kayoko Sotan!" She beamed with a regained joy to be with someone else from the Academy.

The young boy continued the presentations with his hands in his pockets this time, a gesture of relaxation after the previous contrast caused by Kay's mistake, looking at her with a more friendly expression. "And yes, if you were wondering, we are twins. We come from Kyoto, and you?" He inquired back for curiousity to know a bit more of her as well and to don't let die out the conversation yet.

--------------------
The Twin Sotan

Kayoko Sotan
user posted image
"My arm for a pillow,
I really like myself
under the hazy moon
" -Yosa Buson

Youri Sotan
user posted image
"The summer grasses
All that remains
Of brave soldiers dreams
" -Matsuo Basho
PM
^
Shinku Tenshi
 Posted: May 8 2018, 01:22 AM

Viola was on a roll, it seemed like. As she suspected, they were siblings, both went to Edo, and Kayoko was indeed a Scion. This made her feel like she was finally competent with the people in this area to be able to read them and know at least some things about them, even though a few details in this case were obvious.

She respectfully bowed to them as they introduced themselves, and Youri commented with confidence that he was helping his sister hone her skills bare handed. Viola had seen that a few minutes ago as they were training, with him bravely diving into the openings she provided and punishing her for the mistakes. "You're a brave guy. I don't think I could go against a Scion without some sort of help myself." She smiled as she confessed her fear of dealing with powers like her own. The unknown factors of someone else's power, how they used them, what secondary effects it could have, and even paying the ultimate price if you were drastically overwhelmed; Viola was intimidated and scared of facing such opponents, but knew that she would have to eventually as time flew on.

Youri then stated they came from Kyoto and asked where she came from. Kayoko also looked on in curiosity, as to reflect her brother's question at Viola, too. She glanced at both of them and answered without hesitation, "I'm from Amakusa, in the Higo Province." She stopped for a second, audibly exhaled, then decided to continue, looking at Kayoko. "And, like you, Kayoko-san, I'm also a Scion..."

As to prove this point to the two of them in a show of rare confidence, Viola stretched her right arm to aim in between the twins and extended her pointer finger. Her left hand reached for and clasped her necklace as a bright white glow emanated from the end of her finger. She held the pose for a moment, then retracted her arm and finger, the glow disappearing entirely, allowing the sun's light to take over once again. She wanted to fire at something, but the only thing in range would have been the twins or the sand and dirt, neither of which were wise options. That, on top of the painful force used to propel the bullet, dissuaded her advance as she stood down. Her hands back down at her side, Viola finished her initial thought, this time, looking at Youri.

"...Although, my power isn't as obvious unless I go all out." Her expression changed back from the confident look to a now more relaxed and gentle approach like she started the conversation with. She took a moment to check her right hand to reassure herself no damage was done, then her attention came back to Kayoko. Viola was interested in hearing about her powers and learning more about them if she could.

"So is your power based around wind entirely? It seems like an incredibly technique to be able to reach where I was sitting earlier."

She then turned her head to Youri again and added, "And for you, Youri-san, to be able to reach her with her techniques speaks wonders about your abilities, too. Are you proficient in any sort of martial art, or are you self taught?"

Viola felt for a bit like she was looking at two parts of her own self; Youri, the confidence she wanted to show, but didn't want to for fear of judgement on high, and Kayoko, her bubbly side she let out around those she was around her close friends. Comparing them to herself like this allowed her to relate to them more, and made Viola that much more interested in them. She wanted people around her she knew she could get along with, and it seemed like the twins fit that bill pretty well. She paused for a bit as she waited for their replies.

--------------------
Viola Konishi
PMEmail
^
LDYWHTE
 Posted: May 12 2018, 07:09 AM

At the self-taught sentence, he let out a little chuckle and raised a hand to gesture a "midway" therm. "Fifty-fifty, let's say that I had a natural talent shaped by all the times I had to protect my sister Kayoko from bullies. Then I went in a Karate Dojo to refine and train my bare-handed fighting skills. I own no powers, just a tough body, good luck and a hard head." He replied her with a new content chuckle. He liked her respectful and humble behaviour, much more calmer and composed than his sister.
"Thanks for your compliments though, I deeply appreciate that." Said so, his hand returned well comfortable in his empty pocket.

Kayoko instead was all focused and entranced by the previous show of Viola's Scion powers, leaving her in a state of euphory and utter amazement, wondering what would await for herself if the others looked already so powerful with their Relics...

"Oh, oh yes, miss! My powers are mainly focused on wind-based attacks!" She replied with a rush of nods which messed a bit her thin black bangs.
Eventually she calmed down soon after she picked out her own Relic to show it at the fellow Scion, a simple chashaku. It appeared so thin and fragile, yet drenched of a power that "glued" it altogether, vibrating of a serene energy that few like Kayoko were able to feel.

"It's something which always inspired me a sense of purity, like one of the various elements which defined the philosophy of my ancestor, Sen no Rikyu. This is his last artefact made before he died. He gave it a name too..." And she pointed it at the base of the bamboo spoon.
"Namida, Tears. Although the meaning is sad, I always translated it with 'Through the bumps to the stars', and that was the ultimate fate of him. The whole world now loves his philosophy!"

--------------------
The Twin Sotan

Kayoko Sotan
user posted image
"My arm for a pillow,
I really like myself
under the hazy moon
" -Yosa Buson

Youri Sotan
user posted image
"The summer grasses
All that remains
Of brave soldiers dreams
" -Matsuo Basho
PM
^
Shinku Tenshi
 Posted: May 20 2018, 10:52 PM

Viola listened as Youri gave his training history, starting with natural talent, then enhancing it further with guided tutoring. She knew from the start he was a force to be reckoned with, but now contemplated that even those without powers could be scary in their own rights. His confidence in his abilities and raw talent from the beginning of his life showed in every move he made, exactly the reason Viola gave her compliments to begin with; it takes an extraordinary amount of effort to deal with something out of most peoples' leagues.

"It's my pleasure. I'm just pointing out the best qualities in both of you. I have a lot I can learn from you both. She insisted as her smile held, directing the comment to the both of them. She then turned to Youri, with confidence welling up inside her again. She wasn't sure if it was the calm determination he exhibited the whole time, or the similarities in his qualities to her mother's personality, being strong-willed and very aware of her abilities, but she started to feel a connection. She wanted to test his resolve to her mothers and see if the two were aligning in her mind like she believed, but before she got the words out of her mouth, she stopped, and instead ended the conversation with a hint of what she wanted; a test to see if he picked up on it. Her smile became a grin focused on the right side of her face, eyes focused in on Youri still. "Perhaps soon, I can take lessons from both of you rather than relying on my image training so much. I think that would be fun." Viola's cheeks gave a slight blush as she turned back toward Kayoko, returning her smile to her face as her eyes locked with the sister.

Kayoko's gaze and explanation after Viola's demonstration was hilarious as she reacted like her powers were something far more powerful than they were. During her explanation of her powers, an audible laugh came from Viola, not meant to be hurtful in any manner, but as a reaction to Kayoko's startled look and wonderment. Viola quickly composed herself and apologized. "I'm sorry, I was caught off guard by your reaction to my power. I wasn't expecting you to be so caught up in it. I promise, it's not as cool or dangerous as it looks." Viola undercut her abilities not in doubt, but as a precaution. She had already gave them a show. The last thing she wanted to do was gloat about it. "Please, continue." She motioned her open palm face up toward Kayoko as a sign she was ready to listen again, with her smile once again coming back to her face.

After a moment, Kayoko presented a chashaku, a simple wooden scoop used for tea ceremonies, as her Relic. Viola stepped slightly close to Kayoko in response to her showing the Relic, in somewhat disbelief that this small item could hold that much power in it. It looked as if a small amount of stress could break it from Viola's perspective, but she understood, too, that not all Relics are made equally. Though this one was small, it's power was immense. Perhaps, too, the chashaku could be reinforced with its own powers, making it near indestructible. Either way, Kayoko continued her explanation that the Relic was left behind by a famous tea maker, Sen no Rikyu. From what history she knew, it was said his tea was incredible and the ceremonies he held were perfect, holding true even in the modern era as people train most of their lives to learn his rituals for making tea and have difficulty coming close to his level of expertise and grace.

Viola presented a question upon learning of the relic, wondering if Kayoko had learned any skills in tea making. Her face held a child-like curiosity to it, and her question could be construed as a lack of common sense for Viola.

"What an awesome Relic. Were the skills for making tea passed down in your family with the Relic?"

She knew it would be a bit of a long shot to ask if the Relic came with actual skills for making tea, but she couldn't be too sure until she asked. The child in her wanted to know, and the young adult in her held a massive face palm, knowing the answer well in advance, but not wanting to spoil the fun.

Viola held as she awaited Kayoko's answer, offering a quick glance with her eyes to Youri in an attempt to keep him involved, as well as see his reaction to the question at hand and her earlier hint. Viola also secretly pondered the thoughts she had about comparing Youri to his mother. It seemed a tad off to compare a man to a woman, but those outside the Kunishi wouldn't understand without knowing their history of women being the primary samurai of the clan. As such, most men in the province acted as laborers or heads while the women were conscripted to serve as defenders of the clan and, in times of war, as military units. The Konishi women were very tough, and only recently with the peace that had taken hold of the entirety of Japan had they been allowed to relax and have offspring who would know nothing of the atrocities of war, making them closer to the image of Viola; a tough girl on the outside, but a bit of a softer girl on the inside.

She gave pause to the thoughts, however, as Kayoko began her response.

--------------------
Viola Konishi
PMEmail
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Add Reply
New Poll

skin by bonbon.
Affiliates [ View All | Link-us ]
Summers Past Wicked Wonderland Rpg-Directory Panda Directory Below The Sun Distant Fantasies Seicho No Hana World of Remnant Fairy Tail Guild .hack//infinity PANDORA'S ASCENSION FORCED HEROES UNBOUND Black Static HEART SIGH Pandora Sedition Persona: Shallow Colour PAINTING UNDER THE FLAMES Tales of Hyrule RWBY-AU Those Among Us Starfall Together We Fall fate/breaking chains misfts! Chaos Theory Rise of the Believers Valar Dohaeris Love Hina Generation This Too Shall Pass Terrasphere CONFESSIONS Chroniques de la Dynastie le Roi Soleil Piori Incantatem Renascence STARSTRUKK ALOHOMORA | A NON-CANON HARRY POTTER RP Stroke of Luck Valar Dohaeris Prismatic Megalomania Catch-22 Break The Wheel BROKEN BONES & DIAL TONES! To Be Unmade: A marvel infinity war rp Celestial Gateway Academy Seito Institute Sidereal Gardens The Gaea Chronicles AGE OF KINGS LOREM IPSUM SAVE ME Kids in America Pokemon Horizons Imagine Fairy Tail Our Heroes and Villains EVENT HORIZON The Duality of Man LOVE TALK